Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let Us All Now Offer Up Praise To Andy Murray

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I now how the seedings work, but as Soderling is out, it makes no difference this time. He only slipped in the ranking because of his poor run of form after reaching the final in Aus last year, I think he was badly affected by being beaten so comprehensively. Hopefully he's back stronger as he says - he certainly hasn't had to extend himself so far this year. The next round should be fine, then it will be Rafa. I would say at this point, odds on Rafa winning that one, but if, say, he has a tough quarter, anything can happen.

I'm not sure that I presumed he win at all, just said I think he will - will be a great shame if he doesn't. I really can't see Rafas' knees lasting 5 more years, being so young and having so many problems with them already, it's not going to get any easier. 5 years may be tops, but 3 years wouldn't surprise me. Of course Fed has been quite "lucky" not having any serious injuries over the years, but age will take it toll before too long.

Ok maybe not you but others have intimated he is young and he has time on his side. He does not, he needs to win now. I hope he does, but all this about having time to get mental toughness is wrong. Players of his age are winning Grand Slams now. In 2/3 years time, Nadal and Djorkovic will still be around (barring injuries, which can happen to Murray of course) and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a 20 year old sensation coming through or such like, as there always seems to be.

Good luck to him though. He is a classy player and good to watch on the court, however not so entertaining in post match interviews:laugh:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ok maybe not you but others have intimated he is young and he has time on his side. He does not, he needs to win now. I hope he does, but all this about having time to get mental toughness is wrong. Players of his age are winning Grand Slams now. In 2/3 years time, Nadal and Djorkovic will still be around (barring injuries, which can happen to Murray of course) and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a 20 year old sensation coming through or such like, as there always seems to be.

Good luck to him though. He is a classy player and good to watch on the court, however not so entertaining in post match interviews:laugh:

If he is to win more than one, I would agree that he should win sooner rather than later.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
those players not in fed and rafa's league

Wow...thats a statement and a half. Borg, McEnroe and Sampras not in their league.
Borg..11 Slams...5 straight Wimbledons and 6 straight French ( Grass and Clay )...surely the greatest tennis feat of all time. A man who changed a fairly staid game into a game for the masses, creating popstar type hysteria all the way.
McEnroe...one of the greatest ' touch ' players of all time...fabulous swinging serve..mentally tough...head to head with Connors like two gunslingers never giving an inch.
Sampras...ice-cool, grinding opponents down through sheer willpower and just a few Slams along the way.
These 3 are in that very rare pantheon of all time greats...Federer is in it and in time so will Nadal. Throw in Rod Laver and you have the 5 greatest players of all time ( with Nadal waiting in the wings to join them )
To dismiss players of that class with a throwaway line is an insult of the highest order.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mike, don't embarrass yourself. Sampras won 14 Grand Slam titles, Borg won 11, McEnroe won 7, Connors won 8, Becker won 6 (his first at 17 for goodness sake).

Roger Federer is widely regarded as being the greatest tennis player of all time, and Nadal looks like he may well overtake him. They are in a league of their own.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Why? He will get 4 chances a year, for about 8 years. That's 32 chances. No rush whatsoever.

What and you don't think every other player in the top 50 of the world that is the same age or younger than Murray isn't in exactly the same postion and has the same number of chances. 23 is not old for a tennis player but it is not ridicuolusly young either.

Becker won Wimbledon at 17, Sampras US Open at 19, McEnroe Wimbledon at 20, Federer 21, Nadal 11 months older than Murray has 9 grand slams already. Borg retired at 26 with 5 Wimbledons under his belt! It is very much a young mans game (18yo-30ish yo, unless exceptional e.g Agassi, probably Federer) and Murray should be coming into his prime now and if you are going to bring in time it is just as much on Djorkovic's side and Nadals too as Murray's as they are pretty much the same age.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Roger Federer is widely regarded as being the greatest tennis player of all time, and Nadal looks like he may well overtake him. They are in a league of their own.

who is to say that, given equal equipment, training resourses, balls and court conditions, they are any better than the others quoted

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
who is to say that, give equal equipment, training resourses, balls and court conditions, they are any better than the others

Pete Sampras, for one;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/08/tennis-roger-federer-pete-sampras

Sampras' choice is Federer. "Now that he's won in Paris, I think it just more solidifies his place in history as the greatest player that played the game, in my opinion," Sampras said. "I'm a huge Laver fan and he had a few years in there where he didn't have an opportunity to win majors. But you can't compare the eras and in this era the competition is much more fierce than Rod's."

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

As I said in an earlier post, Rafa win not overtake Fed, his knees will give out long before.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Such a pathetic comment.

I expect you've achieved far more in your life?

What a prick of a statement that is. We are talking about a professional tennis player and how he is judged compared to his peers. What the f*** has that got to do with what I have achieved in my life?

Although for the record, compared to yourself the answer is probably quite a lot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What and you don't think every other player in the top 50 of the world that is the same age or younger than Murray isn't in exactly the same postion and has the same number of chances. 23 is not old for a tennis player but it is not ridicuolusly young either.

Becker won Wimbledon at 17, Sampras US Open at 19, McEnroe Wimbledon at 20, Federer 21, Nadal 11 months older than Murray has 9 grand slams already. Borg retired at 26 with 5 Wimbledons under his belt! It is very much a young mans game (18yo-30ish yo, unless exceptional e.g Agassi, probably Federer) and Murray should be coming into his prime now and if you are going to bring in time it is just as much on Djorkovic's side and Nadals too as Murray's as they are pretty much the same age.

I'm still confused as to your point, we're talking about Murray winning ONE Grand Slam in his entire career, not being comparable to Becker, Sampras et al. Everything points to it being likely that he will achieve ONE Grand Slam in his entire career.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
he's not that mentally weak

his main problem is playing in the same era as the most gifted player ever (federer) and the most mentally strong ever (nadal)

Is the correct answer.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

I still say you cannot dismiss those other greats out of hand. Didn't Sampras beat Federer a little while back when he came out of retirement. ?
What about the wooden rackets that they used then....bit different now!
Pitch all of them against each other in their prime and you would be hard pressed to pick the winner of any game.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Murray is already way better than Henman IMHO. The way he demolished Austria's own Jürgen Melzer was mightily impressive.

He seems capable of doing well at all the grand slam events whereas Henman was only consistently threatening at Wimbledon.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I'm still confused as to your point, we're talking about Murray winning ONE Grand Slam in his entire career, not being comparable to Becker, Sampras et al. Everything points to it being likely that he will achieve ONE Grand Slam in his entire career.

My point is that time is not on his side. 23 is coming to middle age for a top 10 tennis player and his peers and his potential opponents over the next few years (excl. Fed) are the same age as him and are doing it (winning Slams) now.

It also pointed to tiger Tim to win a slam but he never did. Sampras and Agassi were too good for him. Will Nadal and Federer be that to Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here