Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lampard sacked...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would that be when the turkey's down to the bare bones?

:lolol:

Christmas is the season for miracles after all, and there's nothing more miraculous than beating Watford 1-0 when Niko Krancjar has just got a second yellow and your squad is down to your last 57 fit players.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Like my front room, nothing in it.

View attachment 132951

Amusing, the amount of stats I’ve heard this season to back Potter up expected goals, pass completion, possession, chances created, it’s the strikers fault or maybe the defensive play. The one stat that really matters is conveniently brushed under the carpet.

What is really amusing is that you guys believe Brighton would have equal or more points than Chelsea if only there was a different manager.

Give GP two or three seasons of coaching Brighton in the Championship and there's a decent chance he would have the same win rate, but impossible to tell and I think we'll never know.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Seems a classic case of manager does well with youth players he knows and can work with - then undone by splashing huge amounts of cash on players he can't figure out (quickly enough) how to gel into an effective team. I wonder how well he would have done if Chelsea were still under a transfer ban? Better than their current position one could suggest. Feel a bit sorry for him as a/ he can't help being inexperienced b/ can't blame him for accepting his Dream Job. The only criticism of him is perhaps he was v naive to apply for it in the first place but again who wouldn't? Always despised Chelsea's rise as "Chelski" but found them more palatable with British manager and British players. Shame really to see him replaced by a foreign manager. Hope they stay mid table now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think Lampard could turn into a decent or even great manager in the long run but it was quite sad to see how little idea he had about how he would use all of those big name signings, especially while not abandoning his youth thing entirely. He seems like a pretty intelligent guy, I'm sure he learnt a lot of lessons and that his next manager job (Celtic maybe?) will be more successful.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
What is really amusing is that you guys believe Brighton would have equal or more points than Chelsea if only there was a different manager. .

You seem to be missing the point, I don't think that at all, but Potter needs to up his Win %, otherwise Bloom will axe him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Think Lampard could turn into a decent or even great manager in the long run but it was quite sad to see how little idea he had about how he would use all of those big name signings, especially while not abandoning his youth thing entirely. He seems like a pretty intelligent guy, I'm sure he learnt a lot of lessons and that his next manager job (Celtic maybe?) will be more successful.

The Athletic did a very detailed and revealing story today which said Chilwell was the only signing Lampard specifically requested. The others were signings made by the club hierarchy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You seem to be missing the point, I don't think that at all, but Potter needs to up his Win %, otherwise Bloom will axe him.

Yes I’d imagine he probably has. I am in agreement there. I’m not a staunch Potter supporter at all - had turned to Potter out half time v Wolves briefly! But do love the style of football we play so want him in at the moment. But still don’t get the comparison to Lampard although you’re now suggesting it was a fishing trip?! Don’t know what to believe aaaahhhhhh

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Newcastle possibly, stranger things have happened???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes I’d imagine he probably has. I am in agreement there. I’m not a staunch Potter supporter at all - had turned to Potter out half time v Wolves briefly! But do love the style of football we play so want him in at the moment. But still don’t get the comparison to Lampard although you’re now suggesting it was a fishing trip?! Don’t know what to believe aaaahhhhhh

Guardiola
pepguardiola.jpg

Everyone else IS SHITE, didnt you know?

Barca, Bayern and City would all have 25% win rates with Graham Potter, 40% win rates with Hughton and so on... thats apparently how football works. The players on the pitch are just puppets controlled by their managers. Lionel Messi and Aaron Connolly are secretly the exact same thing.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

Agreed..

I'm pulling your leg, Potter is doing the best with what he's got, just a few home wins and I will be Potter IN.:albion2:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
They bought too many talented but similar players: Havertz; Mount; Ziyech, Werner, Pulisic; and Frank tried to shoehorn them all into the team at the same time. Luxury players.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
In most jobs there are targets. At the Albion this season I expect it was 1. Mid table, or if not 2. Stay up. At a Chelsea then it's likely 1. Win the League or if not 2. Qualify for Champions League. They wont do 1 and are unlikely to make 2. He therefore loses his job. Not surprising when you look at it that way.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Guardiola
View attachment 132961

Everyone else IS SHITE, didnt you know?

Barca, Bayern and City would all have 25% win rates with Graham Potter, 40% win rates with Hughton and so on... thats apparently how football works. The players on the pitch are just puppets controlled by their managers. Lionel Messi and Aaron Connolly are secretly the exact same thing.

That’s what Leeds fans claim. Are you saying that they have been telling fibs ?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The Athletic did a very detailed and revealing story today which said Chilwell was the only signing Lampard specifically requested. The others were signings made by the club hierarchy.

Too many cogs in the hierarchy then. Appears too often that a manager is given players, by some know it all, he hasn't asked for and then has to somehow fit them in - and it all goes tits up. Was starting to wonder whether Ben White was a player that, in some ways, Potter could have done without - however after his Leeds performance I was blown away. Maybe it's Bissouma we don't really need? (considering his alleged value now, if cashed in). It's not always about having very good players but making a very good team (obviously).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Shy and retiring Beaky will definitely not be 'all over this'. Because FCFL:

1. would be a like for like replacement for his old woman dinosaur manager.
2. is not 'box office'.
3. would not know how to get a midfield working.
4. would also prefer to work with an aging squad.
5 would not appeal to potential investors.
6. would not attract any media attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here