Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leeds United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just knew it would come back to bite us. We were getting in at will down their left flank in that first half, Leeds were an absolute shambles and genuinely there for the taking. We should have been over the hills and far away by half time, but were so, SO profligate again (nothing new). When Welbeck muffed that header near the end, I turned to my sister and said 'thats gonna cost us'. You didn't have to be Russell Grant to know what was coming.

Two points pissed away then. Annoying, but in Welbecks defence, his goal was a thing of absolute beauty. The footwork and finish to leave the hapless Llorente on his arse was truly exquisite.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Graham Potter:

"I am proud of our performance and satisfied in a way. It was a tough game and a tough, intense atmosphere. The opponent are fighting for their lives and we competed really well. In the first half we were really, really strong. We needed the second goal to kill it off but at 1-0 they are alive and the crowd played their part. In the end, I can't say it isn't a fair result. A good point and we move forward."

"We had good opportunities first half. Good attacks. We were the better team. But you can see, with a free-kick or mistake you have to defend your box and with the crowd it is ferocious at times. I thought the boys dealt with it well."

"As much as we think we could have added, they had chances too in the second half. The narrative before is about whether we have anything to play for but you can see the boys gave everything. I am content with what I saw."

"We have a home game to finish the season. I think we have made progress. It is our record points and we want to add to that. Then we can maybe have a nice holiday."

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Went to first game in the 80”s and been away to all those tough away days to Carlisle, Hartlepool, Darlington etc. can you say the same? If not then I suggest you keep your assumptions to yourself.

Well, it was a decent enough guess given your join date. Where’ve you been?! :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Welbeck "Everybody is not very happy in the dressing room. We should have kept it a bit tighter, got the clean sheet and taken the points home. It is a tough pill to swallow. We have to re-group, get ready for the last game of the season and finish strongly."

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
From what I heard/saw it seems a draw was a fair result. Annoying to concede right at the end, but remember we spent the first half of the season doing the same to Southampton, West Ham, Palace, Chelsea etc
And now to really tempt fate. We have now gone 37 games having not lost when going ahead. Can we make it a whole season?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
From what I heard/saw it seems a draw was a fair result. Annoying to concede right at the end, but remember we spent the first half of the season doing the same to Southampton, West Ham, Palace, Chelsea etc
And now to really tempt fate. We have now gone 37 games having not lost when going ahead. Can we make it a whole season?

Best way of doing that is to go a goal down early against West Ham!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Welbeck "Everybody is not very happy in the dressing room. We should have kept it a bit tighter, got the clean sheet and taken the points home. It is a tough pill to swallow. We have to re-group, get ready for the last game of the season and finish strongly."

It’s all a bit “and Smith must score” to me and just like that fateful and bigger day the opening goal scorer was guilty of a bad miss to win it. Hard to criticise given the quality of the much more difficult goal he did score though

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
First half all over them, made them look like the poor team that they are. Second half I think we were surprised that they came out actually trying and we never got on top of the situation, as we should have done.

A draw probably a fair result, but very annoying how it happened.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
First half all over them, made them look like the poor team that they are. Second half I think we were surprised that they came out actually trying and we never got on top of the situation, as we should have done.

Like I say, the subs bollocksed us.

Webster wasn't directly to blame, but I'm sure his introduction has cost us before this season. Lallana was certainly a VERY poor swap for the energy of Caceido, even if he was on a yellow.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That’s how Leeds callers to R5 and TS this evening saw it, “Brighton should’ve been 3 or 4 up at half time”. They weren’t particularly impressed with their second half either, although better.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Am I right in thinking that, if we lose to West Ham, it's mathematically possible we could now finish as low as 14th?
And if we beat West Ham we can still finish 8th!

Realistically, taking into account who Wolves, Leicester, Palace, Villa, Brentford and Newcastle are playing over the next 7 days, I would reckon a win against West Ham gets us 9th, a draw 10th and a defeat will leave us 12th.

The teams below (and Wolves) are all playing matches that have a direct bearing on relegation, the title, CL and EL qualification.
Only Leicester have a match with nothing riding on it.
I expect someone will do a poll!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
And if we beat West Ham we can still finish 8th!

Realistically, taking into account who Wolves, Leicester, Palace, Villa, Brentford and Newcastle are playing over the next 7 days, I would reckon a win against West Ham gets us 9th, a draw 10th and a defeat will leave us 12th.

The teams below (and Wolves) are all playing matches that have a direct bearing on relegation, the title, CL and EL qualification.
Only Leicester have a match with nothing riding on it.
I expect someone will do a poll!

Quite mad, really, to think that with a single game remaining, we could end up anywhere from 8th to 14th.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

Webster wasn't directly to blame, but I'm sure his introduction has cost us before this season. Lallana was certainly a VERY poor swap for the energy of Caceido, even if he was on a yellow.

I don't think its was Websters introduction as much as the switch to four at the back that really did the damage. Lallana for Caceido cant end up in anything other than a less combatitive midfield. Potters decisions today have put finishing above Palace at big risk and probably cost TB £2-4m imo.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
A lot of OTT moaning on here - yes was dissapointing to give a goal away late on and the 2nd half performance was poor, but we wouldn't be blaming Potter's tactics if our players had properly exploited the acres of space on offer on Leeds's left side in the 1st half. Leeds also had much, much more to play for than us and still didn't win.

The game summed up our abilty to completely outclass teams for periods of a game but not take our chances which ended up costing us, which is still clearly something we need to improve on next season. In the final analysis, there evidently wasn't as much on the line for us as there was for them, and an away point after the thumping wins against Man Utd and Wolves isn't particularly disasterous.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A lot of OTT moaning on here - yes was dissapointing to give a goal away late on and the 2nd half performance was poor, but we wouldn't be blaming Potter's tactics if our players had properly exploited the acres of space on offer on Leeds's left side in the 1st half. Leeds also had much, much more to play for than us and still didn't win.

The game summed up our abilty to completely outclass teams for periods of a game but not take our chances which ended up costing us, which is still clearly something we need to improve on next season. In the final analysis, there evidently wasn't as much on the line for us as there was for them, and an away point after the thumping wins against Man Utd and Wolves isn't particularly disasterous.

It's just a little frustrating that with more clinical finishing in the first half and if Maupay had scored that open goal from 6 yards at home Leeds would already be down.

We should be beating teams like Leeds. :moo: :whistle:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

There were a few class touches from Lallana, but I think you’re right and it needed the energy with Leeds throwing everything at it. I was disappointed that Lamptey came on so late as he tore Firpo a new ******** at the Amex. The one chance he had of a breakaway and to show his pace had to be pulled back due to a head injury in the box that the clearance resulted from.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's just a little frustrating that with more clinical finishing in the first half and if Maupay had scored that open goal from 6 yards at home Leeds would already be down.

We should be beating teams like Leeds. :moo: :whistle:

True, I think that's the most irritating thing about the results vs Leeds this season. But I'll get over it, particularly if Burnley get a result in the week!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here