Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds by train £96

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
If one of you is prepared to stay sober, you can hire a 17-seater minibus for £238.

That's £14.00 each. Throw in a fiver each for fuel, and you're away for under a score.

That's bloody good really, even if you had to hire a driver - makes the Costa prices look silly.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Supporters bus is your best bet will be about £30-35 and take about 6 hours i expect, if your keen on going then thats your best cheap bet by far, either that or hitch :) :wave:

Surely you need a bus driving licence for a 17 seater? The EU-wide standard allows 8 seaters max on standard Cat B licences...
If you passed your car driving licence in the UK before 1 April 1997, you will find that you have category D1 on your licence - which entitles you to drive minibuses "not for hire and reward".

Whether charging your mates £14 each, plus a fiver for fuel, counts as "hire and reward" is a matter for the courts to interpret. I know what my interpretation is.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The break up of BR was superb for me, ensures I now earn private sector serious money.

No doubt all you lefties will be appalled but bollox is my view, all for one and f*** the rest.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Strange that that category was given 'free'. I've M and W on my licence without having ever asked for them because I got my B licence before 2006, was removed so they could bring compulsary basic training in for bikes - which they haven't as yet.

Strange that that category was given 'free'. I've M and W on my licence without having ever asked for them because I got my B licence before 2006, was removed so they could bring compulsary basic training in for bikes - which they haven't as yet.
The D1 entitlement for car drivers who qualified before April 1997 is a relic of the old Group 'A' licence - "Any motor vehicle other than a vehicle in Group 'X' ".

Group 'X' was "Motor bicycle which is not electrically propelled; road roller; vehicle steered by its tracks; invalid carriage; trolley vehicle". Even with the Group 'A' licence, you needed an additional licence to drive a heavy goods vehicle or a public service vehicle.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Going back to trains ... if you want cheap seats, buy your tickets early. I bought train travel to the Bristol Rovers game weeks ago.

It's a shame that you have to plan so long ahead, although I understand to a certain extent why you are "encouraged" to do so.

Weekend fairs such as these are absolutely ridiculous.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The break up of BR was superb for me, ensures I now earn private sector serious money.

No doubt all you lefties will be appalled but bollox is my view, all for one and f*** the rest.

Prime example of why the cost of rail travel is so high.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone travelling through London (even once a year) please get a free Oyster Card.

The shortest journey on the underground is between Leicester Square and Covent garden on the Piccadilly Line at 260 metres.

With an Oyster will cost you £1.50, without one will cost you £4.

If you are buying at the £4 price, that apparently makes it the most expensive journey you can take by train on earth.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
The joys of rail travel and all the crap about using it for green reason get totally shot when you look at the costs.
My daughter is coming down from east mids to Littlehampton to visit family and some old school friends, and due to coach times from Victora down she is getting the train for the last part,but its costing less to coach from here to Victoria than the rail fare from Victoria down :shrug:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That's bloody good really, even if you had to hire a driver - makes the Costa prices look silly.

Providing you can find 16 mates to go with you, who all turn up on time and pay their money promptly.
The supporters coach is £30 leaving at 8am. I would also like to point out that Liz is very often out of pocket on these trips because people don't turn up. 6 people didn't turn up for the Huddersfield game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Anyone travelling through London (even once a year) please get a free Oyster Card.

The shortest journey on the underground is between Leicester Square and Covent garden on the Piccadilly Line at 260 metres.

If you are buying at the £4 price, that apparently makes it the most expensive journey you can take by train on earth.

How do you get a free oyster card ?

I thought they were £3.70 to buy initially.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Sorry to be a pedant but I'm pretty sure the shortest journey on the tube network is Charring Cross to Embankment. It said so in the Standard the other week as it works out as £40 a mile based on the mileage * cost for a single.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
How much is an all day travelcard? Even in Paris it is only a few Euro! Well it cost me 8E to go somewhere and back which 40 minutes on train from Paris centre, which included unlimited use of the metro all day. No discount was used either

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If you book well in advance the trains are cheap. Me and a mate are doing a return to Leeds for little over £30 a mixture of day save and singles from Kings Cross to Leeds

Jan 30, 2008
Providing you can find 16 mates to go with you, who all turn up on time and pay their money promptly.
The supporters coach is £30 leaving at 8am. I would also like to point out that Liz is very often out of pocket on these trips because people don't turn up. 6 people didn't turn up for the Huddersfield game.
maybe their "wising" up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here