Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon says sorry

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Man of Harveys said:
Well said. I wonder if people that so enthusiastically endorse this innovative "Big f***ing Baby" (or "BFB") approach to manager-staff relations would dare to act like that at their own place of work.

I wouldn't expect my staff to have tantrums, nor would I expect to have to rip them a new arsehole in public, or refuse to let them work with the rest of the office until they had apologised - and in particular I would not have told them to stay away if we had an important task coming up!

Leon should not have thrown one on the pitch, MM should not have made his demand for an apology public. It should have been a disciplinary matter within the club with a press release at the end if the club thought it was necessary.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Since going into a big strop and storming off the pitch is so appealing to certain sections, can we make it club policy that all substitutes must:

Go off the pitch in a big huff, not acknowledge the crowds applause, ignore the manager and sit on their own in the corner.

Nothing shows you "care" more than acting like a f***ing child.

I think you're in danger of upsetting the "Leon walks on water" faction...

Other than that-you are spot on:clap:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
I dont believe Leon walks on water, in fact a lot of the time I think he has a habit of being a lazy shit. However it was handled poorly by McGhee and he should not have been left out of the team. Discipline needs to be in other areas. It doesnt encourage a good forward relationship between this two.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
About time. I had just thought of putting his picture on the beautiful posers thread!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
HampshireSeagulls said:
I wouldn't expect my staff to have tantrums, nor would I expect to have to rip them a new arsehole in public, or refuse to let them work with the rest of the office until they had apologised - and in particular I would not have told them to stay away if we had an important task coming up!

Fair enough, GPWM, but I can't agree, I'm afraid. If I displayed a flambuoyantly ill-mannered and arrogant disdain for my boss' decisions in front of the entire office (plus the football-specific factor of having another 5-6,000 people witnessing it), I would not expect simply to get away with it. You should be dressed down for that and (in most cases) be temporarily removed from doing your job - managers of any kind have to be able to manage.

Anyway, Leon needed a slap for being a nob, he got it, hopefully we'll all reap the benefit of his now having a point to prove.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
caz99 said:
I dont believe Leon walks on water, in fact a lot of the time I think he has a habit of being a lazy shit. However it was handled poorly by McGhee and he should not have been left out of the team. Discipline needs to be in other areas. It doesnt encourage a good forward relationship between this two.

Leon clearly pissed off at least 2 of his team-mates, as well as MM and a large number of Albion fans. His display was also very public-in front of the largest concentration of Albion fans. He now knows that the club will always be more important than any individual and hopefully will become the player we all know he is capable of being.

If he holds a grudge, sulks and doesn't give the required 100% (in training too), then there's no place for him and we should be looking for a replacement. Whereas, hopefully, we're now looking for somebody to play alongside him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
caz99 said:
However it was handled poorly by McGhee and he should not have been left out of the team.
The fact that Leon has apologised after just one match out in the cold - and in all likelihood might actually play with a point to prove in the next game - would seem to suggest that McGhee handled the situation absolutely perfectly.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Brighton Bloke said:
Thank god big Guy is the ultimate professional!!

I wonder if he had petulant fits in his younger days?

:ohmy:

Not that I know of, although He did have a run in with a certain manager over something that wasnt his fault at Gillingham (it was to do with the local rag/journo that had been banned from Priestfield by Scally) and was sent home and told he would never play for the club again. He was even made to train with the kids etc but took it all on the chin and kept fit.

The fans started chanting his name each week cos they were getting beat, and eventually he was put on the bench and he came on scored and they won the match!! He was offered a new contract, they got promoted, and was runner up in Player of the Year! Hmmmm lots of humble pie!

Most players have run ins with the boss at some stage in their career, its just what happens but it always gets sorted one way or another!

:lolol:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Race said:
Not that I know of, although He did have a run in with a certain manager over something that wasnt his fault at Gillingham (it was to do with the local rag/journo that had been banned from Priestfield by Scally) and was sent home and told he would never play for the club again. He was even made to train with the kids etc but took it all on the chin and kept fit.

The fans started chanting his name each week cos they were getting beat, and eventually he was put on the bench and he came on scored and they won the match!! He was offered a new contract, they got promoted, and was runner up in Player of the Year! Hmmmm lots of humble pie!

Most players have run ins with the boss at some stage in their career, its just what happens but it always gets sorted one way or another!

In other words roll your sleeves up and get on with it.

Top bloke!!

:bowdown:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Race said:

Not much chance of an answer, but worth a try......as a squad who were most of the team backing in the recent showdown, no names just the general feeling from the team?

please :wave:

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Man of Harveys said:
Fair enough, GPWM, but I can't agree, I'm afraid. If I displayed a flambuoyantly ill-mannered and arrogant disdain for my boss' decisions in front of the entire office (plus the football-specific factor of having another 5-6,000 people witnessing it), I would not expect simply to get away with it. You should be dressed down for that and (in most cases) be temporarily removed from doing your job - managers of any kind have to be able to manage.

Anyway, Leon needed a slap for being a nob, he got it, hopefully we'll all reap the benefit of his now having a point to prove.

Exactly.

Football is a game played out in the public eye, with every single event subject to ever-increasing scrutiny by the public. This includes situations that result in disciplinary proceedings, unlike situations in an office environment that may be witnessed by a couple of dozen people at the most.

The trouble with this particular incident is that no-one can ever win. If Mark McGhee had done nothing and immediately restored Leon to the team for the Stoke game, you can bet that there would have been a number of people accusing him of not being able to control the players!!

I think there are certain situations where the manager (of an office or of a football team) NEEDS to display his authority publicly. By demonstrating his annoyance at being substituted, Leon almost FORCED Mark McGhee to go public with his comments. If he had walked off and demanded a meeting the following day at training, without showing his obvious irritation at the time, we probably wouldn't have known anything about it. All sorted out in-house, job done.

All situations like this have positives to be taken. Leon Knight will now come back trying extra hard to impress Mark McGhee (and the fans for that matter) and Mark McGhee knows that by dealing with it in such a public way he will get a more motivated player in future games and lets face it, the players need to be totally up for every single game.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
HampshireSeagulls said:

Na you'd run 'em down to the fleet joss and have 'em trooped ....... swing that f**king lamp:p

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Simster said:
The fact that Leon has apologised after just one match out in the cold - and in all likelihood might actually play with a point to prove in the next game - would seem to suggest that McGhee handled the situation absolutely perfectly.

Well he wont be in the shop window if he doesnt play

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
Well he wont be in the shop window if he doesnt play

Leon in a shop window would look quite cute, what would he selling do you think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here