Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lane Discipline in the UK

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I commute along the A27 between Worthing and Southampton everyday, and am becoming more and more frustrated by the number of queues and slow traffic because of poor lane discipline, I.e Pillocks that insist on driving in the middle lane at 65 mph when there is an empty lane to their left.

if you drive on the continent it's fantastic!

I'm sure we could remove a load of congestion if everyone understood how to drive properly on motorways. It would pay the govt to invest in some prime time tv public service announcements, as result can only boost the economy.
anyway, just a rant as this week has been shit!. I'll lobby my MP.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I hate it when I'm In the outside lane doing 60mph and someone is up my arse trying to overtake. I understand your frustration.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I commute along the A27 between Worthing and Southampton everyday, and am becoming more and more frustrated by the number of queues and slow traffic because of poor lane discipline, I.e Pillocks that insist on driving in the middle lane at 65 mph when there is an empty lane to their left.

if you drive on the continent it's fantastic!

I'm sure we could remove a load of congestion if everyone understood how to drive properly on motorways. It would pay the govt to invest in some prime time tv public service announcements, as result can only boost the economy.
anyway, just a rant as this week has been shit!. I'll lobby my MP.

Great post. It's like when you're driving along a near empty motorway, and there's a douchebag sitting in the middle or right lane. Why, just WHY?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This dates back from the original building of the 3 lane M1 and people assuming it to be a slow medium and fast lane. Perhaps we should adopt the American idea of minimum lane speeds and the outside lane for cars with a number of occupants.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
fast lane 80-90 mph middle lane used for overtaking in the slow lane where you should be doing at least 65.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have a pet theory that our housing crisis could be solved by building on the inside lane of motorways..... because no-one ever uses them.

One extra that I really would pay for on a car is something that vaporises middle-lane drivers, presumably all labouring under the misapprehension that they are in the "fast" lane from where they misremember the Highway Code 40 years ago.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This dates back from the original building of the 3 lane M1 and people assuming it to be a slow medium and fast lane. Perhaps we should adopt the American idea of minimum lane speeds and the outside lane for cars with a number of occupants.

Isn't it also OK in the States and Canada to overtake on the inside if someone in the middle or outside lane is travelling more slowly?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
What boggles my mind is the roads with more than three lanes, eg. M25 past heathrow. I absolutely cannot understand why someone would go down the outside lane at 65, and there isn't a chance in hell I'm making a total of ten lane changes just to avoid undertaking them.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i find when its an empty motor way, and theres a middle lane goon, i follow the correct procedure. I indicate into the right hand lane, overtake them and go back to the inside lane. i like to feel they witness this and learn. failing that, i hear staying within a meter of their bumper whilst flashing headlights/ repeated tooting of ones horn can also be a good aide memoir to move.

Last edited:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I can see both sides of this, from experience you overtake a slow car and then move back into the slow lane. However there comes a time when you get behind some jerk doing 50 in the slow lane, however that's the time when every Tom dick and Harry are in the middle lane and you can not get back out. I have this problem up round Heathrow. So what you then do is sit in the middle lane doing a steady 70, because you can be sure that as soon as you do pull into that slow lane, you will never get out.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
i find when its an empty motor way, and theres a middle lane goon, i follow the correct procedure. I indicate into the right hand lane, overtake them and go back to the inside lane. i like to feel they witness this and learn. failing that, i hear staying within a meter of their bumber whilst flashing headlights/ repeated tooting of ones horn can also be a good aide memoir to move.

Whats a bumber? :drool:

Seriously I am fed up with my tinsy commute for the same reasons as above - Shoreham to Goring, and everyday someone demonstrates that they just can't share the road or understand its rules....I've bought a scooter, so will be whizzing past you all soon on my pretty little wheels! Yeee haaaa

Last edited:

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
and i thought i proofread it :facepalm:

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
I can see both sides of this, from experience you overtake a slow car and then move back into the slow lane. However there comes a time when you get behind some jerk doing 50 in the slow lane, however that's the time when every Tom dick and Harry are in the middle lane and you can not get back out. I have this problem up round Heathrow. So what you then do is sit in the middle lane doing a steady 70, because you can be sure that as soon as you do pull into that slow lane, you will never get out.

that is true, and when you think theres a gap about to open up, some pr*ck speeds up on purpose to close it just so you cant move out.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
That bald comedian on Mock the week (Andy Parsons?) has a joke about this. It largely involves overtaking, moving into the inside lane, slowing down so they overtake again and repeat so that you end up doing do-nuts around them.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
i find when its an empty motor way, and theres a middle lane goon, i follow the correct procedure. I indicate into the right hand lane, overtake them and go back to the inside lane. i like to feel they witness this and learn. failing that, i hear staying within a meter of their bumper whilst flashing headlights/ repeated tooting of ones horn can also be a good aide memoir to move.

I do this but then let them overtake me and then repeat. Got a few strange looks the third time round.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Great post. It's like when you're driving along a near empty motorway, and there's a douchebag sitting in the middle or right lane. Why, just WHY?

The answer they will give you is that anything happens infront of them they have two escapes routes, left and right.
That's there logic :facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here