Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let off some steam with your 'favourite' words that people get wrong.....

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Have a look at Sam The Seagull's recent posts on the EB thread.

I had to re-read them a couple of times, just to understand!

I mean dont fey teech grammer in skoll feese dayz

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nu-cu-lar

nuclear_symbol.gif

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
People who don't know the difference between apprise and appraise.

'Can you keep me appraised on that item'

Really, you want me to assess you?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
People who use the word "regularly" when they mean "frequently"

e.g. Halleys Comet is a regular visit to our skies, but it sure as hell ain't frequent. Whereas a striker may make frequent sorties down the pitch, but they sure as hell won't be regular.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
People who use the word "regularly" when they mean "frequently"

e.g. Halleys Comet is a regular visit to our skies, but it sure as hell ain't frequent. Whereas a striker may make frequent sorties down the pitch, but they sure as hell won't be regular.

Yep, that gets me as well...

That and people who don't understand what decimate means, but luckily that's not used frequently where I work.

Dirk lovelace

Jul 14, 2009
Yep, that gets me as well...

That and people who don't understand what decimate means, but luckily that's not used frequently where I work.

I believe the Oxford English dictionary now supports both the old and new meaning of decimate, so you might need to let that one go now.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Working in the print industry, one that constantly gets my goat is those that do not know the difference between staionery and stationary.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It annoys me when people talk about a footballer's performance in absolutes "he won every tackle" when he perhaps won a lot, most even, but not every, especially when it's said as a fact and not hype. I mean there are times people talk about a footballer doing something at every oppportunity and it's clear they are hyping it, and that's fine. But when it's said in all seriousness "every penalty we've missed has gone to the keeper's right" - nonsense.

Accept instead of except.
Mute instead of moot

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
People who think they're talking posh and always using 'I' instead of 'me', when the 1st person isn't the subject of the sentence. E.g. 'This car was bought by my wife and I'. Grrrrr!

Oh yeah, and 'newcular' as well, George W Bush couldn't even pronounce this correctly!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Northerners calling trousers "pants", no pants are pants and trousers are trousers

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Using 'alternate' instead of 'alternative'. As in a road sign I saw that indicated road works ahead and told drivers to 'use alternate routes'. :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here