Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let off some steam with your 'favourite' words that people get wrong.....

"Weargunna" - pronounced to rhyme with "rear gunner". This is a favourite of Politicians of all colours. What they actually mean to say is "we are going to".

Not strictly a word but one that retailers always annoy me with is "cheaper prices". One day I am going to go and ask for a dozen prices, as they are cheaper. And don't get me started on "...where quality is cheaper".

.....and relax.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football reporters who should know better pronounce Roman Abramovich as it appears when he has said many times it is pronounced as in Ro-marn Abra- movich not as in Roman (the old warriers) Ab ram o vich

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh, you're not alone FC: it completely does my head in too!

And don't get me started on the "AHHHHHH LOOK" that Aussie cricketers (& now a few of our own) use to start an answer or statement with. It's on a par with all that talking about yourself in the 3rd person bollox.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :tantrum:

Not just Aussie Cricketers mate, plenty of Aussies start a sentence with "Look!" drive me nuts as does the Bogan use of yous.

Are yous coming?

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
'Alternate' when it should be 'Alternative'
'Disinterested' when it should be 'Uninterested'
'Less' when it should be 'Fewer'
Pilots saying 'we will be taking off momentarily' is a good one, too.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
The number 'free' (one, two, FREE, four, etc.)

Also, for some reason I find it intensely irritating when commentators put on a foreign accent to pronounce foreign footballers or teams names. I can't imagine foreign commentators putting on a cod-scouse accent when talking about Jamie Carragher. Although, conversely, I would absolutely love it if they did...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Would of instead of would have.
Pacific instead of specific
Haitch instead of aitch
Just a tadge instead of tad
The Steve Wright Show every day where he mispronounces any long word to sound like one of the common people

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
'Alternate' when it should be 'Alternative'
'Disinterested' when it should be 'Uninterested'
'Less' when it should be 'Fewer'
Pilots saying 'we will be taking off momentarily' is a good one, too.

The 'less' 'fewer' example is a strange one. I know how they should be used, but because they are so commonly misused it almost seems pretentious to use them correctly eg. Waitrose's '10 items or fewer' checkout.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
'at this moment in time' always strikes me as a long-winded and pretentious way of saying 'at the moment', or 'now'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
minellium instead of millenium

artitect instead of architect

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Frickin'

This horrible americanism makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. If you are upset use good anglo saxon f***ing, if you are not use flipping, it's not hard

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not really getting the word wrong, but anyone of non-Italian extraction who uses the word "Ciao" should be shot on sight

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
One hundred fifty

NO it's one hundred AND fifty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here