Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let Us All Now Offer Up Praise To Andy Murray

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I hope the guys wins a Grand Slam. He's a Brit - albeit a rabid jock - so I can't find it in myself to want him to lose. However, I have been on this planet for a few years now and I reckon I can spot a sportsman with a mental flaw. I just get the feeling this guy hasn't got the toughness to win the really big ones. I get the impression that he always has a niggle or a strain that he can fallback on as an excuse should the pressure get too great. He's not unique in this - it takes a very special talent and temparament to win the really big games. And in his generation it has been Nadal and Federer who have it (and he's not unlucky, every generation has these dominant players). Murray may well win one - if he's good enough to get to two finals he should be good enough to get to more and to win one. But I'd be staggered if he wins more than one. Just my POV, which I believe I'm entitled to, so don't shoot me down.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Henman does not get the plaudits he deserves. He was consistently one of the most fear players on grass for almost a decade. Four semi-finals and four quarter-finals in the space of 9 years at Wimbledon was an excellent return. Just a shame that his career coincided with a dominant Sampras and a dominant Federer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's 23. He's got years and years to build that mental toughness. I'd bet you money he wins more than one.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
tiny tim in disguise

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Plus you're not going to win. Murray is very young and already miles better than Henman or Rusedski. He's got YEARS. Once Federer has retired it's between him and Nadal for EVERY trophy going, and he can beat Nadal. It's not IF, but WHEN.

I'm just hoping he is a massive bottler. I do fear for my 1er though, it's clearly a case of when, not if, he'll win a grand slam. I'm hoping as soon as he loses his legs then that's him done.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I hope the guys wins a Grand Slam. He's a Brit - albeit a rabid jock - so I can't find it in myself to want him to lose. However, I have been on this planet for a few years now and I reckon I can spot a sportsman with a mental flaw. I just get the feeling this guy hasn't got the toughness to win the really big ones. I get the impression that he always has a niggle or a strain that he can fallback on as an excuse should the pressure get too great. He's not unique in this - it takes a very special talent and temparament to win the really big games. And in his generation it has been Nadal and Federer who have it (and he's not unlucky, every generation has these dominant players). Murray may well win one - if he's good enough to get to two finals he should be good enough to get to more and to win one. But I'd be staggered if he wins more than one. Just my POV, which I believe I'm entitled to, so don't shoot me down.

A couple of years ago and I would have agreed with you, but the off-court work he has done, particularly in the off-season has been astounding. I would say there is no-one fitter than him on tour (a couple are in the same region, e.g. Davydenko), and very few faster than him on court. Having reached two slam finals, he was well beaten by an on-form Fed both times. He says, and I hope he's right, that he learnt a lot from his mauling in the final last year. He's beaten all these guys a few times now, just needs to get over the line in a big one. I reckon he can win at least 4 slams - but I think, never Wimbles (unfortunately)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Henman does not get the plaudits he deserves. He was consistently one of the most fear players on grass for almost a decade. Four semi-finals and four quarter-finals in the space of 9 years at Wimbledon was an excellent return. Just a shame that his career coincided with a dominant Sampras and a dominant Federer.

And if he'd been around earlier it would have been a shame it coincided with Borg or Becker or Macenroe. Or later it would be Federer and Nadal - there is always someone in tennis that DOES have the extra something to be the best. Just my view that he does not.

Edit: the one thing that might help Murray is that Nadal seems to have genuine injury problems. If he ends his career before its time and Federer is approaching the end of his, there could be a window before the next real champ comes along. We'll see.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
He's 23. He's got years and years to build that mental toughness. I'd bet you money he wins more than one.

Pretty much the same age as Nadal and Djorkovic. If time is on Murrays side it is on Nadal and Djorkovic's too. These two (barring injuries) are always going to be around during his career in Murray's way to a grand slam. When do you think Nadal will get that mental toughness that Murray has time to build?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think he'll win more than one. How would you price it up?

I'm going 'No career Grand slams' - 5-1
1 4-1
2 3-1
3 3-1
4 4-1
5 8-1
6 or more 14-1

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Pretty much the same age as Nadal and Djorkovic. If time is on Murrays side it is on Nadal and Djorkovic's too. These two (barring injuries) are always going to be around during his career in Murray's way to a grand slam. When do you think Nadal will get that mental toughness that Murray has time to build?

Age may be on the side of Nadal but his body isn't. His bad knees will force him to retire very early.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
he's not that mentally weak

his main problem is playing in the same era as the most gifted player ever (federer) and the most mentally strong ever (nadal)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
he's not that mentally weak

his main problem is playing in the same era as the most gifted player ever (federer) and the most mentally strong ever (nadal)

Bullshit. Borg. McEnroe. Becker. Sampras. and more before them. Every generation has stand out players. The fact is that Murray is simply one notch below players of that stature. Unlucky has nothing to do with it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I don't disagree with any of the above. But we know Murray can beat Nadal. They will share the Grand Slams between them, we're discussing as to whether Murray will win ONE, not whether he will dominate the whole sport.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Age may be on the side of Nadal but his body isn't. His bad knees will force him to retire very early.

I would like him to win one, but I think you are making a huge presumption that he will. Whatever you say about Rafa's knees at 24 he must have I reckon a minimum 5 more years (Fed is 29 and still bloody fantastic) and by then no doubt there will be some new young sensation hitting the scenes. I am surprised Murray has gone down to 5th seed as well. It is not a move in the right direction and makes any route to a grand slam that much harder (it should be Soderling, Nadal and Federer, for e.g in Australia, I know Soderling is out). Wheras if he was going in the right direction if he went up to 3 and say the number 2 seed gets knocked out that route is so much easier if you understand my thought process.

I hope I am proved wrong in the semis at Australia but I think Rafa has actually pulled away from him recently. He was getting close to Fed and Rafa (as we all know he has beaten them both) a couple of years ago (US Open 2008?) but Rafa beat him in 3 straight sets at Wimbledon last summer and actually seemed to be increasing the gap.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Bullshit. Borg. McEnroe. Becker. Sampras. and more before them. Every generation has stand out players. The fact is that Murray is simply one notch below players of that stature. Unlucky has nothing to do with it.

those players not in fed and rafa's league

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would like him to win one, but I think you are making a huge presumption that he will. Whatever you say about Rafa's knees at 24 he must have I reckon a minimum 5 more years (Fed is 29 and still bloody fantastic) and by then no doubt there will be some new young sensation hitting the scenes. I am surprised Murray has gone down to 5th seed as well. It is not a move in the right direction and makes any route to a grand slam that much harder (it should be Soderling, Nadal and Federer, for e.g in Australia, I know Soderling is out). Wheras if he was going in the right direction if he went up to 3 and say the number 2 seed gets knocked out that route is so much easier if you understand my thought process.

I hope I am proved wrong in the semis at Australia but I think Rafa has actually pulled away from him recently. He was getting close to Fed and Rafa (as we all know he has beaten them both) a couple of years ago (US Open 2008?) but Rafa beat him in 3 straight sets at Wimbledon last summer and actually seemed to be increasing the gap.

I now how the seedings work, but as Soderling is out, it makes no difference this time. He only slipped in the ranking because of his poor run of form after reaching the final in Aus last year, I think he was badly affected by being beaten so comprehensively. Hopefully he's back stronger as he says - he certainly hasn't had to extend himself so far this year. The next round should be fine, then it will be Rafa. I would say at this point, odds on Rafa winning that one, but if, say, he has a tough quarter, anything can happen.

I'm not sure that I presumed he win at all, just said I think he will - will be a great shame if he doesn't. I really can't see Rafas' knees lasting 5 more years, being so young and having so many problems with them already, it's not going to get any easier. 5 years may be tops, but 3 years wouldn't surprise me. Of course Fed has been quite "lucky" not having any serious injuries over the years, but age will take it toll before too long.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I I hope I am proved wrong in the semis at Australia but I think Rafa has actually pulled away from him recently. He was getting close to Fed and Rafa (as we all know he has beaten them both) a couple of years ago (US Open 2008?) but Rafa beat him in 3 straight sets at Wimbledon last summer and actually seemed to be increasing the gap.

I'm not sure Murray could win Wimbledon as grass is probably his worst surface to play on, I don't beleive he is far away from Nadal on hard courts though, he was very unlucky in the semi at the o2 end of last year, in what was probably one of the top three matches of the year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All the commentators are really struggling over the name of Murray's QF opponent Alexandr Dolgopolov. Every one of them has to stop halfway through his surname every time they try and say it :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here