Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
It can be incredibly difficult to convince the arrogant that they are just about to make a mistake.

Sunak doesn't seem the type to surround himself with strong-willed advisors who are unafraid of voicing an opposing opinion. More likely a bunch of smarmy acolytes who tell him how brilliant (and tall) he is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't know. I'm aware of numerous shameful candidates country wide. Lady standing in pavillion hasn't behaved in that way as far as I know

Thanks. Planning to vote Green, I felt sorry for the Labour canvasser who asked tonight.

I’ve always been aware that the Greens post a mid-90’s coup or metamorphosis became left of Labour in general. Because an old school Labour bloke I worked with, a bit unhinged, was furious that I was interested in “A Trotskyite party” :lolol: .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks. Planning to vote Green, I felt sorry for the Labour canvasser who asked tonight.

I’ve always been aware that the Greens post a mid-90’s coup or metamorphosis became left of Labour in general. Because an old school Labour bloke I worked with, a bit unhinged, was furious that I was interested in “A Trotskyite party” :lolol: .
Very much depends on the member. Some are watermelons others are moderates. The Green Party is an extremely broad church.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I don't know. I'm aware of numerous shameful candidates country wide. Lady standing in pavillion hasn't behaved in that way as far as I know
The BBC story about the investigation is here. 4 potential parliamentary candidates were stopped from standing although it's unclear if this was because of antisemitism. Nothing to suggest Sian Berry (Pavilion candidate) is involved.

It's worth noting that the Greens are the only party calling for a ceasefire and the UK to ban arms sales to Israel. Before anyone thinks this latter idea is a loony left thing, it's what Thatcher did after Israel had attacked Lebanon in 1982.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've always struggled with the Greens a bit, particularly on how they reconcile people generally moving around in things that run on petrol and immigration.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The BBC story about the investigation is here. 4 potential parliamentary candidates were stopped from standing although it's unclear if this was because of antisemitism. Nothing to suggest Sian Berry (Pavilion candidate) is involved.

It's worth noting that the Greens are the only party calling for a ceasefire and the UK to ban arms sales to Israel. Before anyone thinks this latter idea is a loony left thing, it's what Thatcher did after Israel had attacked Lebanon in 1982.

Have the Greens got any policies this time around on bloodsports in the Uk eg the ignored hunting with hounds law? That’s what attracted me to vote for Des Turner in 97, we later moved and so Lucas from the beginning here.

Carshalton Seagull

May 18, 2004
Sompting
Have the Greens got any policies this time around on bloodsports in the Uk eg the ignored hunting with hounds law? That’s what attracted me to vote for Des Turner in 97, we later moved and so Lucas from the beginning here.
"To better protect animals and their habitats Green MPs will push for:

• The creation a new Commission on Animal Protection.
  • A ban on all blood sports, including trail hunting"

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The greens raison d'etre used to be to get into coalitions and try and influence. Twice in recent history they ended up running brighton and hove as the biggest party (never with a majority). Once with Labour and once with conservatives. Both times were unmitigated disasters.

I also know of a number of people who are considered too extreme for labour who are now in the green party.

That being said, caroline lucas was a brilliant MP and would have graced any cabinet. It's just a pity that despite having an MP the greens got less airtime than the no elected MPs fascists. What is following her hasn't really been tested although I thought Carla denyer was good in the little ive seen

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The greens raison d'etre used to be to get into coalitions and try and influence. Twice in recent history they ended up running brighton and hove as the biggest party (never with a majority). Once with Labour and once with conservatives. Both times were unmitigated disasters.

I also know of a number of people who are considered too extreme for labour who are now in the green party.

That being said, caroline lucas was a brilliant MP and would have graced any cabinet. It's just a pity that despite having an MP the greens got less airtime than the no elected MPs fascists. What is following her hasn't really been tested although I thought Carla denyer was good in the little ive seen
I'm unsure what you mean by 'with the Conservatives' . There was never any agreement with the Tories and would never likely be. My recollection was that it was usually Labour deciding to vote with the Greens, but occasionally the Conservatives did. An ex-Green Councillor told me that the Tories were often easier to discuss issues with because they were united whereas Labour were riven with division and you often didn't know which way they'd vote.

The second time the Greens were the largest party was by default as Labour expelled some of its Councillors and others resigned the whip, leaving the Greens as the biggest party. Labour and Greens worked together on 4 issues which mainly worked (apart from Labour scuppering the Old Shoreham Road cycle lane). I'd disagree with your view about it being an unmitigated disaster - trying to run any council under continued cuts, during Covid etc while trying to hold onto your core beliefs was v difficult.

It's true that a lot of entryists joined the party (many from Labour) when the Greens were winning new seats in B&H, but they've evaporated now.

I agree with everything you've said about Caroline Lucas and Carla Denyer. Sian Berry is also a very good and experienced politician, has been a thorn in Sadiq Khan's side and has been working with Caroline Lucas on local constituency matters (eg the proposed sorting office at Patcham) for a while now.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
SCOTLAND'S Auditor General has been asked to investigate a company whose directors include Inverclyde Council leader Stephen McCabe after public funds were used to secure land in Greenock which is now wholly owned by private firm Clydeport. - Sounds very Toryesque but it's a labour councillor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
SCOTLAND'S Auditor General has been asked to investigate a company whose directors include Inverclyde Council leader Stephen McCabe after public funds were used to secure land in Greenock which is now wholly owned by private firm Clydeport. - Sounds very Toryesque but it's a labour councillor.

Corruption/lust for money has never just been a Tory local politician thing. Labour politicians have also been caught over the years. Money corrupts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Corruption/lust for money has never just been a Tory local politician thing. Labour politicians have also been caught over the years. Money corrupts.
Indeed. The received wisdom was that the Conservative party had sex scandals and the Labour party had financial ones. However, the Tories seem to be going all out to embrace any sort of scandal right now, they're not particular.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
"To better protect animals and their habitats Green MPs will push for:

• The creation a new Commission on Animal Protection.
  • A ban on all blood sports, including trail hunting"
Surely that should read a ban on blood sports and trail hunting.. not ‘including’ ?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Surely that should read a ban on blood sports and trail hunting.. not ‘including’ ?

Unless of course the trail hunters are 'accidentally' participating in a blood sport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here