Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let off some steam with your 'favourite' words that people get wrong.....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The sign outside our local gym reads "just loose it".

There is a company in this country that sells everything bathroom related called "Bathroom Bizarre".

People who end every question with the word "hey" (a South African affliction)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
"Advanced bookings" - no, they usually aren't
scalectrix cars
Any made-up word for the latest scandal - does it HAFF to end in "gate"?

Last edited:

Robski

Oct 6, 2010
Worthing
'I could care less' where it is plainly obvious that you mean you couldn't.
'Jography', particularly when said by someone employed for their supposed linguistic skills
Using 'then' instead of 'than'. 'FCUM are no better then any other non-league club'
Sumpfink, nuffink, anyfink
To/too 'To much too take'
Following a quote with 'Agreed'/'I agree' shows that you concur. 'Agree' on its own implies an instruction to others to do so.
Funnyman - as used by tabloid hacks referring to someone who is as amusing as having bowel cancer (Jim Davidson, Michael McIntyre et al).

There has obviously been a mistake if any of the following combinations appear together in a sentence:
Richard Littlejohn/respected journalist
Tony Blair/peace envoy
'I'm not being racist but...'/a balanced and enlightening exposition on the state of modern society

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
"Advanced bookings" - no, they usually aren't

'Pre-planned'. If you have planned something you have obviously already done it.

'Giving 110%'. How can you give 10% more than your maximum output?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
'Oriented/disoriented' (American version?) instead of 'orientated/disorientated'.

'I did it off my own back'. NOOOOOO you did NOT!!!! You did it off your own BAT, it's a sporting term originally!

And the laughable sight as you drive out of Waitrose car park Brighton and are greeted with a dentist's sign which says 'practicing gentle treatment'. Presumably pronounced 'PRACTICKING', what's that then?! How difficult is it for some people - especially signwriters - to spell the verb practising correctly?

Ooooh nearly forgot the Offy in Sackville Road by the Sally Army which hedges its bets by spelling Off Licence with a 'c' in one place and an 's' in another.

And the newsagent in Hangleton where the sign does indeed proclaim that they sell 'stationary'.

Rant over, hello all from a long time lurker and Albion fan since the seventies :)

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It's like a red rag to a bull to some people...

I made the mistake of mentioning to my old boy while we were listening to a BBC 5Live match commentary, about David Pleat mispronouncing footballer's names, and the old fella then starting to do the same at every available opportunity :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
People who call the goal, the goals, as a certain co-commentator does on ITV, Mr Townsend.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Does anyone remember the Tuders one the beeb a few years ago?

Of course you do... anyway

They quite rightly reaslised that Henry VIII was a humanist. Thats the study of old texts you twats not some lovey dovey modern human who gives a f*** about other people!

It does make you feel better you're right.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
"I've got a scratch"

no...you have an ITCH...you are SCRATCHING the ITCH when you say it...dumbass!

innit

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
stop that piece of tv shit Eastenders and you might stop people talking as if it is usual to talk like that.

And to think that programme goes world-wide. I shudder.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My blood is literally made to boil by students who are unable to use correctly the words "affect" and "effect".

When people use the word "literally" when quite plainly its not literal at all.

"He's quite literally killed him there"
"He's literally cut him in half with that tackle"

:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here