Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LCD TV recommendation

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Got from Amazon last month 32" Sony Bravia Full HD. £200 cheaper than Sony Centre plus free 3 year warranty. Brilliant picture Sky HD looks amazing on it. So well pleased. Personally I would have gone for a 37" or 40" but the Missus did not want as "it would dominate the room".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got from Amazon last month 32" Sony Bravia Full HD. £200 cheaper than Sony Centre plus free 3 year warranty. Brilliant picture Sky HD looks amazing on it. So well pleased. Personally I would have gone for a 37" or 40" but the Missus did not want as "it would dominate the room".

:ohmy:

Personally I'd exchange it. The Missus, that is :lol:

:ohmy:

Personally I'd exchange it. The Missus, that is :lol:

if only, I wanted the biggest i could fit into the space, she wanted the smallest possible.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Why is it wimens don't like big ones.:shrug:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just bought a 37" Samsung and it's brilliant.

Definitely worth getting 1080p and 100Hz if at all possible, unless you buy new televisions regularly (personally, I don't).

As someone else said earlier, the non-HD picture is great, so I'm really looking forward to receiving HD transmissions in future.

Oh, and don't just go for the biggest you can get. Work out how far you sit from the TV in your lounge and actually look at them in the shop from that distance. You may be surprised how pixelated a big one looks if you're too close to it.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Just bought a 37" Samsung and it's brilliant.

Definitely worth getting 1080p and 100Hz if at all possible, unless you buy new televisions regularly (personally, I don't).

As someone else said earlier, the non-HD picture is great, so I'm really looking forward to receiving HD transmissions in future.

Oh, and don't just go for the biggest you can get. Work out how far you sit from the TV in your lounge and actually look at them in the shop from that distance. You may be surprised how pixelated a big one looks if you're too close to it.

I have just purchased the same TV and got it from Dixons online for£100 cheaper than at Dixons or Comet. Very pleased with it.

daor

Feb 3, 2009
As sod's law would have it the bloomin telly went on the blink last nght but I managed to watch the game at a friend's house.

The wife has decided she would like a new 32inch LCD of some variety, preferably HD and perhaps with a built in DVD? If the great and the good on NSC have any recommendations and best places to buy said item, I would be most grateful.

I don't have any particular recommendation but you can try looking at LCD TV Ratings. Perhaps, reading through the reviews can help clarify things with you. Many who did came out satisfied.

Hope this helps.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
BE VERY CAREFUL

There is a great deal of misunderstanding out there.

Full HD is 1080p and is capable of getting the very best picture, although full HD signals are fairly rare at present you are future proof. Standard definition pictures on a full HD set will be upscaled and 'may' actually look less good than SD pictures on an SD set. The real downside is that these sets are very expensive, even with loads of discounts my 37" Panasonic cost about £750

Most SD TVs sold now will be HD compatible (HD ready). This means they will work with an HD signal (see above) but will have to downscale it to work, so some of the picture quality is thrown away. This will always be the case for the life of the TV. This very reason is why many people watching and paying for HD signals on a SD set never appreciate the real benefit of HD.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I bought a 32" Panasonic Viera HD from John Lewis for £499 inclusive of a 5 year guarantee just last week.
[/url]

Seconded. I have exactly the same one and it's superb - not least because it deals with normal digital signals, not just HD, very well indeed.

Bigger isn't necessarily better. With LCD TVs it all depends on the size of your room. If you're too close to a large screen, the picture will look dreadful as it highlights all the imperfections.

I did a lot of research too, and the common consensus of the experts is that for screens of 32" or below, there is no reason to spend the extra on 1080p. 768 is just fine. Even with TVs working side by side, the reviewers were struggling to spot the difference - it was only evident on a few very wide shots, where some minor extra detail could be seen if you look hard enough.

Also, John Lewis are highly recommended thanks to the 5 year guarantee which is worth in the region of £60 if you bought it separately.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
When i was a bit broke (but of course, wanted a big telly) I got a £280 noname brand from an online shop - it's 37" and 720p but it's had utterly flawless service for nearly 2 years now. There is a bit of ghosting sometimes (snooker is a bit funny) but if the cheap end of the market is this good...

I didn't get built in Freeview as I have a HDD freeview recorder.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Also, John Lewis are highly recommended thanks to the 5 year guarantee which is worth in the region of £60 if you bought it separately.

I think you will find that it would cost a deal more than that :thumbsup:

I would also second John Lewis, but both Panasonic and Sony frequently try to help out the smaller local dealers by including 5 year cover for free. Last Panasonic offer ended 31st Dec, but just wait for the offer to start again.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely voting Samsung, quality TVs.

Let us know what you go for!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have had a 40" 1080 Samsung for a year now. Nice looking set. Great picture.

Bought mine at http://www.beyondtelevision.co.uk at a very good price.

Go for larger size than you normally would. We had 26" before and I thought a 32" would be too big but 40" is fine (so long as you don't have to sit too near to it)

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Got a Sony Bravia 32 inch from Sainsburys just after Xmas. Absolutely superb.

I noticed in the local Sony Shop (I live in Pompey) that they have the same model for £297 at the moment, which is an absolute bargain.

Has intergrated freeview (which is very good and super easy to use) and is 1080p so fully HD ready.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Still reckon a great big f***-off Sony Bravia is the benchmark tho.

I got one of them, you pay a bit extra, but its worth it.

Richer sounds, have had a few things from them over the years and never a bad experience, and the mark of a good retailer is they sort things out when they go wrong, did have a problem once, and they never flinched, whinged, bitched or quibble just replaced it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here