Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon and the Black Armband [Merged threads]

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Leon and the Black Armband

Personally I think there is a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill here.

He has thrown it off twice before.

What's your view ?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
a bit disrespectful but maybe there is a genuine reason (something about pressure around arm , i don't know)

?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
An armband means nothing - there are many ways to show respect, and I wouldn't force one particular way on someone who finds it uncomfortable. Kuipers did the same thing - some players just don't like it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Silent Bob said:
Did anyone have a go at Oatway? :rolleyes:

I assume by this comment Oatway took his off so why all the fuss.

Allegedly Leon swore at fans over this as well ?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
If he swore, they deserved it - the individual in the North Stand who was abusing him over it was making a complete fool of himself.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Some people just seem to take any excuse to have a go at Leon. IMO.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Very true, at least three players decided it was appropriate to wear it as a symbol of respect, then take it off. Perfectly fair.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
It was disrespectful and I did see him saying something to the fans, but if it had been any other player people probably wouldn't be going on about.

Kev the Ape

The whole thing been blown out in proportion and we need to just leave it now. I think that bloke in the north stand was a just a twat and he derserved to get swore at by Leon.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If you actually watched his marker closesly before he removed the band you would have noticed that on more then a few occasions the defender actually used the arm band to tug and wrestle Knight.

Not excusing him but the players who came on the radio seemed to be backing him 110%.

I would not be surprised one bit if Knight does not sign a new contract. Within five minutes of kick off he was getting the same ridiculous levels of abuse from fans who had obviously forgotten his winning goal last week.

Perhaps a stupid and seemingly disrespectful thing for Knight to do but I fear that it will just be used by the anti Knight hate mob as yet another reason to have a pop at a players who is without doubt the most talented we have.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Richie Morris said:
Perhaps a stupid and seemingly disrespectful thing for Knight to do but I fear that it will just be used by the anti Knight hate mob as yet another reason to have a pop at a players who is without doubt the most talented we have.

I do agree with you about people using this as ammunition in some silly vendetta against Knight, but I don't for a minute think he or Kuipers did anything wrong - they wore the bands for kick-off, showing their respects, then took them off, finding them uncomfortable and inhibitive. I'm sure there are many ways of showing their respect that have meant more to Virgo than for how long they wore little pieces of cloth.

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Repugnant Toad said:
If he swore, they deserved it - the individual in the North Stand who was abusing him over it was making a complete fool of himself.

After 20 minutes some loud-mouth in North Stand had a BIG go at someone - what was that all about?

:sick:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The abuse Knight has received from certain fans is a disgrace. If he decided to turn round and tell them to f*** off, good on him I say because they are idiots who know nothing about football.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Ccider said:
After 20 minutes some loud-mouth in North Stand had a BIG go at someone - what was that all about?

:sick:

If we're talking about the same person, I think he was having at go at the man abusing Knight. Good for him.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lets all pick on Leon Knight shall we?

Here is a player who is without doubt one of the most naturally gifted players to ever wear the stripes of Brighton.

He scored the goals that won us promotion including the winner in the play off final which secured a huge financial boost to this club.

On the pitch today he did things that every other player on the pitch could only dream of.

He is the best hope we have of staying in this division and only a matter of weeks ago people on here were giving arguments as to why he is better then England striker Defoe.

He obviously gets on well with the rest of the team and despite his penalty miss the two team mates who were on the radio were full of praise for him.

He also does great work with Ian Hart for charities and local schools.

So heres an idea, lets all just abuse him for no reason and hopefully he will not sign a new contract and we can all enjoy having lumbering oafs like Mark McCammon playing up front for Brighton.

I dispair sometimes, I really do.

Last week he player amazing and scored a vital goal. Within minutes of the game starting the crowd were already beginning to abuse him.

Then the armband incident, being discussed on another thread.

Charlie Oatway and Michel Kuipers also removed theirs? Are they the subject of a witch hunt? No. Because it is more fun for people to take out all their frustrations on Leon Knight.

Liz Costa phoning up the fans phone in to lead the witch hunt was a disgrace.

Please, for the sake of Brighton staying in this division and in the hope that we Brighton fans get to see attacking, exciting and gifted players perform, please, please, please stop picking on Leon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here