Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong - Finally The Truth ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What truth?

I find it very strange that someone who'd been tested hundreds, maybe even thousands of times over those years never returned a positive test.

Don't you find that slightly strange?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I hope they have some very strong evidence because if not his name doesn't need to be dragged through the mud again!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I find it very strange that someone who'd been tested hundreds, maybe even thousands of times over those years never returned a positive test.

I thought that most of the top road cyclists were on drugs, and that the testing just wasn't good enough.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought that most of the top road cyclists were on drugs, and that the testing just wasn't good enough.

The theory if that doping 'technology' was always ahead of the testing technology.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The theory if that doping 'technology' was always ahead of the testing technology.
Indeed, but different sports go to different lengths to stop the drug cheats. I gave up caring about half of the Olympic sports because drugs ruined it. Oo look, the Chinese ladies team suddenly have 50 brilliant long distance swimmers. I hope that some of the Olympics have got better, and one of the great things about Usain Bolt is that he doesn't look like he's on drugs at all, he's a different shape to the Ben Johnsons of this world.

I don't know the details about road cycling, but I've always thought it was one of the worst sports for drug cheating. They all sat down mid-race some years back - WTF was that all about again?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Why only now are USADA charging Lance?

If they have 'evidence', why not do this long before? are ALL sports drug tests worthless?

It's not going to end pretty.

Apparently they have witnesses that can't be named due to there safety

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Reading an article in Men's journal about pro-cycling and turns out there are hundreds of performance enhancing drugs used quite legally by cyclists (and other sports), occassionally one of those will get moved over to the illegal list and another legal one is either developed or becomes popular. They are all the same risks, enhancement and toxicity, the organistions just need a list of banned substances to say they are doing something aout it. Doesn't make a blind bit of differance, it's luck which substance ends up on the list. doping is a regularly practiced thing in most athletes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why only now are USADA charging Lance?
Because the Federal case, that closed early in the year, took precedent.

If this was UK law, Lance has gone from a criminal case to a civil case.

My understanding is the burden of proof is similar too.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I do think that the technology is far behind the drugs which is not surprising as how can you detect something you dont even know about?

HGH is a good point in question as generally it clears your system within 24 hours as apposed to older steroid types, Rugby League was the first sport to find a "cheat" on it (RIP Terry Newton) and it is widely thought to be used in many sports due to detection.

I enjoy the tour but it is always in the back of my mind that I feel there are alot of drug cheats there and every year there seems to be a huge scandal with full teams having to pull out

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I enjoy the tour but it is always in the back of my mind that I feel there are alot of drug cheats there and every year there seems to be a huge scandal with full teams having to pull out
I would say due to the amount of testing, not only will this years Tour be the cleanest ever, it will also the be cleanest sporting event this Summer.
Sadly though because of the past, you can't be blamed for having that opinion.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seems strange that this happens way after the event in my view

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What truth?

Tests on him in 1999 showed traces of a cortico-steroid, which he claimed was down to a cream used for saddle sores, and he was never charged. Recent analysis on samples taken from him over the next couple of years have also showed traces of EPO. There was no test for EPO at the time those samples were taken, and Armstrong has always claimed that the samples must have been tampered with or their integrity otherwise compromised.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems strange that this happens way after the event in my view
Lance is still 'competing' of sorts in Triathlons.

But as I said the accusations from Floyd, Tyler, et al, wouldn't stop.

Lance was riding for US Postal, so he was taking government money.
I can't think of the exact wording but, cheating with government money is a proper fraudulent crime, in the US.
Hence the Federal case, and why it wouldn't 'go away'.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Attacking Lance Armstrong in the US media seems to be flavor of the month at the moment. His cancer charity, Livestrong Foundation, has been heavily criticised for the way it is administered and how the funds are spent. There is an excellent article in one of the sports magazines out here which discusses the amount of money spent on advertising and marketing. Because he comes across as a fairly abrasive character a lot of people want to see him fail and, like NSC, will not let a little thing like the facts get in the way of that.

Livestrong Foundation - Facts and Fiction

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Did the Moon landing really take place or was it set up in a film studio ??? oooops wrong Armstrong hehehe

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I am not saying that Lance Armstrong used drugs BUT what Lance wants everyone to believe is that despite having had testicular, brain and lung cancer he was able to win probably the toughest sporting contest (Tour de France) seven times in a row despite the fact that most of his competitors at the time WERE taking performance enhancing drugs.

He is either by a massive margin the greatest athlete in all eternity or another cyclist who was taking performance enhacing drugs like most of the others at that time.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
The TdF isn't a cycle race,it's a chemistry test. A vast drug-taking enterprise worth millions to the conspirators and participants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here