Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Rayner seems to now be caught up in it, not properly declaring the use of a New York holiday home from Lord Alli

I understood it was properly declared. LK didn't challenge her on that, merely questioning why she accepted it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I understood it was properly declared. LK didn't challenge her on that, merely questioning why she accepted it.

Rayner on New York trip: 'I don't believe I broke any rules'published at 10:15 British Summer Time
10:15 BST​

The Sunday Times reported, external that Angela Rayner appeared to have breached parliamentary rules by failing to declare that a friend joined her on a “personal holiday” - funded by Lord Alli, the multimillionaire peer and Labour donor.

The newspaper reported that the deputy prime minister did not report that Sam Tarry, then the Ilford South MP, stayed with her at a $2.5 million apartment in Manhattan.

Angela Rayner pushed back saying it was a "personal holiday" and she didn't travel to New York with another person, but "that person went to New York and I met up with them".

You can listen to more of what Rayner had to say about that in the below clip.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Yes she did declare it but seems to have plucked the amount out thin air. Think a penthouse in New York would cost a bit more than £1250 to rent.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes she did declare it but seems to have plucked the amount out thin air. Think a penthouse in New York would cost a bit more than £1250 to rent.

For a $2.5m apartment with stunning views.

I've seen that modest rent figure banded about. But when we, 9 months ahead, looked at apartments to let for a few days or more in NYC, we would've had to pay far more for hovels with no view.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Lord Alli didn’t expect a favour in return.

View attachment 189244

It’s a tangled web innit, and the more those caught in it continue to plead “innocence” or point to “technicalities” in the rules the deeper the contempt for the political class and wider establishment will be by the British public.

If multiple house owning Ange thinks the British public will swallow the concept that wealthy and influential individuals simply spaff over 500k of their fortune so that politicians they support can look nice, she must be eating shaving foam.

This is a man with a Labour life peerage.

What a shambles………those point scoring chickens hatched in opposition are certainly back in the run big style ain’t they.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Yes, I guess it's a kind of 'I know best, don't challenge me'. There's an element of it's the correct thing to do in taking it away from the richer pensioners.
But, imo using Pension Credit as the determinor is the only way that they can means test it. That's when they should have said STOP, this doesn't work.

The political radar should be trying to break down the algorithm that any cuts or tax rises for the U.K. populace, (pensioners or otherwise) will need to be reconciled with the general public’s understanding that taxpayers continue to underwrite billions of pounds of aid to foreign countries, (including Ukraine) and the legions of chancers now sitting in nicely heated hotels.

I don’t doubt this is tricky, and if Lucy Powell is to be belied we are 1.5bn from a sterling crisis and possible default.

My gut says that’s bollox, if she’s speaking frankly of course we will ALL need to feel the pain………..military allies, future British citizens and pensioners.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
It may have been mentioned but what LWA did with the Koovs business was at best morally bankrupt and at worse criminal. No political party should let this guy anywhere near them.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Sorry for repeating this point again but I believe this cut is ideological for Reeves, as shown in this House of Commons clip from 2014:

So she was intent on getting at rich people with out a single thought or care for low income pensioners. She had 10 years to come up with a way of taking money off the rich while protecting the poor. No. Give a stuff. Shameful.

Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here