Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kwik Fit and MOT!!!!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
This is the 3rd year that we have had Kwik Fit do the MOT on the wifes Sports Car, just had a phone call from them saying it hads failed, I said, "what on" he said " A Headlight Bulb" I said we checked ALL the lights prior to dropp ing it off to you this morning at 8.30 (which we did i might add) I went on to say, "its one helluva coincidence that it has gone between then and us dropping it off and she didnt even have the lights on this morning as she was following me and I would have noticed in my rear viw mirror........a long deathly silence followed!!

I then said, well ok how much is it to replace the bulb, £10.99 he said, I said best you do it and I will have a chat when we pick it up later.

I know everyone will say all these big companys are always after "Add ons" etc but in fairness the last 2 years we have not had anything extra, I cant argue the fact that it had'nt gone as I cant prove it either way, I just feel ripped off for £11 not the end of the world but thats not the point.

I suppose on the plus side I got the MOT done for £30 and the full service had a 25% discount from its normal cost, so maybe they had to get a few quid back! :lol:

Oh and I have asked to have all the replaced parts back, now including the bulb!! :lol:

Ok rant over, i feel better now :)

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I wouldn't go anywhere near Kwik Fit but having said that, I would have thought they would come up with something more money-spinning than a bulb replacement were they pulling a fast one on you.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I would be interested to know if the old bulb they give you is the one they replaced from your car originally, but that's just me being cynical! Either that or the message didn't get relayed to keep the part!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I wouldn't go anywhere near Kwik Fit but having said that, I would have thought they would come up with something more money-spinning than a bulb replacement were they pulling a fast one on you.

Yeah I sort of thought that, but I suppose £11 is £11 quid! and a very simply earned £11 at that!

Out of interest why would you not go near Kwik Fit?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
wife had a new tyre put on a few years ago,we drove along sussex pad hotel lancing,then veared to the left after a massive noise,called AA,they couldnt beleive they hadnt tightened the wheel and it was just loose,the bloke that did it got sacked,and i had the 360quid bill wiped out as long as i didnt go to the press

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I was reminded earlier today of a similar rant someone made over paying a tenner to replace a watch battery in a local jeweller. As i had to nip into Brighton and my watch had stopped, I decided I would take a walk along Western Road and see how much they charged in town for this service.

After walking about half a mile I found a shop in Hove (closed all day Wednesday) and probably only still there until the old boy decides to retire. Plenty of the old shops seem to have been replaced by coffee shops (which will not come as a surprise to anyone), but strangely you never hear people ranting about paying a tenner for two cups of coffee and a tiny slice of cake.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I was reminded earlier today of a similar rant someone made over paying a tenner to replace a watch battery in a local jeweller. As i had to nip into Brighton and my watch had stopped, I decided I would take a walk along Western Road and see how much they charged in town for this service.

Had mine done for a fiver last week!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I gave up on Kwik Fit years ago when they told me that the front shock absorbers needed replacing, I chose not to have them done and the next time I had the car serviced, at another garage, they told me there was nothing wrong with them. the car did another 30K before I sold it and a couple more MOTs, and they still didn't need replacing. I also gave up on SE Tyres when they refused to waive any charge on my daughter's car repair bill after it failed on emissions because it needed a new catalytic converter being 2 days outside of guarantee the year after they'd already replaced it because it had failed on the very same thing the previous year.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Do we have one thread set up with recommended traders and ones to steer clear of? I couldn't find one.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I tend to have the service done at the same time as the mot ( private garage ), have done now for five or six years and funny enough the car has passed with flying colours. Coincidence or not, I haven't had any extra little jobs to pay for from the mot!!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do we have one thread set up with recommended traders and ones to steer clear of? I couldn't find one.

I think it was Mouldy Boots (apologies if it was someone else!) who recommended Swift Motors in Worthing to me, I have used them for my car and my daughters for a couple of years now and can HIGHLY recommend them :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think it was Mouldy Boots who recommended Swift Motors in Worthing to me, I have used them for my car and my daughters for a couple of years now and can HIGHLY recommedn them :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip but i also mean painters/ decorators, carpenters etc all on one thread, think that could be very useful for some people.

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
All robbing fuckers in my opinion !!

I had my exhaust done years ago (at kwik fit )

When I came to pay (£110) I asked the guy doing it if they took electron, to which he replied that they didn't and I would have to take cash.

After scratching his chin for 5 minutes he said if you are willing to take a receipt for £50 he would charge me £80.

Now at the time I'm thinking hell yea, I save £30 and the jobs already done. He clearly takes £30 and we are both £30 better off.

9 months later the exhaust develops a fault, when I call to explain and try to book it in to be fixed on a warranty I'm told that I can't as I didn't have that part done - whilst not wanting to be a grass I didn't want to be screwed for another £100+ so I explained what happened. The answer was " sorry I didn't realise Dave did it.......that's done being it in and we will replace it free of charge !!!

Incredible

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I think it was Mouldy Boots (apologies if it was someone else!) who recommended Swift Motors in Worthing to me, I have used them for my car and my daughters for a couple of years now and can HIGHLY recommend them :thumbsup:

I read that sometime ago. I can say they are very good. Done my last 2 M.O.T's. :thumbsup:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Kwik Fit have a terrible reputation for always finding something extra that just HAS to be done......

I guess that is how they cover the low headline charges. I have been going to a local firm for service/MOT lately.

ATS have been good for tyres ...but that is my experience , not a blanket recommendation

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Used Kwik Fit once for new tyres and they "found" a whole host of other things I might like to get them to do. Didn't do them and when I got my car serviced at Bells Hollingbury, they checked each and every thing Kwik Fit suggested and basically said they were lying. I've used Fields and Express Tyres since then - both highly recommended. I did use Halfords for my MOT last year as £27 was too tempting to turn down !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here