Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ledley King

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
...has just booked his place to South Africa, and Michael Dawson will no doubt be going with him .

(I'm sure some people will say he was always going to go, but not for me)

3rd game in a row, played the full 90 minutes and looked as solid, if not more so, than the games prior to it.

If he keeps this up, I wouldn't rule him out being in the starting 11, given the trouble we're having with central defenders (i.e. they've all been a bit crap for their clubs this season).

Well done Mr King :clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Capello would be a mug to take him - let's hope he takes Dawson

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On Sky Tony Gale has just said that Capello should build the defence around King Ledley.

In his words the best English central defender in the Premiership by a mile.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On Sky Tony Gale has just said that Capello should build the defence around King Ledley.

In his words the best English central defender in the Premiership by a mile.

He has been for ages though. He's far better than Terry or Ferdinand - his only problem has been fitness.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
His fitness is quite a massive problem though isn't it. It's a bit like saying that crocodiles make fantastic pets for small children, the only problem being their temprament and that they can be a bit bitey.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If fit, he HAS to be on the plane, along with Dawson AND Crouch. (Not forgetting Defoe)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Not at all.

He's a crock who wouldn't be able to play in all the games if we made it through to the final. Plus, he wouldn't be able to train, which given that he hasn't been in a Capello team so far, is something that would be needed before he's up to playing as a World Cup central defender in a new defence.

Is he better than Ferdinand? No. And bare in mind Rio's back isn't exactly the most reliable - do we need two unreliable central defenders? Not if we're going to win the world cup, we need consistency.

Plus, other than experience, what makes King so much better than Dawson, who has had an unbelievable season?

brunts09

Jan 8, 2010
if we were talking about a player like rooney there would be no question that we would take him, even with the knowledge that he could not play in every match, the same should apply to king, who in my opinion is by far the best english player in his position in the prem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To propose a totally mad idea, is it possible that Capello won't take Terry?

There's often a strange selection or omission and there's a certain logic to it. Firstly, Terry has had a poor run of form, has given away a few silly goals and has got some disciplinary issues. Second, we're suddenly well catered for when it comes to centre backs: Ferdinand, King, Dawson, Upson, Jagielka - even Campbell (and Brown as back-up, sorry Stat Brother). Thirdly, if Cashley is not fit, dropping JT would bring Bridge back as an option.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen but I don't think it's as totally mad an idea as it would have been three months ago.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It's a shame King could have been the best defender in England if not wider but you cannot ignore the injury problems. For the World Cup unfortunately he's a luxury we can't afford he won't go.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
To propose a totally mad idea, is it possible that Capello won't take Terry?

I hear what you are saying but I doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here