Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Snore draw :clap2: :clap2:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So they complain when it rains and they complain when it's sunny. That's the champions perogative I guess. *shrugs shoulders*

Lancashire frustrations continue
County Championship D1, Old Trafford (day three, stumps): Durham 372 v Lancashire 210-5
Match scorecard

Cork found life in a previously docile pitch to boost Lancashire

Sussex are likely to have a handy lead going into the final Championship round of games after more frustration for Lancashire against Durham on day three.

Lancs - 19 points behind when the game started - picked up two bowling bonus points by finishing Durham off for 372.

But despite Mark Chilton (69) and Mal Loye (78), they failed to score fast.

When Stuart Law (50) and Nathan Astle fell, they were reeling on 210-5, and their luck with weather was summed up when glare from the sun ended play.

After Thursday's washout, Lancashire desperately needed early wickets, but youngster Ben Harmison (48) and Gareth Breese (43) added a further 68 to take their stand to 80.

Left-arm spinner Murali Kartik (3-89) bowled Harmison, who had advanced down the track, before Dominic Cork removed Breese, Ottis Gibson and Paul Wiseman in the space of seven balls.

The hosts failed to take the ninth wicket and third bonus point before the 130-over cut-off and made a dreadful start when Iain Sutcliffe edged behind just before lunch trying to hook Gibson.

Loye, who hit two straight sixes off veteran Kiwi spinner Wiseman, and Chilton put on 134 before the former holed out at mid-wicket off Breese.

Chilton lifted Breese to Neil Killeen at mid-off before Law raced to 50 in as many balls, hitting seven fours and a six to move to 1,000 Championship runs for the season.

He was trapped lbw by Breese after Astle had already fallen for just two to Gibson and suddenly a third batting point - for scoring 300 - seemed far off.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Oh the irony.

I spend half my time moaning about Southampton and its crock of shit weather and now I find myself hopeing for a deluge between Wednesday and Saturday!

Oh well, even if it does, I doubt it will stop the champions elect againsty a weak Hampshire side :(

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They've upped the scoring rate. 1 run in 9 balls.

My guess is that Lancashire have accepted the draw and are simply aiming for a total of 400 to get the maximum batting points.

That will leave them with a total of 11 points from the game and 8 points behind Sussex going into the final game.

Assuming they beat Hampshire and get 22 points, we will need 14 points from the Nottinghamshire game to win the Championship.

A Sussex win will obviously be enough.

A draw will give us a maximum of 12 points ... so we'd have to rely on Lancashire dropping at least two bonus points (while we dropped none).

The outcome is fairly obvious ...

... congratulations Lancashire.

Last edited:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
246 for 6. Very sporting of Lancs to give Durham another bonus point while leaving their tail enders to all score double hundreds. Before Lunch. All over by tea I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here