Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour Party Conference in Brighton, 26-30 Sept. Early discussion and ideas.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The banner on the pier idea sounds good to me, it's always in the background of every Brighton based TV report. Failing that, borrow or hire lots of boats, dinghies etc, stick banners on them and sail between the piers all day honking horns and generally making a racket.

Have to find out if the police have a no-sail zone set up of course ;)

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
All i know is that if there's no decision by the time of this bloody conference then i am determined to make it onto the news by throwing a salvo of eggs at Prescott.And i hope he comes at me with fists flying.

i'm prepared to do the time

Brixtaan said:
All i know is that if there's no decision by the time of this bloody conference then i am determined to make it onto the news by throwing a salvo of eggs at Prescott.And i hope he comes at me with fists flying.

i'm prepared to do the time

Blimey, you could win gold at Athens in the javelin if you cauld do that............................................

You won't get within half a mile of the conference centre or the hotels, the sea-front will be cordoned off, there'll be a no fly zone in place, there'll be a navy frigate off the palace pier and of course I forgot the marksmen on the rooftops..............

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Storer68 said:
Blimey, you could win gold at Athens in the javelin if you cauld do that............................................

You won't get within half a mile of the conference centre or the hotels, the sea-front will be cordoned off, there'll be a no fly zone in place, there'll be a navy frigate off the palace pier and of course I forgot the marksmen on the rooftops..............

haha,mmm,i hadn't thought of that:lolol:

i had visions of just a WPC at the door with a rope cordon in front of her watching for suspicious sweating dark skinned men with beards?

Not a pasty greying idiot with a loud stripey football shirt!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about just driving into Brighton from all the major roads ie.A23,Seafront from East and West with a long queue of cars to thus bring the town to a standstill. A large number of people attending the conference will be driving into Brighton. I believe that the Road Haulage Association did similar to draw attention to one of their protests and it made all the national news broadcasts.

How many more cars would it take to completly gridlock the M25

Not many I shouldn't think.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Storer68 said:
there'll be a navy frigate off the palace pier and of course I forgot the marksmen on the rooftops..............

What if we give them our eggs-do you think they'd thrown 'em for us?

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Whatever we do must be innovative/funny to capture maximum media coverage.

I would love to be close enough to flour bomb the bugger, but realistically we aren't gonna get close enough to him, unless we meet him round the Lanes looking for jewellery, or down at Reg Vardy looking for a new jag.

Traffic is a very sensitive area, and with a city as congested as Brighton there is very little the Police can do to prevent some sort of mass hold-up, either by marchers or cars. They can't close down the whole place.

Other than that the boats, flying banners sounds good to me, but as Lord Bracknell said it might be better to keep any concrete plans hush hush. I don't think it is paranoia to think they might be monitoring this site.

I'm prepared to chip in with some dosh for anything that will make an impact.

No time for kid gloves now - the decision HAS been made, and anything we do will not change that. We need to force their hand, preferably before the Conference.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Here are my thoughts.

If there is still no decision 2 weeks before the start of the Conference, we put out a press release announcing our intention to stand as the Seagulls Party in the event of a 'No' vote, together with the majorities of each Labour MP in our local constituences.

This will concentrate their minds. They know that people are totally pissed off with all politicians for all kinds of reasons we all know very well and with some clever publicity we could get a lot of support outside the immediate Albion camp.

So I suggest: Monday 13th September - no result, we take action.

Thoughts please.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The theory is good but will Tony BLIAR be worried if he loses two seats as he will probably still have a healthy majority unless the Tories get their act together.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
attila said:
Here are my thoughts.

If there is still no decision 2 weeks before the start of the Conference, we put out a press release announcing our intention to stand as the Seagulls Party in the event of a 'No' vote, together with the majorities of each Labour MP in our local constituences.

This will concentrate their minds. They know that people are totally pissed off with all politicians for all kinds of reasons we all know very well and with some clever publicity we could get a lot of support outside the immediate Albion camp.

So I suggest: Monday 13th September - no result, we take action.

Thoughts please.

Sounds excellent. Thirty thousand Albion fans coming together at Cardiff was almost certainly the most cohesive force it is possible to muster for any single cause in Brighton & Hove. More than fox-hunting, or fuel surcharges or even an anti-war demo. Labour need to be made fully aware that Albion fans have the will, the intelligence and the organisation to stand as an independent Seagulls Party against their elected MPs. 'Ave it!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've always been against putting up a Seagulls party in general elections. The reason? Labour would love it if we did that in the event of a "no". It would split the anti-Labour vote and actually make it MORE likely that Labour get in!

This happened in the last general election with UKIP. If UKIP had not put up so many candidates, the Tories would have done better and not lost so many seats to the Lib Dems. In one constituency, the Lib Dems were running up against voters saying: "We don't like you pro-European views". So the sneaky feckers said: "Well in that case you must vote for UKIP, they're the most anti-European of all."

The Lib Dems won it from the Tories by 33 votes.

Last edited:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I don't agree.

I think (rightly or wrongly) Labour would reckon to have more voters among football supporters than other parties.

So an Albion party would seriously worry them.

And don't forget that politicians of all mainstream parties hate the "amateurs" getting involved - the unknown quantity throws a spanner into all their normal planning.

And they know that football means more to thousands of us than any amount of "policy initiatives".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a helluva lot of Labour voters who fully intend abstaining at the next General Election if Tony B.Liar's still in No. 10 and who could not QUITE bring themselves to vote for the nothingness of the LibDems and who would rather eat their own heads than vote Tory. Seagulls Party fills the gap quite nicely.

bobbycodpiece

Jul 25, 2004
Brighton
"Sounds excellent. Thirty thousand Albion fans coming together at Cardiff was almost certainly the most cohesive force it is possible to muster for any single cause in Brighton & Hove. More than fox-hunting, or fuel surcharges or even an anti-war demo. Labour need to be made fully aware that Albion fans have the will, the intelligence and the organisation to stand as an independent Seagulls Party against their elected MPs. 'Ave it!"

.....the 30,000 fans didn't all come from one of the three Brighton & Hove Labour held constituencies did they ?? and quite a few of that 30,000 weren't old enough to vote either.......you'd be better off using the £500 deposit you'd need for each candidate in buying a few more seats at Withdean !

steventhesquirrel

Jul 31, 2003
Hangleton
this all sounds quality, and i will definatly come down to the Brighton Centre tommorow if he does say that two lettered word! be great if the brighton fans could get themselfves some real publicity by the press!

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
We should not protest - we should demonstrate publicly our need for this stadium. Peacefully.

Banners, placards, leaflets and a large show of numbers in the stripes should do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here