Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let off some steam with your 'favourite' words that people get wrong.....

So many, so many...

The use of 'of' when what is meant is 'have' is just stupid - and very common on here.

And then there's 'however' used as a conjunction.

The use of 'that' in non-restrictive clauses - unquestionably the very worst Americanism.

However, 'literally' when used to stress a metaphor is the one that probably angers me the most.

Dalef65

Oct 12, 2010
One that really gets me is when people say
"There is a question MARK over......... etc,etc"

When are people going to understand that there are no question MARKS over anything.There may be "questions",but certainly not question marks.....!

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned. I hate to hear 'vacation'. It's a holiday now f*** off back to the states and interbreed.

The proper English spelling gaol has been all but lost; not only due to the number of Westerns imported from Hollywood, but also Waddington's failure to correct the spelling on that game from the States that they Anglified (the card should read 'get out of gaol free'!)

Last edited:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Maintainance instead of maintenance.

Commentators who make no attempt to find out how someone's name is pronounced - how many different versions are there of Kuipers?!!!

Incorrect pronunciation of commonly used foreign words eg tag-lee-atelli; la-sag-nee!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here