Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight to Notts Forest for £400K??!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
London Irish said:
Leon's scoring record was odd in that League 1 - loads of goals playing with Darius Henderson and Chris McPhee in the first few months of the season, then drying up when he played with Benjamin and Iwelumo.

I think what happened is that other teams sussed him quite quickly that year, marked him more closely and he didn't really have the pace to get away from tight marking. Which is his goal-scoring weakness to this day, particularly against Championship defenders who are generally much quicker than him.

Fair enough, the same thing happened to Peter Ward at the same standard, and it happens with Michael Owen as well.

All sorts of different remedies are thought up. The large ( any bigger than Crouch?) striker that can take the weight of the smaller goalscorer, the Ward-type going deeper or wider, better running off the ball (suited to players with greater stamina (Geoff Hurst instead of Jimmy Greaves).

I think the Time Bandits could work a bit. Needs lots of cute passing and skills and most important of all knowing how and when to keep the ball and when to make the pass.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
McGhee was salivating at the prospect of Marcus Tudgay. I think he'd be perfect for us, quick and good finisher, shame that has gone a bit quiet.
Still out of contract in the summer though. I'd love us to sign him, as a partner for Leon rather then a replacement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Still out of contract in the summer though. I'd love us to sign him, as a partner for Leon rather then a replacement.

Except I have it on good authority we'll be in league one and Leon won't be signing for us again, so I doubt Tudgay would come here ;)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
enigma said:
Very true. For instance, I dont think he had scored anywhere near those figures in previous years.

Henderson was much maligned on NSC but seems to be doing well at Watford.

The trouble is with Leon is that he is small, so easy to knock off the ball, and when marked tightly finds if difficult to escape the marking.

Henderson is a very good player

sirmax2004

Sep 7, 2005
Brighton
i doubt we'd get tudgay even if we are still in the championship next season as i reckon they'll be a lot better offers for him from the "bigger" clubs in the division

sirmax2004 said:
i doubt we'd get tudgay even if we are still in the championship next season as i reckon they'll be a lot better offers for him from the "bigger" clubs in the division

You are probably right. It was depressing to read in the Argus this morning that we couldn't even afford the wages of the bit-part Cardiff striker Alan Lee. It just shows you what an uneven playing field competing in this division is.

Although fair play to McGhee, he went after Lee hard and when the game at Withdean came along, he was shown to be a good judge of a footballer :(

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Bloody hell. Just read that bit about Alan Lee on the on-line Argus, depressing reading indeed. Lee must have been on a fair wedge (maybe he still is?) thanks to Cardiff's near disastarous wage structure, but you'd like to think he would drop the demands in order to get first team football.

He's the sort of player that we are missing at the moment. Was the fee/wage demands package for Lee higher than the amount we paid for CKR & Turienzo combined? Is it better to spend cash on the here & now than invest in future potential?

Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Bloody hell. Just read that bit about Alan Lee on the on-line Argus, depressing reading indeed. Lee must have been on a fair wedge (maybe he still is?) thanks to Cardiff's near disastarous wage structure, but you'd like to think he would drop the demands in order to get first team football.

He's the sort of player that we are missing at the moment. Was the fee/wage demands package for Lee higher than the amount we paid for CKR & Turienzo combined? Is it better to spend cash on the here & now than invest in future potential?

The additional complicating factor is the effect on our wage structure. If you bring in a player like Lee (who is no real superstar) that breaks it, all the other guys are gonna be pounding on the door wanting rises and you are left with a disgruntled bunch of players and questionable team spirit. The tightrope that McGhee has to walk is murderous.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
London Irish said:
The additional complicating factor is the effect on our wage structure. If you bring in a player like Lee (who is no real superstar) that breaks it, all the other guys are gonna be pounding on the door wanting rises and you are left with a disgruntled bunch of players and questionable team spirit. The tightrope that McGhee has to walk is murderous.

Thank christ somebody else says this. I've been trying to get Kinky and the others to realise that McGhee is trying his best with the bum-hand he is being dealt. He may not be the most inspiring manager, but we are not down and we may not go down, and if we don't, it will be another outstanding achievement.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seagull73 said:
Thank christ somebody else says this. I've been trying to get Kinky and the others to realise that McGhee is trying his best with the bum-hand he is being dealt. He may not be the most inspiring manager, but we are not down and we may not go down, and if we don't, it will be another outstanding achievement.

El turi 150k plus wages = enough to sign lee

KinkyGoebels said:
El turi 150k plus wages = enough to sign lee

Not according to the Argus, he was out of our wage structure and hence budget :wave:

KinkyGoebels said:
Maybe because the budget was wasted:wave:

Even if we hadn't had gone for El Turi, it wouldn't have been enough as Lee wanted far more in wages. And maybe you wanna give El Turi a bit longer than 3 sub appearances before you crap all over him :wave:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
El Turi didn't want wages way out of our price range.

Lee did.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Cardiff got rid of a lot of players because their wage bill was too high. Hearsay, says they cannot (or will not) afford Ricketts and his wages are still subsidised by Leeds.

Alan Lee is a very good player, I thought. Or rather he had such a turn of pace that he looked very dangerous. Lee may be on £1500 a week (my guess) or less. Is that too much?

I would be inclined to unload a few (like at least six) players and get some decent players in.

perseus said:
I would be inclined to unload a few (like at least six) players and get some decent players in.

Percy, we were down to about 14 or 15 fit outfield players for the Palace game. You are having a laugh :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here