Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes he is. My own experience was the one occasionally recently I needed assistance from my constituency mp he was less than helpful. Caroline lucas, despite not being my MP was brilliant as what impacted me could also impact her constituents. Lloyd R-M was equally effective once he was elected in 2017 and was a key reason in me returning to the labour party
Mother -in-law (87) and lives in Whitehawk.

She's so pleased LRM won't be standing in her constituency.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I can sort of see where your coming from, I am flip flopping with Keir, I have expected him to ramp this election up and wipe the floor with the Tories, I suppose he may come out with some headline stuff soon, fingers crossed.
I think the leaders debates could be a banana skin for Labour. First one next week, and presumably more to follow. Keir vs Rishi should be interesting viewing. Whatever you think of his record, the fact is that Sunak has more charisma than Starmer. I know elections shouldn’t be decided, or influenced, by personalities over policies but politics is a people business, and getting that emotional connection with the voters does make a difference. I’m thinking of the "I agree with Nick" debate in 2010 when Clegg (remember him?) came out way ahead of Cameron and Brown and went on to win enough seats to be a coalition partner. Fortunately for the current big two, Ed Davey isn’t going to have any impact like that obviously but I still expect the debates to make a difference in public perception. Which way? Who knows but Labour have more to lose.

Whilst I can understand every reason to not vote Tory I cannot see a single reason to vote Labour. They have an open goal and what they’re coming up with is total ditchwater. It’s making me look for a third party to vote for which will certainly be a wasted vote.
Yep, that’s where I am too. Nicely expressed..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People imho need to learn to separate the noise from tangibles. Kay Burley and others may be reveling in the sly agenda set by Abbott's mates etc. Giving the false impression of Labour in disarray. Think of it in terms of a football club/team going places, with a couple of sidelined players trying to throw spanners in the works through the media.

It did appear easier for Blair because it had a small army of bullying henchmen .... Campbell, Reid, Prescott and the Machiavellian Mandelson.
Yep. Every organization, no matter how virtuous, has its headbanger followers.

Look at the North Stand at the Amex. Some of the sorts you find there are quite extraordinary and yet the overall whole is largely virtuous. Or so it seems from my vantage point in west upper :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the leaders debates could be a banana skin for Labour. First one next week, and presumably more to follow. Keir vs Rishi should be interesting viewing. Whatever you think of his record, the fact is that Sunak has more charisma than Starmer. I know elections shouldn’t be decided, or influenced, by personalities over policies but politics is a people business, and getting that emotional connection with the voters does make a difference. I’m thinking of the "I agree with Nick" debate in 2010 when Clegg (remember him?) came out way ahead of Cameron and Brown and went on to win enough seats to be a coalition partner. Fortunately for the current big two, Ed Davey isn’t going to have any impact like that obviously but I still expect the debates to make a difference in public perception. Which way? Who knows but Labour have more to lose.

Yep, that’s where I am too. Nicely expressed..
😂😂

Sunak has ZERO charisma. He’s like a wimpy schoolboy.

Charisma? Holy cow.

Sunak will get flustered and lose his cool. Starmer will be calm and steady.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It’s funny (peculiar) because the Green Party is further left than Labour, so the ‘purists’ do have somewhere to go.
Seriously, even the LibDems are left of Labour these days and far more radical. Shows how far Labour have travelled recently. I can understand the reasons for Labour's "don’t scare the horses" strategy but if you compromise too much you lose your identity.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
😂😂

Sunak has ZERO charisma. He’s like a wimpy schoolboy.

Charisma? Holy cow.

Sunak will get flustered and lose his cool. Starmer will be calm and steady.
"More charisma than Starmer" is what I said. Mind you, a wet dish cloth has more charisma than Sir Keir so not a high bar.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
…..
As for Diane Abbot. This is now turning into a self fulfilling prophecy. Nobody has said to her she is barred. The leader has said she isn't barred. Her behaviour and reaction now makes it nigh on impossible she can stand as a labour candidate so it ends up as predicted by her but not for the reasons. Having seen her at the rally last night her 'speech' lacked details and was playing to the gallery.
He said no decision has been made yet.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
They both have none. But I’m not bothered about that on a pecking order of attributes to run the UK.
Maybe It shouldn’t matter but it does, and will influence some voters. That’s why the leaders debates will be important. Probably not enough to swing the result, admittedly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe It shouldn’t matter but it does, and will influence some voters. That’s why the leaders debates will be important. Probably not enough to swing the result, admittedly.
But doesn’t 0 against 0 cancel out here?

We’re not talking Nixon v JFK 1960 on TV.

Perhaps not a bad thing, they/we can concentrate on policy, rather than the slickest barrister/orator.

Last edited:

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014

The man cannot be trusted.

We're going to a have a Labour government and that's a good thing but we need to be more critical IMO. Some of what I've read comes across like the people that'd never admit to the Tories doing wrong.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Telegraph keeps coming out with this nonsense. Starmer is a barrister, an absolutely top-drawer barrister. What he does is marshall arguments and use it against opponents - be they other lawyers or politicians. He tied Johnson up in knots - his understated "I'll just leave it there" was the first step towards Johnson's removal. He now gives Sunak a hard time at PMQ, reducing him to mentions of Corbyn. Starmer also makes Sunak ask him questions, leading to regular references to him being happy to step in as prime minister. Sunak is protected to a certain extent by Speaker Hoyle - that won't happen in televised debates, the presenters will smell blood in the water and won't let him waffle.

The debates are going to be Starmer's natural territory and claims that he'll be frightened of them is wishful thinking.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The Telegraph keeps coming out with this nonsense. Starmer is a barrister, an absolutely top-drawer barrister. What he does is marshall arguments and use it against opponents - be they other lawyers or politicians. He tied Johnson up in knots - his understated "I'll just leave it there" was the first step towards Johnson's removal. He now gives Sunak a hard time at PMQ, reducing him to mentions of Corbyn. Starmer also makes Sunak ask him questions, leading to regular references to him being happy to step in as prime minister. Sunak is protected to a certain extent by Speaker Hoyle - that won't happen in televised debates, the presenters will smell blood in the water and won't let him waffle.

The debates are going to be Starmer's natural territory and claims that he'll be frightened of them is wishful thinking.
I was just about to post something very similar.

As a barrister, (and one of the top barristers in the country at that) debate and public speaking is his bread and butter. It’s quite literally one of the key attributes which led him from a normal, fairly poor background to becoming one of the top lawyers in the country.

I’d imagine Starmer is rubbing his hands together and preparing extremely diligently. I’m not expecting an “I agree with Nick” style swing in popularity, but I’m expecting a clinical, concise and highly professional debate - at least from Starmer.

It’s what he does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here