Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers axed!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Argus:

Albion caretaker manager Dean Wilkins could axe some of his most experienced players at Yeovil tonight.

Goalkeeper Michel Kuipers and defenders Georges Santos and Kerry Mayo are all at risk as Wilkins sweats over the results of a scan on Paul Reid's knee injury and a virus threatening to sweep through the camp.

Wayne Henderson is likely to be back between the posts following Kuipers' uncertain performance in Saturday's 3-1 defeat at Carlisle, where Santos was substituted at half-time.

Mayo's leftback spot is also under threat from youngster Sam Rents, who came on in the closing stages at Brunton Park.

Reid had a scan yesterday on suspected right knee ligament damage, sustained in the first half at Carlisle.

Richard Carpenter has shaken off a virus which delayed his return from a three-match ban and Adam El-Abd has recovered from a swollen ankle but Guy Butters has now joined Jake Robinson on the sick list.

Wilkins said: "Just fingers crossed nobody else gets it. We've got enough players and quality around the place to shuffle things around.

"We had a great session yesterday morning, I think we've prepared fantastically well, we've got a plan in place and the players cannot wait to get out there and put it into practise.

"They let themselves down slightly at Carlisle and didn't work to the plan as they should have.

"We have to make sure it is a blip and not something that continues."

Kuipers will be back in goal for Blackpool's televised visit on Sunday week, when Henderson is on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.

It seems odd to axe Santos with Reid an injury doubt. I suppose Tommy Fraser can play center back. I imagine depends on Reid's fitness. If fit, El-Abd center back, if not, Santos keeps his place. Knee ligaments sounds bad though. So I'm guessing Santos will start.

ALBION: Henderson; El-Abd, Santos, Lynch, Rents; Hammond, Carpenter, Cox; Revell, Hart, Frutos. Subs: Kuipers, Mayo, Fraser, Loft, Molango.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
If we assume Guy is ill, but Jake & El-Abd are okay I would like to see:

Henderson
Hart, El-Abd, Lynch, Rents
Cox, Carpenter, Fraser, Hammond
Revell, Jake

Ahhh, Hart at right back. That would make the Santos axing logical.

I'm presuming Jake isn't well.

Henderson
Hammond, Carpenter, Fraser
Cox, Revell, Frutos

Stumpy Tim

Turkey said:
Ahhh, Hart at right back. That would make the Santos axing logical.

I'm presuming Jake isn't well.

Henderson
Hammond, Carpenter, Fraser
Cox, Revell, Frutos

They're saying Jake is fine on Seagulls World. If he's ill, I would put Hammond up-front & Frutos on the left

Good to see Hendo back but losing Reid is a huge blow. The threadbare depth of our squad seems more on show than ever for this game, and the last thing we need is a damn virus :(

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Seems strange to drop Kuipers, but hendo has a good chance to redeem himself. Shame about Riedy, he has been one of the better players for us this season.

D

Deleted User X18H

Inside the back page of the Argus it suggests Revell and ...............................MOLANGO :ohmy: :ohmy: up front.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
After shipping 6 goals in 2 games I think Hendo had to come back in.
Be interesting to see the other changes though. Could be Molango's last chance to prove himself.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
nearly a youth team .

Hendo has a chance to prove himself.

Molango again , jeez ,

Need to get this managers position sorted quick smart Dick Knight so we can sign some players .

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Dougal said:
nearly a youth team .

Hendo has a chance to prove himself.

Molango again , jeez ,

Need to get this managers position sorted quick smart Dick Knight so we can sign some players .

I feel this plea will fall on deaf ears as we stumble through the season - on the back of a 4-1 win over Orient. bit like Sven living off the 5-1 victory over the Germans.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I like the fact he is not afraid, it would seem, of axing any player who does not perform.

McGhee always seemed to have four or five who would play regardless of form.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
As i've been repeated saying for the last 3 seasons or so- kuipers should be given a free and got shot of.

HAD HIS DAY

Shipped god knows how many at a lower level with Boston

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Richie Morris said:
I like the fact he is not afraid, it would seem, of axing any player who does not perform.

McGhee always seemed to have four or five who would play regardless of form.

You know I agree with you. I got the feeling that two or three players were "comfortable" under Magoo.

I prefer Kuipers but if he is out of form then there is no reason why Henderson shoud not be back quite frankly.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting to see that Wilkins believes in giving people a long run in the team to get their confidence up

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Goring Gull said:
I feel this plea will fall on deaf ears as we stumble through the season - on the back of a 4-1 win over Orient. bit like Sven living off the 5-1 victory over the Germans.
It is worth remembering we've only lost one league game (and that was our longest away trip against in-form Carlise) and on another day would have knocked out a team from the division above from the League cup.

So lets not jump to conclusions after 4 or 5 matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here