Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lampard sacked...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So you think Tony Bloom believes in this mythical long term goal?

Directly Potter has a modicum of success with us he will be gone to pastures new and we will be back to searching for a manager who can work with our limited budget.

It's all smoke and mirrors by the club.

Yes. People who are successful in business and in life will set long term goals. This is not uncommon.

Are you suggesting that Tony Bloom is lying about this? I don’t understand your point.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
So you think Tony Bloom believes in this mythical long term goal?

Directly Potter has a modicum of success with us he will be gone to pastures new and we will be back to searching for a manager who can work with our limited budget.

It's all smoke and mirrors by the club.

you're not one to trouble logic, are you? :)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
41 points - form table is 6 points from last 6 I think. Including city away and an in form Arsenal being our only 2 defeats. So looking at 38 points. Or last 3 games - 4 points - which would mean 25 odd points - so 44 total. If we have some luck as opposed to the clear bad luck we’ve had so far I’d say it’s a possibility. Wouldn’t say we ‘definitely’ won’t break it if form continues.

Not disagreeing with your overall point but Arsenal had only won 1 of their previous 8 games (5 defeats) when they played us.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I do think Tony Bloom has a long term goal for the club - as would anyone who places any confidence at all in his public statements concerning ownership and intention to pass the club onto his descendants.

You may be right regarding GP if the club is successful but the more success the club has the more experienced managers it will be able to attract.

Fair point..

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well if this form continues we definitely won’t be breaking it this season unfortunately.

Forth season in the PL some significant investment over the past three seasons, as an owner I would be thinking mid table and probably not very happy right now. I would be encouraged by the Leeds win yet also mindful that we are capable of not winning for another 9-10 games. So probably around 24-26 points would of been my hope for this stage of the season.

As a fan spending my hard earned probably pissed off I haven’t seen my team win a home game this season. Now we are all sofa fans I’m disappointed yet not surprised GP was always going to be a risky appointment.

We have played 19 games,halfway. Taking the goal of safety being 40 points...we are behind at 17, not 20 as we were at this point last season. That is one win behind or if you double our current tally, 34 points will never be enough. It is clear that we have to improve and quickly! .. Let’s hope it starts tomorrow v Fulham.

Since the thread is about Lampard, I am glad we are not like Chelsea . We may not have the better team but we sure-as-hell have a better club to support.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Yes. People who are successful in business and in life will set long term goals. This is not uncommon.

Are you suggesting that Tony Bloom is lying about this? I don’t understand your point.

I agree with you that a successful business will set long term goals,

to be fair we have been on this long term goal since the Withdean era.

I'm of the opinion that Tony Bloom will not tolerate relegation as some on here think he will,

Hyypiä was sacked when it was obvious we would have been relegated,

he tolerated Hughton because we were deep into that season.

Potter is on a knife edge, win a few and sit in mid table all will be well.

No, I don't think Bloom is lying, we all know that our model has sustainability as long as we continue to enjoy Premier League status.

I think the club have testing times ahead season ticket renewals, including the 5 year 1901 re-sign also boxes to fill.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Thomas Tuchel = Satchel mouth.

I wonder if he gets all the time in the world to turn things round for the West End Blues?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I'm of the opinion that Tony Bloom will not tolerate relegation as some on here think he will,

No, I don't think Bloom is lying, we all know that our model has sustainability as long as we continue to enjoy Premier League status.

I think the club have testing times ahead season ticket renewals, including the 5 year 1901 re-sign also boxes to fill.

[emoji106] fair enough you have legit reasons.

I think the club may be more (reluctantly) accepting of relegation then some think. It’s been mentioned by the club a few times. It’s the norm, outside top 6 every club is relegated eventually. It’s almost inevitable.

The trick to build a club self sustaining capable of bouncing back and not being bankrupt or suffering multiple relegations. That’s how you win long term.

Hopefully we won’t have to find out any time soon as I think Potter will keep us up again personally.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Hyppia wasn’t sacked. He resigned. I have just reread two articles about it, both of which said Bloom tried to persuade him not to go.

Awaits the barrage of “if you believe that.........” , but mr Bloom does not sack people at the drop of a hat.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Hyppia wasn’t sacked. He resigned. I have just reread two articles about it, both of which said Bloom tried to persuade him not to go.

Awaits the barrage of “if you believe that.........” , but mr Bloom does not sack people at the drop of a hat.

Well if what you say is true, I would have to question Bloom's judgement at the time, Hyypiä was dreadful. :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Well if what you say is true, I would have to question Bloom's judgement at the time, Hyypiä was dreadful. :shrug:

I think his refusal to sack Hyypia was less to do with his performance and more to do with taking an element of responsibility for the utterly woeful recruitment decision that season. We lost Ulloa, Buckley, Kuszczak, Upson and Spanish Dave and replaced them with the likes of Toko, Holla, O'Grady, McCourt, Bennett, Gardner. All utterly, UTTERLY dreadful. The only signing that were any good were Stockdale, Baldock and Teixeira.

Listening to the Football, The Albion and me podcast, a couple of the players said that actually Hyypia wasnt't as bad as the results suggested, but his ideas didn't really take and the squad was simply not good enough to keep up. We basically replaced a Play-Off squad with a relegation battling one.

That said, his use of full backs as wingers with no cover was insane...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I think his refusal to sack Hyypia was less to do with his performance and more to do with taking an element of responsibility for the utterly woeful recruitment decision that season. We lost Ulloa, Buckley, Kuszczak, Upson and Spanish Dave and replaced them with the likes of Toko, Holla, O'Grady, McCourt, Bennett, Gardner. All utterly, UTTERLY dreadful. The only signing that were any good were Stockdale, Baldock and Teixeira.

Listening to the Football, The Albion and me podcast, a couple of the players said that actually Hyypia wasnt't as bad as the results suggested, but his ideas didn't really take and the squad was simply not good enough to keep up. We basically replaced a Play-Off squad with a relegation battling one.

So I rest my case, Hyypiä was dreadful, he wasn't experienced enough to get the best out of what players he had and clearly didn't want to try and build a Championship team, ergo resigned.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
[emoji106] fair enough you have legit reasons.

I think the club may be more (reluctantly) accepting of relegation then some think. It’s been mentioned by the club a few times. It’s the norm, outside top 6 every club is relegated eventually. It’s almost inevitable.

The trick to build a club self sustaining capable of bouncing back and not being bankrupt or suffering we multiple relegations. That’s how you win long term.

Hopefully we won’t have to find out any time soon as I think Potter will keep us up again personally.
Hughton was sacked because and I quote TB ‘ Our PL status was at risk ‘ TB knows going down is a financial disaster. If we lose to Fulham Potter could be treading on thin ice.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Hughton was sacked because and I quote TB ‘ Our PL status was at risk ‘ TB knows going down is a financial disaster. If we lose to Fulham Potter could be treading on thin ice.

Hughton was sacked at the end of the season if you remember. And i think the difference was the performances, which I believe was also alluded to in TBs statement. We were backs to the wall, no shots on target every game and getting humiliated in Hughton’s end times.

Compare that to GP. And even if you’re not his biggest fan, you would surely recognise that we’re not really getting destroyed by anyone. Bar a few, we’ve been in every single game and nearly always dominating. And shots? We’re taking the game to people away from home. We have ourselves to blame for not converting enough draws to wins. If we changed a few draws to wins we’d be mid table.

So whether you like it or not a huge difference if we went down playing like that, compared to CH.

It’s Tony’s call anyway. And as I say, I don’t think it’ll happen. I believe we’ll stay up again.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Hughton was sacked at the end of the season if you remember. And i think the difference was the performances, which I believe was also alluded to in TBs statement. We were backs to the wall, no shots on target every game and getting humiliated in Hughton’s end times.

Compare that to GP. And even if you’re not his biggest fan, you would surely recognise that we’re not really getting destroyed by anyone. Bar a few, we’ve been in every single game and nearly always dominating. And shots? We’re taking the game to people away from home. We have ourselves to blame for not converting enough draws to wins. If we changed a few draws to wins we’d be mid table.

So whether you like it or not a huge difference if we went down playing like that, compared to CH.

It’s Tony’s call anyway. And as I say, I don’t think it’ll happen. I believe we’ll stay up again.

Me too! Also please let us beat Fulham.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Hyppia’s tactics required very quick full backs. Schoolboy error and a bit a bit thick to try and play that way with the player’s at his disposal. Exposed in the pre season friendly against Saints and it didn’t get any better. The only decent performance I can remember is Norwich away

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Hyppia’s tactics required very quick full backs. Schoolboy error and a bit a bit thick to try and play that way with the player’s at his disposal. Exposed in the pre season friendly against Saints and it didn’t get any better. The only decent performance I can remember is Norwich away

We had a very decent 2-0 win at Leeds early in the season, with Teixeira scoring on his full debut (I think I had a pic of him celebrating that goal as my avatar for a while).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here