Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lemmings: An Apology

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I apologise unreservedly to any Albion fan who I may have reffered to over the last few months as a Lemming, in that in their opinion relegation this season wouldn't be a disaster as we would bounce straight back up again next season.
Everybody has a right to have an opinion, its just in this case I have to disagree, unfortunatley or fortunately for me when I disagree with something 40,000 listeners get to hear it.
I still beleive relegation can be avoided but if it does happen I think it would a disaster both for footballing and financial reasons, and an instant return to the Coca Cola Championship at the end of next season would be extremely unlikely.
Whilst Falmer has always been a priority I, amongst numerous others, have always gone on record as saying the playing side mustn't be neglected, I believe that this has been the case, all season the club have been a couple of players short of being a mid table outfit, which is why even at the 11th hour if the two players were to arrive the Albion could escape the drop.
Its all about opinions and if we all thought the same thing, it would be very dull.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Did you actually have a consevation with Dick Knight yesterday?What was his reasons for not coming on air if there were one?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Harty said:
I apologise unreservedly to any Albion fan who I may have reffered to over the last few months as a Lemming, in that in their opinion relegation this season wouldn't be a disaster as we would bounce straight back up again next season.
Everybody has a right to have an opinion, its just in this case I have to disagree, unfortunatley or fortunately for me when I disagree with something 40,000 listeners get to hear it.
I still beleive relegation can be avoided but if it does happen I think it would a disaster both for footballing and financial reasons, and an instant return to the Coca Cola Championship at the end of next season would be extremely unlikely.
Whilst Falmer has always been a priority I, amongst numerous others, have always gone on record as saying the playing side mustn't be neglected, I believe that this has been the case, all season the club have been a couple of players short of being a mid table outfit, which is why even at the 11th hour if the two players were to arrive the Albion could escape the drop.
Its all about opinions and if we all thought the same thing, it would be very dull.

Somebody suggested that you must have been partaking of free drinks from me. I am offended that somebody should suggest I give away free drinks please confirm otherwise as my reputation 'as a miserable tight git' is at stake here.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hungry Joe said:
Don't worry about it Ian, I called a Lemming a Brighton Supporter the other day and the poor furry chap was so offended he jumped off Beachy Head.

You know I saw that lemming, I thought he was gay as he was on about looking for a Cliff.

1066gull

I still think we can bounce back, but only if we stick with the magic 3:

Keep our current squad (apart from the obvious Mccammon, Jarrett offload)

Sign about 3 players

Magoo either gets a grip or we get a new manager

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Harty said:

How come we can all see this impending disaster, but the club are doing nothing to avert it by bringing in a proper striker? If they can afford to splurge a SHOCKING 250K on agents in the past six months then pleading poverty just won't do :nono:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Re: Re: Lemmings: An Apology

Tom Hark said:
How come we can all see this impending disaster, but the club are doing nothing to avert it by bringing in a proper striker? If they can afford to splurge a SHOCKING 250K on agents in the past six months then pleading poverty just won't do :nono:

Would you have said the same if they had paid £250k for players instead?

Frutos and Carole are worth that sum, and we got them on frees. We have been ripped off on El Turi, but it could be worse, look at Newcastle and BOUMSONG for £8.5million

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Re: Re: Re: Lemmings: An Apology

El Presidente said:
Would you have said the same if they had paid £250k for players instead?

Frutos and Carole are worth that sum, and we got them on frees. We have been ripped off on El Turi, but it could be worse, look at Newcastle and BOUMSONG for £8.5million

Or Mutu or what ever his name was.Didn't he go for ten mill?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stop calling us Lemmings Harty :p

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hate the idea of League 1 but if we play decent football and win (no guarantee of that I grant you) the crowds will be as big as they are at the moment, probably bigger. The only time I remember massive crowds was in Peter Ward's days and we were the equivalent of a League One team for a couple of those seasons with 25K plus. Under Mike Bailey in the Premiership we finished 13th but were boring with it and had smaller crowds.

Moral - play decent football and win and the crowds will flock REGARDLESS of which division we are in

That's the way it is in Brighton, not lemmings but f***ing glory hunters :p

Last edited:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Tommy Boy and Sandbag 40,000 is the from the last set of official listening figures according to Hawesy.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you think the fans are lemmings why don't you come round to us one by one at the game and bloody say so to our faces!

Don't just hide behind your microphone or NSC, you wet lettuce!!

:D :D

Just kidding... but apparently that's how you have to do things these days. Don't let BHAnutz hear you dissing peeple like that from the comfort of your radio station. :)

Harty said:

Apology accepted from this lemming :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

I wonder what would be an acceptable short-hand term to describe the viewpoint that you have every right to disagree with.

Club loyalists is fairly neutral term I think. Maybe club ultra-loyalists if you want to stress the fact that they have few qualms with the board's current strategy - which is fair, they probably don't, and neither do I.

But steer clear of bobble-hatters :lol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I, on the other hand, Harty, think that IF we do go down, we will be there or thereabouts in League 1. If we are only two or three players short of being a mid-table CCC side, what does that say about where we should be in League One? A damn site higher I would say.

The club still runs a very tight ship, and because it is not a 'big' club, we in theory don't have that much to lose as, say, Nottingham Forest or Sheffield Wednesday. Bristol City and Swindon Town have been run like absolute circuses, spending money before they got it.

I am pretty confident of our chances in the league lower, but of course, along with everyone on here, we hope it won't have to come to that.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The Large One said:
I, on the other hand, Harty, think that IF we do go down, we will be there or thereabouts in League 1. If we are only two or three players short of being a mid-table CCC side, what does that say about where we should be in League One? A damn site higher I would say.

The club still runs a very tight ship, and because it is not a 'big' club, we in theory don't have that much to lose as, say, Nottingham Forest or Sheffield Wednesday. Bristol City and Swindon Town have been run like absolute circuses, spending money before they got it.

I am pretty confident of our chances in the league lower, but of course, along with everyone on here, we hope it won't have to come to that.

Doesn't that rather depend on us keeping more or less the same squad? If we were to be relegated; that may well not be the case.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Screaming J said:
Doesn't that rather depend on us keeping more or less the same squad? If we were to be relegated; that may well not be the case.
Mmmm, I can see most clubs queuing up for the pickings of a relegated squad. :glare:

Seriously, I would have thought that we are in most danger of losing Seb (who still has a year to run on his contract - I think, meaning the club would be asking for a whopping fee for him), and maybe, as one or two of my firends think - Frutos. Personally, I think he'll be with us for another season, whichever division.

Hopefully, the club will do whatever it can to keep Paul McShane, and we've got to hope that Manchester United have got a charitable streak within them. Failling that, we still have Adam Hinshelwood in that role.

Above and beyond that, there will be some deadwood McGhee will want to offload, and some new faces coming in. McGhee's record on new signings is varied, but those that have worked out, have done so pretty well. For instance, here we are concerned that someone will come in for Seb. My gut feeling is that they won't.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The Large One said:
Mmmm, I can see most clubs queuing up for the pickings of a relegated squad. :glare:

Seriously, I would have thought that we are in most danger of losing Seb (who still has a year to run on his contract - I think, meaning the club would be asking for a whopping fee for him), and maybe, as one or two of my firends think - Frutos. Personally, I think he'll be with us for another season, whichever division.

Hopefully, the club will do whatever it can to keep Paul McShane, and we've got to hope that Manchester United have got a charitable streak within them. Failling that, we still have Adam Hinshelwood in that role.

Above and beyond that, there will be some deadwood McGhee will want to offload, and some new faces coming in. McGhee's record on new signings is varied, but those that have worked out, have done so pretty well. For instance, here we are concerned that someone will come in for Seb. My gut feeling is that they won't.

Carole is worth two bob, if he was anything special he wouldn't be playing for us or would have been snapped up like Currie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here