Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds by train £96

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
A few years ago I was working on Islay. To come home I caught the ferry to Kennacraig for £3, Coach to Oban for £4, Coach to Glasgow for £7, Overnight Londonliner to Victoria for £10, tube to Charing X for a couple of quid then the train to Battle for £23.00.
From the Western Isles to CX for a grand total of £25.00. Hour and a quarter train ride to Battle for only £2 less.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
buy the tickets as singles from London instead of Leeds return, should be about £19 each way

I've just done a search on the National Rail enquiry site and a single to Leeds on Sat is £61.50.
Fares are cheap if booked well in advance.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Anyone travelling through London (even once a year) please get a free Oyster Card.

The shortest journey on the underground is between Leicester Square and Covent garden on the Piccadilly Line at 260 metres.

With an Oyster will cost you £1.50, without one will cost you £4.

If you are buying at the £4 price, that apparently makes it the most expensive journey you can take by train on earth.

:clap: Very good advice.

Never travel through London without mine. :)

But just a small note: There is a £3 charge initially for the card (if you go the pay as you go route). I think it's fully refundable if you decide to give the card up at any time.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just done a search on the National Rail enquiry site and a single to Leeds on Sat is £61.50.
Fares are cheap if booked well in advance.

Doesn't quite work like that Yorkie. They are not simply priced by when you buy them, the price is also effected by how many are available at that price.

The headline rates of "£20 return" are very misleading because there are very few tickets available at that rate.

Not directed at you but I find the "cheap if booked well inadvance" statement annoying because technically it's incorrect. It should be "better chance of a cheap ticket if booked in advance..." !

I'm organised enough to book my mine early usually, but when I can't I find it very frustrating to sit on a half empty train whilst having paid a packet for it.

What is also annoying is to have a pay a massive fair to somewhere last minute, be disrupted by near impossible changes (with luggage) due to engineering works, and given a route which wasn't the easiest (or available) when looked at in retrospect,

Rail travel isn't cheap for the majority of users in this country, luckily I don't have to get one to work. What winds me up is that the huge prices are put down to themselves not being organised and booking their tickets early.

Sorry, not all journeys are dictated by a fixture list published in the summer.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Booked last week, £55 return from Southampton

:thumbsup:

Not bad, but hardly a price to get people out of their cars.

That policy has been quietly dropped and anyone taking on a franchise has been told they will need to increase their fares.

Even for the early birds, the chances of getting a deal will be getting smaller and smaller over the next few years.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Doesn't quite work like that Yorkie. They are not simply priced by when you buy them, the price is also effected by how many are available at that price.

The headline rates of "£20 return" are very misleading because there are very few tickets available at that rate.

Not directed at you but I find the "cheap if booked well inadvance" statement annoying because technically it's incorrect. It should be "better chance of a cheap ticket if booked in advance..." !

I'm organised enough to book my mine early usually, but when I can't I find it very frustrating to sit on a half empty train whilst having paid a packet for it.

What is also annoying is to have a pay a massive fair to somewhere last minute, be disrupted by near impossible changes (with luggage) due to engineering works, and given a route which wasn't the easiest (or available) when looked at in retrospect,

Rail travel isn't cheap for the majority of users in this country, luckily I don't have to get one to work. What winds me up is that the huge prices are put down to themselves not being organised and booking their tickets early.

Sorry, not all journeys are dictated by a fixture list published in the summer.

I agree. My point was just a quick reply.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Not bad, but hardly a price to get people out of their cars.

That policy has been quietly dropped and anyone taking on a franchise has been told they will need to increase their fares.

Even for the early birds, the chances of getting a deal will be getting smaller and smaller over the next few years.

I just wish i'd booked it all when I could have got it for about £25 return!

The system for identifying and buying fares is so hideously complicated I'm sure many people just give up and get in their cars.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree. My point was just a quick reply.

:thumbsup:

Very clever the rail companies though, the cheapest single to Leeds from London is £7 quid but they won't tell you how many are available at that price.

The situation may have changed, but I once tried to book a train to Liverpool by saying "tell me when I go at the cheapest price...."

They weren't able to help me.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The system for identifying and buying fares is so hideously complicated I'm sure many people just give up and get in their cars.

As you get older, it's tiring to drive north and back in one day. Usually we try and stay over if it's in Yorkshire, but when we can't, it's nice to let someone else do the driving and get our heads down or watch a dvd.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Thanks for all the advice. We are going by train but my daughters boyfriend wanted to join us. But at twenty and a student that will be one less BHA fan

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for all the advice. We are going by train but my daughters boyfriend wanted to join us. But at twenty and a student that will be one less BHA fan

I agree it's a shame that he won't be able to come to Leeds as the atmosphere up there will be nothing short of ELECTRIC but to give up that easy and say 'one less BHA fan' is a little bit defeatist isn't it?

I've noticed this a lot on here recently..

'Mate can't get through to ticket office to buy family tickets' = 4 less Albion fans
'Online ordering won't let me renew season ticket' = 1 less Albion fan

etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here