Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lane Discipline in the UK

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Isn't it also OK in the States and Canada to overtake on the inside if someone in the middle or outside lane is travelling more slowly?

Indeed it is. Technically there is a fast lane nearest the middle, but you can pass on any side at any time. Which does reduce road rage quite a bit as you have options.

In California there are Car Pool or Diamond Lanes on most freeways, which you must have 2 or more drivers in your car to use, the Diamond lane can also be used by all NGV and electric vehicles, such as the Prius etc. You have to have a special sticker for those that the DMV offer only 70,000 of for the whole state.

Which is not a lot of stickers when you think there are around 32 million vehicles in the state.

Using the Diamond Lane can cut my wife's commute from 45 minutes to 15 minutes during rush hour.

If you are caught using the Diamond Lane on your own or with a dummy etc, the fine is $481 each tiime.

For some reason, no one here really risks it, everyone really follows the rules, even though there are very few CHP on the roads and a complete absence of cameras.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Pillocks that insist on driving in the middle lane at 65 mph when there is an empty lane to their left

Have that all the time on the motorways so what I do is get up their arese then undertake then indicate to pull back out. I know it's illegal but don't care. These drivers who have tunnel vision drive me mad and thought there was a new law out about these type of drivers who hog the middle lane.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
To be fair, getting up their arses on a motorway is never OK, regardless of how annoying they are. If they're driving like that, chances are they're a shit driver, and if something happened, you would be the one who came off worse.

I don't mean tailgate them, Just drive up close then undertake. Getting up their arse was the wrong phase I used :(

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
middle lane hoggers need pulling over and getting fined and given 3 points for driving without due care and attention!

Failing that, let me twat them!

If you are guilty of doing this and you do it deliberately then send your licence back to DVLA immediately for cancellation.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure if it legal or just an accepted practice but have phoned to ask my brother who drives over there a lot.

I'm on tenterhooks waiting for your brothers answer, is he still thinking about it?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I

Consider that the motorway is full with traffic in the middle and right hand lanes, all doing a nice, safe, brainless 70mph. The idiots in the middle lane refuse to use the left lane because "anyone overtaking me is breaking the law so it's OK to be in the middle lane", even if it is clear. As a result the whole motorway system is at two-thirds capacity if no one uses the left lane.

The fact is that you use the left lane unless overtaking and it really is as simple as that. It's ironic that the simplest of rules is incomprehensible for the simplest of brains.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I

Consider that the motorway is full with traffic in the middle and right hand lanes, all doing a nice, safe, brainless 70mph. The idiots in the middle lane refuse to use the left lane because "anyone overtaking me is breaking the law so it's OK to be in the middle lane", even if it is clear. As a result the whole motorway system is at two-thirds capacity if no one uses the left lane.

The fact is that you use the left lane unless overtaking and it really is as simple as that. It's ironic that the simplest of rules is incomprehensible for the simplest of brains.

The govt should refuse to build additional lanes until we can prove that we can use the ones we have properly first. A bit patronising?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Isn't it also OK in the States and Canada to overtake on the inside if someone in the middle or outside lane is travelling more slowly?

It's also OK to make a right turn on a red light when the road is clear - never sure why this wasn't introduced in the UK on a left turn at the lights as it saves petrol and pollution

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It's also OK to make a right turn on a red light when the road is clear - never sure why this wasn't introduced in the UK on a left turn at the lights as it saves petrol and pollution

Because in this country we have pedestrians also.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I can see both sides of this, from experience you overtake a slow car and then move back into the slow lane. However there comes a time when you get behind some jerk doing 50 in the slow lane, however that's the time when every Tom dick and Harry are in the middle lane and you can not get back out. I have this problem up round Heathrow. So what you then do is sit in the middle lane doing a steady 70, because you can be sure that as soon as you do pull into that slow lane, you will never get out.

You get alot of that near Preston on the M6.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
Under take them it makes them feel uncomfortable.........they always move over after uve undertaken them

Also the highway code states the 2 outside lanes are for overtaking so unless ur overtaking u shd be on the inside lane

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
There is a middle lane owners club and they have a special badge........be great if they would display it on the rear of their car then us other motorists would know and we could make allowances :flounce:

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Buy a cheap standalone camera flash, and when you're stuck behind someone who won't move over set it off. People are pretty well conditioned to believe that they've just been captured by a speed camera and so will move over to the slow line whilst they process what just happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here