Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Hendrie

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I don't think anyone has suggested that he's trying to hold us to ransom, just that his current wages are a lot more than what we would be looking to pay him so if he does want to make the switch he will have to take a pay cut.

He may well be willing to do so but it's not like he'll just say "yeah sure, slash £10,000 off my weekly pay and I'm yours" is it?

He may well accept that he's going to have to take a big pay cut to play for us BUT he's still going to want to get the best deal out of us he can and at the moment I shouldn't imagine either party is in a particular rush

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him go elsewhere, but I wouldn't really mind, hasn't really looked any better than Dicker who is also younger and would be on lower wages. If we are going to spend big on a central midfielder get one better and younger than him.

Word

Gus has been looking at Hendrie at the expense of Dicker. Hendrie has done OK, some nice touches, but not as strong as Dicker, not so good in the air and more expensive (probably)

Anyone else have a view? Thought about doing a poll on this because Gus has a key decision to make here, not sure we want both of them.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I'd have Hendrie over Dicker every day of the week..Dicker is a good div1 midfielder, no more no less. He will not open teams up and win games, which a fit Hendrie with a pre season under his belt will be able to do. Hendrie could also hold his own in championship were we to go up next season.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I'd have Hendrie over Dicker every day of the week..Dicker is a good div1 midfielder, no more no less. He will not open teams up and win games, which a fit Hendrie with a pre season under his belt will be able to do. Hendrie could also hold his own in championship were we to go up next season.

Inclined to agree.

Hendrie just edges it for me, though he would have to take a significant pay cut.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Funny old world. I'd have Dicker over Hendrie every day of the week. Maybe it's just me but I really dont get Hendrie - he has a great touch but looks a bit slow and old-legged. Dicker was 'my' player of the season.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the few times ive seen hendrie play he hasnt been all that if im honest, not seen him at home and not seen him at gillingham where he was good apparently. from the games ive seen lately where gus has played with arismendi and hendrie in the middle we have improved loads when both of them have gone off and navarro and dicker have come on .

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Hendrie is probably one of those players that the season ended too early for. Just getting somewhere near approaching match fitness, getting a few games under his belt and starting to adapt to the style and pace of League One football when it all came to an end.

Would like to see him after a decent pre-season and a few more games. Remember what happened with Navarro - he said he basically had no pre-season so was playing catch up and it did take him a while to catch up, but once he did he was an entirely different player from the one that played the first few games for us.

I would think it would be worth giving Hendrie a year providing he is not after too much money. Gus has given him a chance - how many other clubs were knocking on Derby's door asking about him before Gus did? (Sound familiar Caldy?!?!)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Sign him up, until he came we were all saying we needed a creative midfielder, if we dont sign him we need to replace him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I tend to look at it this way....if you are coming up to retirement, you obviously look to maximise your earnings as much as possible to cover your retirement. With a lot of players, they went from school into Professional football and know nothing else...and some of them tend to spunk their earnings on big houses, big cars and big bookies. 35 seems to be the age at which players look to retire.

To expect the likes of Hendrie to drop wages significantly and drop to the third division I think is very optomistic.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
If he doesnt want to drop wages, which is likely, then he`ll go, so its immaterial discussing it, as for hendrie being better than dicker, maybe 10 yrs ago yes, but with his lack of pace now, no, hed be a reasonable squad player and a good sub but other than that, no and which is why we shouldnt take him on for big wages.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
I don't reckon anyone is prepared to pay over £10,000 a week for Hendrie so there for im sure he will take a pay cut .

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
£15k per week for a player in the third tier of professional football. No way.

That's £780k a year or 31,200 admissions to Withdean at £25 a head

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
he has made his money, i would imagine he is at the point where he just wants to play football.

I hope so, the thing is his Derby wages will be enabling him to live a life style that he would not be able to maintain here, if he can get higher elsewhere then he should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here