Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour Party Conference in Brighton, 26-30 Sept. Early discussion and ideas.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Right you have swayed me with your argument.

I think Liz or Sarah should sit on top of the clock tower for a week with a falmer for all blanket on!!!

Peaceful prtest...pah.....

Build a Bonfire
Build a bonfire
Put the labour scum on the top
Put Kilroy silk in the middle
and burn the fecking lot

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
How about having a human ring entirely surrounding the conference security zone all armed with banners/whistles/anything else which generates colour and noise? Not too sure how many people you would need though.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
nice time to let you know if you have got falmer 100s of brighton fans cheering through out the Conference would be good pr for the goverment?

Demonstrations outside the Conference are always tightly controlled by the authorities (who are particularly sensitive about the possibility that there might be unexpected attacks on senior government figures).

To get anywhere near the place, it will be necessary to negotiate with the authorities in advance. The Countryside Alliance did this a couple of years ago.

Now ... four questions ...

1. Does anybody imagine that we have got this close to the event (it's only two months away) without some discussions going on about the possibility that Albion fans MIGHT wish to demonstrate?

;)

2. Might the POSSIBILITY of a rough reception for Prescott be something that his political advisors are already aware of?

3. What are political advisors for?

4. Who thinks that some things the campaign gets up to might be most effectively done quietly behind the scenes (at least at the early planning stages)?

I'm only asking, you understand.

:)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Lord Bracknell said:
Demonstrations outside the Conference are always tightly controlled by the authorities (who are particularly sensitive about the possibility that there might be unexpected attacks on senior government figures).

To get anywhere near the place, it will be necessary to negotiate with the authorities in advance. The Countryside Alliance did this a couple of years ago.

Now ... four questions ...

1. Does anybody imagine that we have got this close to the event (it's only two months away) without some discussions going on about the possibility that Albion fans MIGHT wish to demonstrate?

;)

2. Might the POSSIBILITY of a rough reception for Prescott be something that his political advisors are already aware of?

3. What are political advisors for?

4. Who thinks that some things the campaign gets up to might be most effectively done quietly behind the scenes (at least at the early planning stages)?

I'm only asking, you understand.

:)

Is this going to be as exciting and hush hush as the advertising truck in London?

Forgive me if I don't wet myself just yet...

Lammy - no-one is suggesting that a quiet demonstration is likely.

Hopefully there'll be no need for any protest. If there is, I would imagine that there'll be thousands of angry people in town. Who could stop that happening?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I can't believe that an announcement wouldn't have been made by then. However...

Are Labour holding their race day at Brighton Racecourse, like they have on previous occasions? If so, that would be a perfect opportunity. We don't even have to get near the event. Just advertising in the programme, and putting the banners up along the entrance would do.

If not... bugger.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
I can't believe that an announcement wouldn't have been made by then. However...

Are Labour holding their race day at Brighton Racecourse, like they have on previous occasions? If so, that would be a perfect opportunity. We don't even have to get near the event. Just advertising in the programme, and putting the banners up along the entrance would do.

If not... bugger.

Just had a check. Seems to be no Racecourse meeting that is a tie-in with the Conference this time.

And I can all too well believe that no announcement will have been made by then (I mean, one should have been made by NOW) and IMHO the possibility/probability of extended public protest should be given a high profile in advance. New Labour hate things that make them look bad in the media, and this is a one-off chance to let them know EXACTLY how strongly the people of Brighton believe in this. Doubt there's another single issue that could unite this deeply fragmented town in such a way.

Last edited:

Old Goat

Jun 8, 2004
What about putting a huge banner along the side of the Palace Pier? It is always in the background of any reporter on TV in Brighton especially at party conferences. Maybe the Pier owners could be persuaded to allow this?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Old Goat said:
What about putting a huge banner along the side of the Palace Pier? It is always in the background of any reporter on TV in Brighton especially at party conferences. Maybe the Pier owners could be persuaded to allow this?

Bolleaux. They'd only set fire to it. A midnight raid to stick one on the end of the West Pier would be FAR better.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I agree with Tom Hark over this, IF there's no decision by then.

I also think if there's a Yes in advance, then we should stage some sort of official love-in with the Labour Party.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
if its a no then i'll be up for any sort of protest,mind you them fuckers that guard these things have guns.:shootself :ohmy:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
_wilka_ said:
Putting the Falmer banners up on all the bridges along the a23 would be a good idea.

Prescott is hardly going to get the train is he.

I'm sure I read that somewhere earlier;)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm up for any protesting. I have posted before on a previous thread re: a banner tow from an aircraft across the city. Some one here may well know a Shoreham based pilot who may be helpful.

Can model aeroplanes or helicopters take off from the beach? Can they be modified to drop eggs or powder bombs?

Lastly has anyone the use of a boat? They could fly flags from the mast, or have a decoarted sail.

I belive if there is no decision we must peacefully protest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here