Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

borat

Jul 16, 2003
It has to be one of two things.

1) There is a conspiracy amongst all print and TV news outlets, including GB News, the Daily Mail and the Telegraph not to print anything which could hurt the Labour Party

2) It isn't true

Regarding 1) I did some more digging and GB news have highlighted it via a video. Cant yet see it on any other sites.

Another possibility is that Media companies don't want to expose something that could lead to an investigation into their own billionaire owner(s) offshore tax affairs and highlight their hypocrisy.

Also possible some are waiting to verify it (although its now been 5 days so seems unlikely)

Michael Crick (ex BBC) has highlighted it.

a0c48287-fa9a-42d7-ac7f-8d4310f7ccac.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Regarding 1) I did some more digging and GB news have highlighted it via a video. Cant yet see it on any other sites.

Another possibility is that Media companies don't want to expose something that could lead to an investigation into their own billionaire owner(s) offshore tax affairs and highlight their hypocrisy.

Also possible some are waiting to verify it (although its now been 5 days so seems unlikely)

Michael Crick (ex BBC) has highlighted it.

View attachment 189300

The UK alone can do little about tax havens in the big picture. But I'd love a reshaped UK company law/tax system where entities and individuals here cannot gain from them in any shape and form. Similarly, a law preventing ownership of UK property or company shares in a tax haven .... in practical terms, from new deals only. When having a nose at the ultimate owner of UK businesses, so often you have to follow a tortuous trail until you eventually you come to, you guessed it, Jersey or BVI or Cayman Isles.

They can only be based there for vast tax savings reasons.

Before anyone claims it, this is not a post 2010 or a UK thing. The Panama, Liechtenstein and Swiss data leaks revealed swathes of crooked Germans, French, Dutch millionaires/billionaires too.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
The UK alone can do little about tax havens in the big picture. But I'd love a reshaped UK company law/tax system where entities and individuals here cannot gain from them in any shape and form. Similarly, a law preventing ownership of UK property or company shares in a tax haven .... in practical terms, from new deals only. When having a nose at the ultimate owner of UK businesses, so often you have to follow a tortuous trail until you eventually you come to, you guessed it, Jersey or BVI or Cayman Isles.

Before anyone claims it, this is not a post 2010 or a UK thing. The Panama, Liechtenstein and Swiss data leaks revealed swathes of crooked Germans, French, Dutch millionaires/billionaires too.

The detail the donor is in the Caymans is only part of the story.

This donation is one of the biggest the Labour party has ever received and from a hedge fund with significant shares in private health, arms and fossil fuels companies. It appears it was deliberately timed to avoid surfacing pre-election.

What would such a company with its various interests wish to gain from such a donation you might wonder.

No other way to describe it other than corruption.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This donation is one of the biggest the Labour party has ever received and from a hedge fund with significant shares in private health, arms and fossil fuels companies. It appears it was deliberately timed to avoid surfacing pre-election.

What would such a company with its various interests wish to gain from such a donation you might wonder.

The funny thing is that Labour would’ve walked the GE without it, it was a 4 year cake walk, they only had to say nothing and largely didn’t. It absolutely wasn’t in this case a scenario where a large fighting fund was required to match Tory donors.

Donors unashamedly changed ship eg lifelong Tory John Caudwell, in a similar way to Murdoch in 1997. Wanting to be seen to be backing a winning horse and keep their feet in the No 10 door.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

I fear die hard Starmerites are going to need a lot more convincing

Surely it's a noble pursuit ... Just like giving to charity.

And they're still canvassing for more it seems.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill

I don't know about these things but as much as I agree about closing down these tax havens or at least making them unusable from here the fact they are crown dependencies I think will cause a huge ruckus if they did anything drastic.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If I hear Rachel Reeves say the words "22 billion black hole" one more time I fear my TV will get launched out of the window.
You better get used to it.

I used to feel the same way whenever I heard the Tory party mention the note left by Labour in that desk and how they caused the global financial crisis. That lasted 14 years...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't know about these things but as much as I agree about closing down these tax havens or at least making them unusable from here the fact they are crown dependencies I think will cause a huge ruckus if they did anything drastic.

So be it.

But they’d still make fortunes out of corrupt Yanks, Germans and French.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here