Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds by train £96

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As you get older, it's tiring to drive north and back in one day. Usually we try and stay over if it's in Yorkshire, but when we can't, it's nice to let someone else do the driving and get our heads down or watch a dvd.

I can't say I'm looking forward to driving back from Leeds! 257 miles..aaarrghhhh

I hope Auntie s is a chatterbox and keep me alert!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've just done a search on the National Rail enquiry site and a single to Leeds on Sat is £61.50.
Fares are cheap if booked well in advance.

Prices on the internet aren't so much a price as a basis for negotiation.

Back in September, I wanted a single to Oxfordshire. I could either go to Bicester, which meant going via London and (for some reason) hence more expensive, or to Oxford, which didn't.

It was about three days before I was due to go, so I looked up the timetable and got a price with and without my network railcard. It came out at £33 single to Bicester, or £23 with a railcard. It was £22 to Oxford, or £16 with a railcard. I considered buying online, but decided to go to the train station to get the tickets instead.

After talking to what looked like the world's miserablist and roughest prop forward, she asked me why I didn't just book online. I told her I wanted to compare prices. 10 minutes later, after her face going through several shades of scarlet, rage and indignity, she bawled at me that the prices were all the same. It was, she said, £16 to Bicester and £8.80 to Oxford.

I didn't bother telling her the internet price - gawd knows what would have happened to her, though Mr Creosote sprang to mind - so I just bought the ticket to Oxford and walked away.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I agree it's a shame that he won't be able to come to Leeds as the atmosphere up there will be nothing short of ELECTRIC but to give up that easy and say 'one less BHA fan' is a little bit defeatist isn't it?

I've noticed this a lot on here recently..

'Mate can't get through to ticket office to buy family tickets' = 4 less Albion fans
'Online ordering won't let have my tickets so do no what else to dme renew season ticket' = 1 less Albion fan

etc etc

Sorry but do not see what else we cn do. We go to all home and mot aways. Sometimes we drive, but like for Nott F. we went by train. Do not want to drive to Leeds, so apart from paying over £90 cannot see any other way.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Booked last week, £55 return from Southampton

:thumbsup:

Not bad, but hardly a price to get people out of their cars.

Well it is, actually.

Southampton to Leeds and back would cost me around £65/70 in petrol alone, apart from the wear & tear on my car. Even allowing for someone to share the petrol costs, I would MUCH rather spend £55 return on a train. My only problem is that I fannied around and said no when there were tickets for around £11 single from London 4 weeks ago!

In my experience, a good deal on the trains often cancels itself out by virtue of the fact that you forget that you have paid for the ticket weeks in advance and you blow loads of money on food and drink on the day. Especially if the match ticket has been bought in advance as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here