Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon to Swans - official

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
:wave: He's just the right height for taking part in their national sport down there. :)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Chippy's interview in the Argus article

Albion stalwart Richard Carpenter warned Leon Knight today there will be no hiding place at Swansea.

Carpenter is "not bothered" about Knight's switch from the Seagulls to the Welshmen for £125,000.

He is concentrating instead on playing a pivotal part in Albion's fight for Championship survival now that he is fit again and his regular midfield partner Charlie Oatway has been ruled out for the rest of the season.

Carpenter, signed six years ago by Micky Adams, manager of today's FA Cup visitors Coventry, knows how demanding Welsh fans can be. He had two seasons at Cardiff before joining the Seagulls.

Asked about the enigmatic Knight's departure, Carpenter declared: "I'm not bothered. Leon's Leon and at the end of the day he has got himself a decent move. Swansea are a good side.

"Leon's got great ability and nobody has ever doubted the fact that he is a good player.

"Unfortunately, somewhere along the line he's lost himself a little bit and probably a change will do him the world of good.

"Put it this way, there's no hiding place down there. The fans, as passionate as they are, expect players to give no less than 100 per cent.

"If they feel people are pulling the wool over their eyes they won't accept it."

tainan

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
Chippy's interview in the Argus article

"If they feel people are pulling the wool over their eyes they won't accept it."

Good choice of phrase! :clap:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
No, we don't know the details of the sell on. Most sell on's are just for the next deal, some do have caveats about future deals, but only if the original buying club receives any money from these further deals.

We don't know the details of the sell on clauses, so we can't say for sure.

Most clubs do or there is a massive loop hole you can have fun with

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Yorkie said:
"I'm not bothered. Leon's Leon and at the end of the day he has got himself a decent move...
...Put it this way, there's no hiding place down there. The fans, as passionate as they are, expect players to give no less than 100 per cent. If they feel people are pulling the wool over their eyes they won't accept it."

I think this is all very telling especially the first part, Carpenter clearly feels that Knight has engineered the move. Also its clear Chippy (and probably the rest of the squad) feel that Leon wasn't pulling his weight.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I thought Leons comments in the argus today shows how much he really felt for Brighton. I have not got the quote to hand but it was basically saying the fans and players are great. Brighton will be on the up at Falmer and special thanks to Charlie, Uncle Albert and Dick Knight.
We will miss you Leon. Good Luck with the Swans matey

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Les Biehn said:
Also its clear Chippy (and probably the rest of the squad) feel that Leon wasn't pulling his weight.

Giraffe posted as much on another thread quoting one of the younger players (not named for obvious reasons)

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
B.M.F said:
I thought Leons comments in the argus today shows how much he really felt for Brighton. I have not got the quote to hand but it was basically saying the fans and players are great.

In a statement released via his representatives, Icon Sports Management, Knight said: "I had three great seasons at Brighton and made some good friends.

"Brighton fans have also been first class to me and my greatest memory in football is the goal that I scored to get Brighton promoted to the Championship at the Millennium Stadium.

"Brighton's approval for their new stadium will hopefully take the club in a new direction and give the fans and the team the stadium they deserve.

"Special thanks go to the chairman Dick Knight. What he has done for Brighton is unbelievable and he has been fantastic to me during my time at Brighton.

"I have made many friends within the team and special thanks go to Charlie Oatway and Albert Jarrett.

"There are many good players coming through like Jake Robinson and Colin Kazim-Richards who are the future of Brighton. I wish Brighton the best of luck and every success for the rest of the season."

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
No, we don't know the details of the sell on. Most sell on's are just for the next deal, some do have caveats about future deals, but only if the original buying club receives any money from these further deals.

We don't know the details of the sell on clauses, so we can't say for sure.

I agree than none of us know the detailed content of a sell-on clause. But it would be unworkable if it were to be for more than the players next move only. Here's why.

Lets say (hypothetically) that Chelsea have agreed a 50% sell-on for LK for ALL future moves. Lets also say that Brighton have also agreed a 50% sell-on for LK for ALL future moves. Next year Swansea sell LK and whatever the fee, Chelsea get 50% and so do Brighton - But Swansea (who would get othing at this point) also agreed a 50% sell-on for LK for ALL future moves. What happens next time? 3 clubs all can't have 50% - its not possible.

Also, I don't think this would be permitted under contract law. My guess is that any sell-on clause can ONLY be for the next sale.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Shropshire Seagull said:
I agree than none of us know the detailed content of a sell-on clause. But it would be unworkable if it were to be for more than the players next move only. Here's why.

Lets say (hypothetically) that Chelsea have agreed a 50% sell-on for LK for ALL future moves. Lets also say that Brighton have also agreed a 50% sell-on for LK for ALL future moves. Next year Swansea sell LK and whatever the fee, Chelsea get 50% and so do Brighton - But Swansea (who would get othing at this point) also agreed a 50% sell-on for LK for ALL future moves. What happens next time? 3 clubs all can't have 50% - its not possible.

Also, I don't think this would be permitted under contract law. My guess is that any sell-on clause can ONLY be for the next sale.

No it works like this

Leon moves to swansea for 125k
chelski get 50%

say brighton had 50% sell on

leon moves to huddersfield for 200k

brighton get 100k but have to give 50% to chelsea

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
KinkyHitler said:
No it works like this

chelski get 50%

The stocks and shares of football!:rolleyes:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
KinkyHitler said:
No it works like this

chelski get 50%

That is daft! Could I sell my house like that and get a cut for every sale it makes from that point on?

As I said, I don't think contract law permits this 2nd and 3rd generation sale.

But since we don't know, there's little point in discussing any further.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Why such a rush though? Wouldn't anyone else come in for a few quid more?

His attitude has been surly for quite some time now - his subbing at the Cardif game was a low point.

We keep selling - and don't bring in equivalent or better players, so the overall quality goes down.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Seems to be a lot of harsh criticism of Leon being posted - what short memories!

I have to agree the stats show he has not being getting enough goals this season, but I have only ever seen him work hard for the team (all at away games).

maybe more to it than ability and work rate - strikers by definition need feeding, and the right food.

I am reminded of Dean Saunders - clearly had ability when with us, but I have memories of him running his legs off trying to reach poorly weighted passes, or running into spaces that he could see but the midfielders didn't. Proved his class elsewhere for other clubs, and for Wales. Proving his ability to read a game as he progresses into management.

maybe this will happen with Leon.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
zego said:
Seems to be a lot of harsh criticism of Leon being posted - what short memories!

I have to agree the stats show he has not being getting enough goals this season, but I have only ever seen him work hard for the team (all at away games).

maybe more to it than ability and work rate - strikers by definition need feeding, and the right food.

I am reminded of Dean Saunders - clearly had ability when with us, but I have memories of him running his legs off trying to reach poorly weighted passes, or running into spaces that he could see but the midfielders didn't. Proved his class elsewhere for other clubs, and for Wales. Proving his ability to read a game as he progresses into management.

maybe this will happen with Leon.

You remember Leon running?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here