Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Better still make it easy for people to apply from safe countries and process the claims quickly abroad, and bring in the ones with valid claims and reject the rest. Then people have no need to make the crossing in the first place. Especially if we deported everyone who made it and told them to go through the proper process.
President Macron offered to have an asylum processing centre in France to avoid another Sangatte, and Theresa May turned it down.
Of course, whilst we were in the EU, we had the right to return anyone trying to enter the country that way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Starmer seems to have outmaneuvered them largely by ignoring them, but the second they retweet an anti-Semitic tweet, he flushed them down the bog. Simple and elegant. No debate.

People imho need to learn to separate the noise from tangibles. Kay Burley and others may be reveling in the sly agenda set by Abbott's mates etc. Giving the false impression of Labour in disarray. Think of it in terms of a football club/team going places, with a couple of sidelined players trying to throw spanners in the works through the media.

It did appear easier for Blair because it had a small army of bullying henchmen .... Campbell, Reid, Prescott and the Machiavellian Mandelson.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Fun fact. Simon Kirby is an Albion sth in my area in the North stand.
Yes he is. My own experience was the one occasionally recently I needed assistance from my constituency mp he was less than helpful. Caroline lucas, despite not being my MP was brilliant as what impacted me could also impact her constituents. Lloyd R-M was equally effective once he was elected in 2017 and was a key reason in me returning to the labour party

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
People imho need to learn to separate the noise from tangibles. Kay Burley and others may be reveling in the sly agenda set by Abbott's mates etc. Giving the false impression of Labour in disarray. Think of it in terms of a football club/team going places, with a couple of sidelined players trying to throw spanners in the works through the media.

It did appear easier for Blair because it had a small army of bullying henchmen .... Campbell, Reid, Prescott and the Machiavellian Mandelson.
I think I'd like to have a small army of bullying henchmen. I think it would make my general day to day life easier.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Labour is the only sensible party to lead the UK at the moment.

I’ll do whatever it takes to get the Tory’s out.

Labour lost my respect though when they hired Natalie Elphicke.
They also lost my wife's vote when they welcomed Natalie Elphicke. As I've already posted, I think Starmer is calculating that by shifting right (including by binning left-leaning MPs) he'll pick up more votes and seats in former Red Wall constituencies than he'll lose in places like Brighton Pavilion and Kemptown.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That blocks the view of someone, he's incredibly tall.
Him and his son, but all those behind him are standing any way. He’s a nice bloke, and I know he helped an elderly friend of mine in Peacehaven.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They also lost my wife's vote when they welcomed Natalie Elphicke. As I've already posted, I think Starmer is calculating that by shifting right (including by binning left-leaning MPs) he'll pick up more votes and seats in former Red Wall constituencies than he'll lose in places like Brighton Pavilion and Kemptown.

Do you Green's have a great chance in Kemp Town?

Two Brighton MP's and say one in Bristol, would be amazing.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
That blocks the view of someone, he's incredibly tall.
Also fun fact, he was the only conservative councillor ro support the albion plating at withdean (he was simon radford-kirby then, before call me Dave required people to lose their double barrelled names in order to be more approachable)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That really got to me as well. I know she’s not standing again, but she was as corrupt as her husband and as duplicitous.
The nepotism involved when she took over her husband's seat also grated.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton

I noticed that the poll had 2 Green MPs. I doubt we'll get another in Kemptown as the Green vote in E Brighton and Telscombe/ Peacehaven isn't strong. Hopefully Pavilion will stay Green and maybe Bristol and another in E Anglia. There are strong local campaign issues in both those places and the Greens have been doing well in local politics without the media attention that was focused on Brighton.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
By her own admission the words used in one of the tweets she liked were regrettable and did align to a trope.

It wasn't a single item. The standards need to be exceeded not on just on the line.

Don't get me wrong, she has been an effective candidate and would likely have won but at what cost?
It’s obvious what the cost would have been.

Mail/Express/Sun/Telegraph/GB News/Kuenssberg targeting the Labour Party and Sir Keir for weeks. Headlines around Keir going soft on antisemitism and Labour allowing antisemitic candidates pushed out to millions in newspapers, online and on TV. And for the Tories, the perfect tagline :-

‘Labour has not changed under Starmer, Antisemitism is welcome back.’

Do I think what Faiza said could normally be sorted with an apology in a sensible world. But Labour are facing a media dominated by a right wing agenda. They’d have lost many, many votes if Starmer hadn’t taken decisive action and give the Tories the kind of boost we could all do without.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

Ellie Chowns in North Herefordshire is also doing great things and going toe to toe with Tories especially with the wanton destruction of the River Wye. Well-spoken, dynamic with clear goals. Certainly has my vote.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Regards to Simon Kirby - he is a thoroughly decent man who genuinely has the city’s interests at heart. There are some good people behind the dross cabinet. Didn’t even realise he was an Albion fan, but knew about his support during the Withdean era.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Regards to Simon Kirby - he is a thoroughly decent man who genuinely has the city’s interests at heart. There are some good people behind the dross cabinet. Didn’t even realise he was an Albion fan, but knew about his support during the Withdean era.
Especially compared to the vile Joe Miller who stood for the tories last time......!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here