Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let Us All Now Offer Up Praise To Andy Murray

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My point is that time is not on his side. 23 is coming to middle age for a top 10 tennis player and his peers and his potential opponents over the next few years (excl. Fed) are the same age as him and are doing it (winning Slams) now.

It also pointed to tiger Tim to win a slam but he never did. Sampras and Agassi were too good for him. Will Nadal and Federer be that to Murray.

Except they're both probably gone in the next 3-4 years and Murray will still be in good nick. Murray's a far better player than Henman.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Except they're both probably gone in the next 3-4 years and Murray will still be in good nick. Murray's a far better player than Henman.

That is a massive assumption you are making in respect of Nadal and Federer.

I agree Nadal's knees may have a big bearing on how long he goes on for, but in repect of Fed he is 29, Agassi played until 35 and was was still challenging for tournaments when he retired. I thought Agassi was fantastic but Fed is better (probably the best ever) if Fed wants to go on he has all the tools to do so, it is all down to his own desire (and injuries).

I do agree about Murray being better than Henman, he has a much more all round game than tiger Tim who was basically a very good serve/volley man.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh well in that case Murray has even longer than I thought, perhaps another 12 years (48 Grand Slams up for grabs) to win ONE set of matches.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In all seriousness, Henman was a great player, on grass. Murray is better, because he plays at the highest level on all surfaces. Murray has reached a grand slam final, and a semi. Henman never managed a final but managed several Wimbledon semi finals.

I'd say Murray was better, but not by much. As proof, he has beaten Federer when Fed was top of his game, so it shows he has the talent. However, he needs to win something to avoid being bunched with the other Brits who were decent but not spectacular, and personally I wouldn't put my mortgage on it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My point is that time is not on his side. 23 is coming to middle age for a top 10 tennis player and his peers and his potential opponents over the next few years (excl. Fed) are the same age as him and are doing it (winning Slams) now.

It also pointed to tiger Tim to win a slam but he never did. Sampras and Agassi were too good for him. Will Nadal and Federer be that to Murray.

Agreed. I think Tim was under-rated by many, he was a top 10 player for roughly 10 years, which is no mean feat. Howver, he never really threatened the top guys at the time - any time he met them, and a couple of slam semis (oo er missus) probably wasn't enough. However, Murray is in a different class, has beaten all the top guys numerous times, and is quite rightly cemented in the top 5. I personally feel the mens top 10 is comparatively stronger now that at any time I remember, with some awesome talent there.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Really? Fair enough. But for me, he doesn't really stand out among the other recentish half decent British tennis's better players.

He should pack up tennis and give football a go. He'd probably walk into your shit national team.

I know he hasnt won one yet but seriously ?... he is light years ahead of Henman at his best.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Oh well in that case Murray has even longer than I thought, perhaps another 12 years (48 Grand Slams up for grabs) to win ONE set of matches.

Well he couldn't do it in the 16/20? or so chances he has had so far.

Also he doesn't have until he is 35 because eventhough he is better than Henman, he is not as good as Agassi was or Federer is. Because he is (at the time and in his prime) "just" a top 5 or so player (and not a great, unlike the other two) his career will be on the decline and he will be sliding down the rankings by the time he is 30.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know he hasnt won one yet but seriously ?... he is light years ahead of Henman at his best.
No, no he isn't. He's slightly better than Henman at his best was. As has been said before, Henman was a top ten player for a decade and one of the most feared grass court players on the circuit. So "light years ahead" is a massive misrepresentation of the truth.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No, no he isn't. He's slightly better than Henman at his best was. As has been said before, Henman was a top ten player for a decade and one of the most feared grass court players on the circuit. So "light years ahead" is a massive misrepresentation of the truth.

We will have to disagree on this one. For me though Murray would beat Henman in his prime on every surface.
And Murray has yet to reach his peak.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
What a prick of a statement that is. We are talking about a professional tennis player and how he is judged compared to his peers. What the f*** has that got to do with what I have achieved in my life?

Although for the record, compared to yourself the answer is probably quite a lot.

Yeh and this professional tennis player happens to be one of the best 5 players in the WORLD. He happens to have reached number 2 in the WORLD. He happens to have reached two grand slam finals before he turned 23. He happens to be leading the head to head count against arguably the best player ever to play the game.

I'm glad I'm not such a failure like Murray!

But yeh until you win a grand slam you won't have Bring back Bryan wade's respect :lolol:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I think he'll win this one.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I don't really understand the hatred some English have towards Murray due to something that was quite clearly a misquote. However this may be because I an half scottish myself...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Disagree, Murray is a force at every slam where as Henman had the one season where he reached the semis in 2/3 of the four.

Murray has won quite a few Masters events. I think Henman won one.

Murray is a fixture in the end of season Champions race final as well.

Also the standard of the average players is fair greater than it was a few years ago in my view.

Henman was great for British sport, but Murray is miles better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wednesday 26 January on BBC Two, the BBC Red Button, Radio 5 live & online from approximately 0300 GMT:

Andy Murray (GB) (5) v Alexandr Dolgopolov (Ukr)

:thumbsup:

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I guessing this thread was started by a sweaty? I delight in the failure of anyone or anything remotely scottish which in sporting terms is pretty much everything much to my constant amusement. Murray is an anomaly however in that he's actually not that bad, luckily he's an ugly miserable cock which helps me dislike him.

Stumpy Tim

Disagree, Murray is a force at every slam where as Henman had the one season where he reached the semis in 2/3 of the four.

Murray has won quite a few Masters events. I think Henman won one.

Murray is a fixture in the end of season Champions race final as well.

Also the standard of the average players is fair greater than it was a few years ago in my view.

Henman was great for British sport, but Murray is miles better.

This. Murray is twice the player Henman was, apart maybe on grass. He's reached two Major finals, won countless tournaments, hit number 2 in the world, and is cemented in the top 5. And he's only 23. It's a shame for him Nadal & Fed are around, but I guess the same could be said for many players in the top 5 from every decade. There's always one or two top players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here