Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong - Finally The Truth ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really can't say any more than I have already.

All of HIS team were doping.
In an organised doping ring arranged by HIS team.
Half of which weren't caught in competition either.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Just to throw a curve ball in there...

The TdF and pro cycling was all about Lance. What would the TdF gain by finding their biggest star guilty of doping?

A bit of a conspiracy theory, I know, but could TdF and WADA officials have been using a blood double for his tests to ensure he remained clean during his spell of domination?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Just to throw a curve ball in there...

The TdF and pro cycling was all about Lance. What would the TdF gain by finding their biggest star guilty of doping?

A bit of a conspiracy theory, I know, but could TdF and WADA officials have been using a blood double for his tests to ensure he remained clean during his spell of domination?

I doubt it. Lance was (is) seriously unpopular amongst French cycling. Disrespectful, riding roughshod over the Continental traditions of 'their' race, and then bloody winning it! If they could've got him out, they would've. If it was Richard Virenque who'd won 7 in a row then you might be onto something!

The technology to catch dopers is nearly always one step behind the cheats. I genuinely feel that the biological passports are now a step ahead. I hope I'm not proved wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
wiggins can win a tour clean
but armstrong can't???
think about it

Not quite.
Wiggins can win a clean tour, clean.
Could Lance win dopers tours clean?
Exactly. No one is really saying Lance wasn't the best of that generation, he could well have been. But even the best, most gifted rider couldn't beat a field of dopers unless they were on it too.

so if dopers were caught during armstrong's tour wins,why wasn't he?
I thought he was in his early career? Anyway, what percentage of riders were found guilty of doping? I assume a lot got away with it, and perhaps some found out what to use and how, without getting caught. Like storing your own blood then transfusing, or EPO.

"Until recently accurate testing has been difficult because the recombinant human EPO made in the lab is virtually identical to the naturally occurring form and there are no firmly established normal ranges for EPO in the body. The only previously available route to curtail cheating for sports governing bodies was to ban an athlete if the hematocrit (see side bar) level was too high (e.g., above 50%). Thus, over the past 10 – 15 years some athletes chose to cheat because, as long as they kept their hematocrit levels below 50%, there seemed little risk of getting caught. Of course the other way to get caught was highlighted in the disastrous 1998 Tour de France. Several team doctors and personnel from several teams were caught red-handed with thousands of doses of EPO and other banned substances. Ultimately about 50% of the teams withdrew from the race – either for cheating or in protest."

What a joke.

To be perfectly honest, the notion that Lance wasn't doping is unthinkable. Of course he was, they all were.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
so basically then,what most people are saying,every rider that has won the TdF has cheated???

it begs the question,why do you carry on watching a load of cheats?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because I enjoy the spectacle, and suspend belief.

The problem would come if I completely brought into a clean tour and had that pulled out form underneath me.

Which is a non controversial way of saying, If Sky are juiced, I'm probably done.

Times change, attitudes change, perspectives change.

I really really wanted to believe in Lance, but in the back of my mind it never quite added up.
When doping wasn't an issue I, as a fan, didn't have to deal with it.
I could still enjoy the event and I could believe in Lance.

I could even laugh at the audacity of Landis.
I remember when Ned door stepped him the morning of THE attack. Like everyone else I said 'he's on something', and laughed.

Bring that forward and change the name to Cadel, and it could conceivably end cycling.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
so basically then,what most people are saying,every rider that has won the TdF has cheated???
Good question. When was the last clean winner? Maybe as much as a whole year ago :)
A lot of people don't watch it, but if cycling is your sport then I can understand watching despite the cheating.

Last edited:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Pretty much. There are a few (including Cadel last year) who I believe to be clean, but MOST riders who have won the race have admitted to/be caught using various PEDs.

The same reason people still watch football. Never seen players dive, feign injury to get opponents sent off, deliberately handle the ball, etc? All cheating, but you ignore the issue and look at the bigger picture.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The same reason people still watch football. Never seen players dive, feign injury to get opponents sent off, deliberately handle the ball, etc? All cheating, but you ignore the issue and look at the bigger picture.
I completely disagree. There's a ref on the field to stop diving and make hand ball decisions etc, and it's up to FIFA to decide on the punishment - so if FIFA decided that diving would have a 5 match ban (doesn't matter if the ref misses it, there's video after), then the amount of diving would go down. And the odd dive doesn't ruin the sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here