Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kwik Fit and MOT!!!!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
We own a garage opposite Kwik Fit and I can honestly say they are one of our best customers, all the jobs that they can't do or the ones that they've f***ed up (there are a lot !) they send over to us, and in turn the customer vows never to go to Kwik Fit again and we gain a new customer. Its great we don't even need to advertise ! [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] is the bloke to ask for recommendations, I'm pretty sure he could recommend a garage in every town in sussex !

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I once took a car (XR3I) to quick fit(up) for an MOT and asked if they would fit a new front tyre prior to the MOT as I knew that was a failure before hand. My office was directly opposite the garage and I could see my car from my desk. About an hour later I got a phone call saying that they had taken a good look at the car and noticed that the rear suspension was looking non too pretty and whilst it wouldnt be deemed a failure it would be worth doing at the same time. I pointed out that a) the car hadn't moved since I'd dropped it off and b) that I could still see the car and there had been no activity around it since I'd parked it. Cue much spluttering on the other end of the phone when I asked how they'd come to the conclusion about the suspension .... needless to say I never went back (until it became a pub of course....)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Watchdog did a report on them a little while ago.

Basically they are scammers, find a good local garage would be my advice.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
They are rip-off merchants. Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Yeah I sort of thought that, but I suppose £11 is £11 quid! and a very simply earned £11 at that!

Out of interest why would you not go near Kwik Fit?

A couple of bad experiences including when they charged me £200 to replace a few plugs and ignition coils only me to pay and drive the car away to find the fault still there because they had not done ANY repair. Shocking.

I've subsequently heard similar stories from friends.

I now go to Bells up by Asda, Hollingbury. They're cheap, diligent, friendly and have Albion pics on the walls!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I go to the garage by Pelham Tower, (just up from London Road and below the station) I think it's Halfords now, not sure, was originally something like an AA Autocentre. Anyway I've been going there for years and they're brilliant. Never find anything extra and once when something they'd fixed went wrong a year or so later, and just outside the guarantee, they fixed it for a nominal charge.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Had my biggest rip off experience ever at Kwik Fit. Ended costing me £400+ to get an exhaust replaced where only the tailpipe section needed replacing. Obviously the Kwik Fit special inspection informed me the rest was far too rusty to touch (surprised I did not need my brake pads and wheels replaced as well). It was due to the Kwikness that I ended up there as I needed to get somewhere by the afternoon. But never again. It was interesting sitting in the waiting room watching the amount of people who came in and got ended up with a lot more repairs than they were expecting

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
wife had a new tyre put on a few years ago,we drove along sussex pad hotel lancing,then veared to the left after a massive noise,called AA,they couldnt beleive they hadnt tightened the wheel and it was just loose,the bloke that did it got sacked,and i had the 360quid bill wiped out as long as i didnt go to the press

They did exactly the same to me many years ago and I drove all the way to fookin Plymouth with the car making a rumbling sound and pulling to one side every time I braked. When I parked up in Plymouth I found 3 out of 4 wheel nuts on the front nearside loose!!! I was not happy but was rejoining my ship (in the Navy at the time) and going away on deployment for a few weeks so never followed it up. Never used them again and never would.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Yeah Kwik Fit are dodgy. We go local now.
As a family of four all drivers and 3 cars we use a local garage and after a while you build a sense of trust,you get to know 'Paul'
in the workshop (you get my drift) and your car passes its MoT and a week or two later you see 'Paul' waiting with you at the bar and you chat 'he know's you and you know him' and you often get this 'hows the car' ? Fine. Ok but watch it does not start to pull to the LEFT 'i PASSED IT BUT THE BEARINGS ARE STARTING TO GO' drop it in soon.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Had my biggest rip off experience ever at Kwik Fit. Ended costing me £400+ to get an exhaust replaced where only the tailpipe section needed replacing. Obviously the Kwik Fit special inspection informed me the rest was far too rusty to touch (surprised I did not need my brake pads and wheels replaced as well). It was due to the Kwikness that I ended up there as I needed to get somewhere by the afternoon. But never again. It was interesting sitting in the waiting room watching the amount of people who came in and got ended up with a lot more repairs than they were expecting

January this Mrs LBG Fiat Punto 'Backbox' went £55 fee and job done in 30 mins.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Also got ripped off by kwik fit many years ago. Said they'd sorted out a problem with the head gasket and charged me a few hundred. The problems resumed a few days later so I took it to a Renault dealer who said no work had been carried out on said gasket. Spoke to the regional boss at kwik fit who apologised, said the mechanic had since left and agreed to pay the dealers costs of about £800! I would never go back to kwik fit

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
Fields Tyres in St. Josephs close (by Homebase) . They used to be in Francis St before relocating for the Open Market redevelopment , you will struggle to find a more professional outfit in my humble . (well as far as tyres go)
Just MOT's on the Bell Tower for your mot , they dont do repairs so no need to find any fault "that's not there" if you get my drift !

May 26, 2004
Hassocks
I highly reccommend ALLRIGHT TYRES in Burgess Hill - on the London Road just by the Londis store - for tyres. And my neighbour is a mobile mechanic - he does servicing and MOT all in one visit for me. Having a professional take your car for it's MOT means that the garage isn't going to find something amiss that isn't amiss.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
They held my car hostage a couple of years ago as they were "waiting for a part". Turns out the slice of a manager ordered the wrong part. Wouldn't be a problem but I live on Shoreham Beach; you really need wheels living there.
Kwik Fit, Shoreham, never again.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
I remember taking my car to National Tyres for 2 news tyres. After they had fitted them and I was ready to go I thought that I'd better check, they'd only gone and put them on with the wrong rotational direction.

A different time I also had a blown exhaust, after taking it into (the same) National Tyres, they asked me to return in 30 mins as they were busy, a fair enough request. On my return they said the different parts of the exhaust were stuck together and they tried everything to separate them but couldn't, therefore I'd have to pay full a complete new exhaust.

They had fitted the current exhaust only a couple of years ago and after I'd shown them 3 three year guarantee they somehow miraculously managed to separate the exhaust sections so only need to replace the blown part.

Bunch of bloody criminals. I later heard that head office sent down one of their hit squads to sort the place out, I understand a few rollickings were also given. I got speaking to the garage opposite them (when something else was being done on my car) and they were telling me the blokes 'working' in National Tyres always had their mates there so they could work in the their cars all day.

I now take my car to an independent garage just on the corner of my road and get a fantastic service.

These issues were a few years ago at the Folkestone branch of National Tyres.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here