Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LCD TV recommendation

As sod's law would have it the bloomin telly went on the blink last nght but I managed to watch the game at a friend's house.

The wife has decided she would like a new 32inch LCD of some variety, preferably HD and perhaps with a built in DVD? If the great and the good on NSC have any recommendations and best places to buy said item, I would be most grateful.

Pablo

Jul 8, 2003
Worthing
a) Do not buy an TV that is not HD ready nowadays

b) Do not buy a TV for your lounge with a built in DVD, it will be shit

c) If this is your main TV it should be a minimum of 37-42"

Agree with points a & b, but point c is all down to personal taste and size of the lounge!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Panasonic or LG

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Oh and make sure it's 1080p.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Google it. Doing it for a neighbour at the mo. Looks to be about £280 or so for a name you have never heard of, £349 for Toshiba and similar. No inbuilt DVD though. Better to go for inbuilt Freeview imo, which the Toshiba has.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG!

we got a Panasonic 26 but we would now prefer a 32. LG are probably the best, Panasonic and Sony battle it out.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
we got a Panasonic 26 but we would now prefer a 32. LG are probably the best, Panasonic and Sony battle it out.
I have a 32 inch Panasonic and that is the perfect entry level i reckon for a tv.On the other hand i wish i brought a bigger one just to experience online gaming better.Thinking of putting the 32in in the bedroom and getting at least a 40in for the front room.As you say LG are a cracking make but i wouldn't say there the best.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
LGs are pretty dependable though, and very good value for money

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I,ve had a 42" Philips plasma for a couple of years. Thought it was big at the time, now I think 50"+ would be better. Buy the biggest you can afford, big is best.:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pleased to see, apart from one, recommendations for LG as I bought two a couple of weeks ago. 37" for the lounge and 22" for the bedroom. Both HD ready with built in freeview from Richer Sounds. Tried Comet on the Lewes Rd. Had gone out to spend £600ish and they were after £700. Told him that but if he could get their price down to £650 they would have a deal. After a long time the guy came back from the manager to say they could do £660 plus some screen cleaner at £15. Told him I didn't want the cleaner but he claimed they would lose their jobs if they sold at £650! Walked out and went to Richer Sounds and got the deal I wanted. Not sure I'll even go in Comet again with idiots like that serving. (Having said that, we only went in there as we had just been in B&Q). Also, Richer Sounds will pay for your parking too.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Pleased to see, apart from one, recommendations for LG as I bought two a couple of weeks ago. 37" for the lounge and 22" for the bedroom. Both HD ready with built in freeview from Richer Sounds. Tried Comet on the Lewes Rd. Had gone out to spend £600ish and they were after £700. Told him that but if he could get their price down to £650 they would have a deal. After a long time the guy came back from the manager to say they could do £660 plus some screen cleaner at £15. Told him I didn't want the cleaner but he claimed they would lose their jobs if they sold at £650! Walked out and went to Richer Sounds and got the deal I wanted. Not sure I'll even go in Comet again with idiots like that serving. (Having said that, we only went in there as we had just been in B&Q). Also, Richer Sounds will pay for your parking too.

Richer sounds are by far and away the best audio/vis retailers. You did the right thing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I used to always think that LG was a cheapo poor quality brand, but their tellies seem to have the best quality pictures in Richer Sounds in London Road, and at a very reasonable price :thumbsup:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I bought a 32" Panasonic Viera HD from John Lewis for £499 inclusive of a 5 year guarantee just last week. It is the original version of HD ie 768p not 1080p and I had wanted the 1080p HD but was told that unless I had or was likely to get a blue-ray player there was no need for the 1080p at the moment because all HD pictures are broadcast at 768p at the moment anyway. the 1080p version of this was £135 more expensive and only had 50 hz as opposed to 100 which is the one I got. This means nothing to me but I can tell you that the non-hd picture quality is fantastic so looking forward to upgrading to Sky HD early in the new year.

I did quite a lot of research on this and I am very pleased with it. Sony Bravias are very good but the same size was retailing for about £250 more. Also highly recommended are Toshiba which my next door neighbour has and raves about it.

Link below to John Lewis

Buy Panasonic Viera TX32LXD85 LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch online at JohnLewis.com</title><meta name="DESCRIPTION" content="Shop online for Panasonic Viera TX32LXD85 LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch at JohnLewis.com. Browse our range of Televisions products, with next day UK delivery and a free standard delivery on all orders."></meta><script type="text/javascript">if(typeof optimost=='object'){optimost.Enabled = true};</script><title>Buy Panasonic Viera TX32LXD85 LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis</title><script type="text/javascript" src="/Javascript/browserDetection.js"></script><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/stylejl.css"></link><title>

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
My Samsung LCD is awesome.
1080 is a must for x360, you can totally see the difference if you downgrade in options to 768. Blu-ray makes DVD look like VHS.
If you want a large plasma get Pioneer.
LG aren't bad but i wouldn't swap what i've got for anything.

I bought a 32" Panasonic Viera HD from John Lewis for £499 inclusive of a 5 year guarantee just last week. It is the original version of HD ie 768p not 1080p and I had wanted the 1080p HD but was told that unless I had or was likely to get a blue-ray player there was no need for the 1080p at the moment because all HD pictures are broadcast at 768p at the moment anyway. the 1080p version of this was £135 more expensive and only had 50 hz as opposed to 100 which is the one I got. This means nothing to me but I can tell you that the non-hd picture quality is fantastic so looking forward to upgrading to Sky HD early in the new year.

I did quite a lot of research on this and I am very pleased with it. Sony Bravias are very good but the same size was retailing for about £250 more. Also highly recommended are Toshiba which my next door neighbour has and raves about it.

Link below to John Lewis

Buy Panasonic Viera TX32LXD85 LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch online at JohnLewis.com</title><meta name="DESCRIPTION" content="Shop online for Panasonic Viera TX32LXD85 LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch at JohnLewis.com. Browse our range of Televisions products, with next day UK delivery and a free standard delivery on all orders."></meta><script type="text/javascript">if(typeof optimost=='object'){optimost.Enabled = true};</script><title>Buy Panasonic Viera TX32LXD85 LCD HD Ready Digital Television, 32 Inch online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis</title><script type="text/javascript" src="/Javascript/browserDetection.js"></script><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/stylejl.css"></link><title>

in my John Lewis the staff rate Panas over sony.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here