Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's all hope that pompey survive !!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure what the fans were meant to do? We're not protesting and we've just spent over £100m in the last 2 or 3 years. None of us know if we can afford it.

I think I'm right in saying this. TB has loaned it to us (stadium and soon to be training ground development) interest free and with no repayment term. So in that respect we can clearly afford it. I suppose if TB's other business interests were to struggle he could demand repayment of all or part of it and then it could be problematic. He'd hardly put us into administration but that would be the trigger for a change in ownership with the incoming owner paying off part of the debt with terms to pay the remaining

I have some sympathy for the fans - football finances are shrouded in secrecy and fans are really forced to trust the owners. There are loads spending more than they are earning in the pursuit of success and the owners are happy to bail them out. Us poor fans don't have a clue to understand if they can afford to do it (wealthy people have bigger debts than us!) or if they'll have a change of heart, walk away and leave the club with a pile of debt and commitments it can't service.

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
The trouble is, football fans will complain instantly if they think the owners of their clubs lack ambition in the transfer market, but on the whole are not prepared to do anything when it is patently obvious their clubs are being run in a totally unsustainable way.

For what it's worth, I do hope that Pompey survives in some form, but their FA Cup win bordered on the fraudulent - they never had the means to pay for the players involved. Let them start again at the bottom of the footballing pyramid like Wimbledon and Aldershot.

xollob

Jun 9, 2012
Brighton
Not sure what the fans were meant to do? We're not protesting and we've just spent over £100m in the last 2 or 3 years. None of us know if we can afford it.

At last somebody with a brain and has the capacity to empathise! It's good to see a post from somebody that has actually thought about their reply before posting, makes a change from the brainless brigade on NSC

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Pompeii didn't survive I'm afraid
Pompeii_the_last_day_1.jpg

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I think I'm right in saying this. TB has loaned it to us (stadium and soon to be training ground development) interest free and with no repayment term. So in that respect we can clearly afford it. I suppose if TB's other business interests were to struggle he could demand repayment of all or part of it and then it could be problematic. He'd hardly put us into administration but that would be the trigger for a change in ownership with the incoming owner paying off part of the debt with terms to pay the remaining

I have some sympathy for the fans - football finances are shrouded in secrecy and fans are really forced to trust the owners. There are loads spending more than they are earning in the pursuit of success and the owners are happy to bail them out. Us poor fans don't have a clue to understand if they can afford to do it (wealthy people have bigger debts than us!) or if they'll have a change of heart and walk away.

I agree with much of this, but I think fans could and should be more proactive in scrutinising the way their clubs are run. By all means let wealthy owners pump their money into the infrastructure of the club (eg. stadium, training ground), but the danger comes when clubs become totally reliant on their benefactors to meet their operating costs (particularly players' wages). I know it's difficult to expect fans to protest against a star signing earning mega-bucks, but therein lies the problem.

xollob

Jun 9, 2012
Brighton
Exactly. Tour average fan turns up one or twice a week to watch football, not analyse the business model and accounts of that club.

Although I do agree, liquidation and starting again has to be the best option, rather than dragging their lifeless corpse of a club through another year or so before going bust again

The best option for Pompey is for the administrator to accept the PST BID !! Yes they may be relegated again but THE FANS WOULD OWN THE CLUB, Not a dodgy businessman, property developer, Liar, cheat, crook or asset stripping scumbag. So then at last PFC could live within its means at whatever level/league that would place them.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I agree with much of this, but I think fans could and should be more proactive in scrutinising the way their clubs are run. By all means let wealthy owners pump their money into the infrastructure of the club (eg. stadium, training ground), but the danger comes when clubs become totally reliant on their benefactors to meet their operating costs (particularly players' wages). I know it's difficult to expect fans to protest against a star signing earning mega-bucks, but therein lies the problem.

Absolutely. If TB says he's going to bankroll us to get us into the PL then what, do we protest about it? I don't think so. Many clubs do it, if they fail the owners need to decide if they do more or pull back or pull out. Thankfully it seems that TB is not going that route but if he had the money and wanted to then why not ... I think I might if I had a few hundred mill to play with. Problem with some of these foreign owners it later materialises they didn't have the dough and have saddled the club with debt and commitments that run for years (player contracts)

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

I have some sympathy for the fans - football finances are shrouded in secrecy and fans are really forced to trust the owners. There are loads spending more than they are earning in the pursuit of success and the owners are happy to bail them out. Us poor fans don't have a clue to understand if they can afford to do it (wealthy people have bigger debts than us!) or if they'll have a change of heart, walk away and leave the club with a pile of debt and commitments it can't service.

You are right of course, we all know TB wouldn't put us in to trouble. We are lucky that TB is a fan and not some fly by night foreign investor looking to make a few quid.

There's always that tiny tiny chance though that if it all goes wrong for him the football club will be the first to be sacrificed. You see in the news every day people who had a lot of money and then have nothing doing some very odd things!

Then we would see the same lack of sympathy Pompey are seeing, other clubs saying we should have done more while the millions were being spent.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It would be a travesty if Pompey were liquidated on 10th August. Due to mismanagement and the incompetence of the FA (sound familiar) the Pompey fans could find themselves without a club through no fault of their own. Let us not forget that the fans are not guilty of anything except supporting their team, Yes the various owners (reluctant, non existent and otherwise) made some shocking scandalous and downright ridiculous decisions, but the fans only decision was to support their team as we support ours. So for the good of football I truly hope that the PST (Portsmouth Supporters Trust) shares bid is approved by the administrator Trevor Birch (who happens to be on more than the reported £36k per week of Tal Ben Haim, one of the high earners he must offload for PFC to survive) Ironic that eh?
I'm a :bhasign: through and through but feel for our fellow fans just 50 miles down the road

Even there fans want them to go bust,it`s the only way to get rid of the leaches..

xollob

Jun 9, 2012
Brighton
What's your first language?

ENGLISH and yours is? Am I supposed to take the crap posts of so many numb skulls and pricks as fact? I'd rather go for the facts.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Lots of smoke and mirrors in the management of Pompey over past few years. Let's hope the supporters trust can get hold of it. Much as I dislike them, no true football fan wants to see them go out of business, particularly with what we have been through as a club.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
At last somebody with a brain and has the capacity to empathise! It's good to see a post from somebody that has actually thought about their reply before posting, makes a change from the brainless brigade on NSC

NSC's like that, you could start a thread saying Fred West is a bit of a wrong un and you'd find someone who disagreed. Some people are desperate for you to hear their opinion, and invent one if they think it'll get them noticed!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I have no strong feeling for any club other than the Albion,and we've been misled by charlatans in the past,I seem to remember.

I'd have been delighted,as would many others have been if we'd won the Cup,got in the top league,played in Europe,and I would not have been waking in the early hours to wonder how it had been achieved.

It is not my brief as an Albion supporter to dance on the grave of any other club,and though Portsmouth F.C's grave looks ominously deep I hope they achieve their miracle.

Not sure that relegation to the East Hants League or whatever is best for them.I know that some teams have been relegated by more than one division,and maybe this would have helped:a relegation to,say,league 2 which would have been cheaper might have helped,and yes I'm aware this could soon happen anyway.

I don't know enough about the background to Portsmouth's finances to pontificate - yes,I guess I already have - but I'm just a football supporter,just like thousands are of our south coast rivals.I know that many of them supported us in our travails,and I'm just not on for gloating at them in theirs.

I hope Pompey survive and prosper.

UTA.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They have a decent fan base, they'll survive in one form or another. Given their debts, winding up and starting over really would be the best thing for them. I'm not saying that to be nasty or unsupportive, but isn't that obviously their best course of action?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It would be a travesty if Pompey were liquidated on 10th August. Due to mismanagement and the incompetence of the FA (sound familiar) the Pompey fans could find themselves without a club through no fault of their own. Let us not forget that the fans are not guilty of anything except supporting their team, Yes the various owners (reluctant, non existent and otherwise) made some shocking scandalous and downright ridiculous decisions, but the fans only decision was to support their team as we support ours. So for the good of football I truly hope that the PST (Portsmouth Supporters Trust) shares bid is approved by the administrator Trevor Birch (who happens to be on more than the reported £36k per week of Tal Ben Haim, one of the high earners he must offload for PFC to survive) Ironic that eh?
I'm a :bhasign: through and through but feel for our fellow fans just 50 miles down the road

knowing what you are talking about before expressing an opinion often helps and that starts with research. If you had used the search function you might not only have discovered that the topic has been discussed at length but also that your basic premises are entirely false. But there you go..............................:shrug:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'd rather go for the facts.

The facts are that Pompey have gone into administration, not once, but TWICE inside 2 years.
The only thing that creditors care about is their money. Who owes them the money? The CLUB, not the fans.

Yes, it's hard on the fans, but he club must face up to what has happened.
If that puts them out of business, tough.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here