Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lane Discipline in the UK

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There is a middle lane owners club and they have a special badge........be great if they would display it on the rear of their car then us other motorists would know and we could make allowances :flounce:

Coming from the Hassocks direction at Pyecombe, the road simply becomes the inside lane of the A23. Appalled to discover after 100m or so that they are not in the middle lane, drivers will then move sharply over to the centre, where they will stay until cutting in very late at Patcham to join the filter road on to the A27. thus pissing me off twice.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Whats a bumber? :drool:

Seriously I am fed up with my tinsy commute for the same reasons as above - Shoreham to Goring, and everyday someone demonstrates that they just can't share the road or understand its rules....I've bought a scooter, so will be whizzing past you all soon on my pretty little wheels! Yeee haaaa

I've just bought a scooter too. A sub 800 quid Chinese 50cc model to get me to the station and back. Very cheap to run.

My other half does Shoreham to Goring every day and the top tip here is follow the seafront the whole way. Less hold ups and more picteresque

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
I drive alot at night due to work and you get more of these middle lane hogs especially when the road is generally clear and sometimes they have signs up saying "don't hog the middle lane" they still dont move over

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Coming from the Hassocks direction at Pyecombe, the road simply becomes the inside lane of the A23. Appalled to discover after 100m or so that they are not in the middle lane, drivers will then move sharply over to the centre, where they will stay until cutting in very late at Patcham to join the filter road on to the A27. thus pissing me off twice.

This really pees me off too. After I have passed the Pylons I'm into the nearside lane ready to go onto the A27. Time and again you are having to brake sharply as you approach the A27 bridge because idiots are suddenly cutting in at 70 mph to get onto the A27. Why? It's much easier to filter in back up the road.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The best place I've been for this is northern italy. They all drive like mentalists, but on a motorway, they ALL move over when they're not overtaking and if you get stuck behind a car and stick your flasher on, they always let you out.

It's like some weird sort of organised chaos.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have voice activated commands for the radio and air con in the car. Me and son number 2 like to try and invent new commands to deal with slow traffic. So far we have failed to deploy a range of different missiles and flippers, but we haven't given up just yet. Surely Ford have built something into their vehicles to deal with middle lane hoggers, but I am buggered if I am going to read the manual to find it.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
My mother in law is a middle lane hog because she's a nervous driver that doesn't like to change lanes. If she has to drive on the motorway or A23 she will immediately move in to the middle lane and stay there until she exits because "I don't like changing lanes" ( i know, i know) No amount of explanation will change her mind because she thinks she knows everything and won't listen to reason ( she believes in homeopathy).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Isn't it also OK in the States and Canada to overtake on the inside if someone in the middle or outside lane is travelling more slowly?

You have to here cos most of them stay in the right hand lane. (Double white lines is the Taxi lane) They even had a song about it for tourists " we drive in the shade"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
there is a double whammy from the middle lane hoggers, in that while happy to drive at 60 in the middle lane or outside lane of a dual carriageway, as soon as the road changes to a single lane say with a 50mph they will stay at the speed they were doing in the middle lane. So while happy to break the speed limit on a single lane, they stay under on the wider road.

Time to get more traffic police back on the road, and to start pulling the middle laners over and issuing penalty points for dwdca.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure if it legal or just an accepted practice but have phoned to ask my brother who drives over there a lot.

I'm on tenterhooks waiting for your brothers answer, is he still thinking about it?

No sorry he is at work, which I didn't realize when I left a message on his phone.

I LOVE this.

BRRRR BRRR. BRRR BRRR.
"Hello Ba..."
"Hi this is Barry. I'm not in at the moment, but if you leave a message after the tone, I'll come back to you later. Bye."
BEEEEEEP
"Hello Barry, its Bensgrandad. In Canada, is it legal to overtake on the inside lane if someone is going too slowly ? Thanks. Bye".

All you need is Chris Tarrant.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
there is a double whammy from the middle lane hoggers, in that while happy to drive at 60 in the middle lane or outside lane of a dual carriageway, as soon as the road changes to a single lane say with a 50mph they will stay at the speed they were doing in the middle lane. So while happy to break the speed limit on a single lane, they stay under on the wider road.

Time to get more traffic police back on the road, and to start pulling the middle laners over and issuing penalty points for dwdca.

Seem to remember that a couple of pensioners were caught using middle lane and fined when there were hardly any cars on the motorway...it was about 6 months ago...but there is a lot of bad discipline on the lanes on motorways....The highway code and most driving instructors will tell you about indicating when changing lanes....most will ,pulling out to overtake...(but not all), but very few do to pull back in....be honest,do you indicate to pull back in?.....The thing that winds me up when there is a queue of slow moving traffic,stop/start and the driver in front leaves a gap for 10 cars....you only need about 5 cars to do this and the traffic queue has spread out another half mile,thus blocking off side roads.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can see both sides of this, from experience you overtake a slow car and then move back into the slow lane. However there comes a time when you get behind some jerk doing 50 in the slow lane, however that's the time when every Tom dick and Harry are in the middle lane and you can not get back out. I have this problem up round Heathrow. So what you then do is sit in the middle lane doing a steady 70, because you can be sure that as soon as you do pull into that slow lane, you will never get out.

Very true.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Some of those posts made me laugh. Why the hell would I move out of the way of some maniac who is 6 inches from my bumper and flashing his lights at me if I am doing the maximum speed allowed by law?

He is breaking the law with his aggressive driving, not me, and he obviously intends to break more laws by doing 80/90+ in a 70 limit, Speed kills, and it very often kills the sensible drivers, not just the speed freaks,

What other laws do you self important loonies think don't apply to you? Have a quick can of Special brew, a joint, a chat on your mobile while endangering other peoples lives.

The speed limit is just that, a MAXIMUM limit. If you need to travel faster than that, f***ing leave earlier! and don't try to intimidate me for allowing enough time to do my journey within the legal speed limit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I LOVE this.

BRRRR BRRR. BRRR BRRR.
"Hello Ba..."
"Hi this is Barry. I'm not in at the moment, but if you leave a message after the tone, I'll come back to you later. Bye."
BEEEEEEP
"Hello Barry, its Bensgrandad. In Canada, is it legal to overtake on the inside lane if someone is going too slowly ? Thanks. Bye".

All you need is Chris Tarrant.

Thats about right except his name is John:D

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
The best place I've been for this is northern italy. They all drive like mentalists, but on a motorway, they ALL move over when they're not overtaking and if you get stuck behind a car and stick your flasher on, they always let you out.

It's like some weird sort of organised chaos.

I find the same in France as well - they get out then get back in quickly.
BUT one of the reasons I hate the nearside lane in this country is the condition of the road surface on most of the older busy motorways. The road has severely compacted to form ruts, bumps and pits, with all trying to wrestle the steering wheel around in your hands. It makes driving at 70/80 dangerous from the point of view of both being able to steer and damage to the car's suspension.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's funny that everyone seems to hate middle lane drivers, but you can never find one to defend themselves. Perhaps they just don't realise they're doing it.

It was one of the things that I hated most about our time in Gillingham, as the motorways of Kent seemed to be the worst at that time. Now they're everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here