Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Krept and Konan - official England track

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
And you think the F.A didn’t realise these songs existed before they asked them to write the official song for the England Team?

I suspect the FA are complete idiots. Make of that what you will.

It’s much more likely though that they’ve seen that people are still booing the knee & have decided that maybe releasing a song by two young black Muslims may not be the smartest move in the current political climate.

Notwithstanding any other issues being discussed here, I think most people who haven't had their brains surgically replaced with dried cow pat would recognise that this is the perfect time to release a song by two young black Muslims.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I'm sorry, but are you saying that there are racist overtones when the artists in question use the word? I'm not entirely comfortable with it either but it's not my place to start policing its use. The fact that it is used so liberally in music is why my students in Spain and elsewhere feel it's a legitimate bit of vocab; hence my mentioning of it. It's an unfortunate side effect of its reclamation. I don't think I need to explain the hows and whys of reclaiming the word.

By all means, go after K&K for the sexist lyrics but the other angle is tenuous.

Oh, I see........it’s being reclaimed.

If I understand the n-word reclaim policy correctly it means black rappers, black gangsta wannabes and their supporters can use the n-word in any context and as frequently as possible without any societal implications whatsoever. They can say it regularly in music and still be at the forefront of anti racism campaigns in the U.K.

If a school teacher uses the word in a class to explain to pupils that it is not the way to pronounce NIGER, the matter is then a grave offence requiring the school authorities to apologising to it’s pupils and their parents whilst launching an investigation into the matter.

Have I missed anything?.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Oh, I see........it’s being reclaimed.

If I understand the n-word reclaim policy correctly it means black rappers, black gangsta wannabes and their supporters can use the n-word in any context and as frequently as possible without any societal implications whatsoever. They can say it regularly in music and still be at the forefront of anti racism campaigns in the U.K.

If a school teacher uses the word in a class to explain to pupils that it is not the way to pronounce NIGER, the matter is then a grave offence requiring the school authorities to apologising to it’s pupils and their parents whilst launching an investigation into the matter.

Have I missed anything?.

I think you're missing quite a lot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I am assuming he/she means you can’t have it both ways - which I think is a fair enough comment . The word is either offensive or it isn’t .

With any word, I'd say the level offensiveness depends on a variety of factors. Context, co-text, the speaker, the listeners, to name a few. I'm sure you'd agree that a woman calling a female friend a bitch in a jokey way is a little different from man calling a woman a stupid bitch.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
With any word, I'd say the level offensiveness depends on a variety of factors. Context, co-text, the speaker, the listeners, to name a few. I'm sure you'd agree that a woman calling a female friend a bitch in a jokey way is a little different from man calling a woman a stupid bitch.

Well at least we are getting somewhere now.

The context of when the word was used by the teacher, was that it was NOT to be used by children as a way to pronounce NIGER. In a class of 13/14 year olds perhaps in his judgement he wanted to be unambiguous in that point. That did not stop the matter subsequently becoming a complaint and headline news.

The context of when K&K use the word is that it is liberally spread about their music, and i think they use it to emote credibility amongst their rapping peers in the U.K. and the US market, where I suspect terms like “Hoes” and “Feds” does not mean garden equipment and an shitty old DIY chain (spits on floor).

So there’s context, a teacher using the word to demonstrate its offensiveness to children and a couple of capitalists using the word to generate personal wealth.

I know which one of these should be under investigation.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Well at least we are getting somewhere now.

The context of when the word was used by the teacher, was that it was NOT to be used by children as a way to pronounce NIGER. In a class of 13/14 year olds perhaps in his judgement he wanted to be unambiguous in that point. That did not stop the matter subsequently becoming a complaint and headline news.

The context of when K&K use the word is that it is liberally spread about their music, and i think they use it to emote credibility amongst their rapping peers in the U.K. and the US market, where I suspect terms like “Hoes” and “Feds” does not mean garden equipment and an shitty old DIY chain (spits on floor).

So there’s context, a teacher using the word to demonstrate its offensiveness to children and a couple of capitalists using the word to generate personal wealth.

I know which one of these should be under investigation.

The teacher didn't need to say it. He was well-intentioned, perhaps, but misguided.

K&K's usage is more complicated imo. I don't feel it's my place to judge. I understand what gave rise to the reappropriation in the US (presumably, you are too) but am also sympathetic to those that call for it to be consigned to the history books. I remember a while back Chris Rock decided to drop a routine that heavily featured the word as he felt it legitimised its use.

You'd have to ask them what their motivations are. It wasn't something you heard in UK hip hop when I was really into it back in the late 90s/early 00s.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The teacher didn't need to say it. He was well-intentioned, perhaps, but misguided.

K&K's usage is more complicated imo. I don't feel it's my place to judge. I understand what gave rise to the reappropriation in the US (presumably, you are too) but am also sympathetic to those that call for it to be consigned to the history books. I remember a while back Chris Rock decided to drop a routine that heavily featured the word as he felt it legitimised its use.

You'd have to ask them what their motivations are. It wasn't something you heard in UK hip hop when I was really into it back in the late 90s/early 00s.

it is an Americanism.....let it remain so. Although NWA , Public Enemy , Cypress Hill , Snoop seemed to get by without it's wholesale use in their material ....gangsta rap is where it finds it's home , you need to have spent some time in the good ol' US of A to appreciate where it finds its roots.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For people who claim not to be racist at all, in no way shape or form whatsoever, there’s a few on here that spend an inordinate amount of time letting everyone know about the latest thing they disapprove of that black people/Muslims are doing or the latest anti-racist act they find intolerable. Seems odd for a non-racist to feel the need to repeat the same point about what they dislike about certain black people, endlessly in dozens and dozens of similar posts.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Coming soon :clap:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
it is an Americanism.....let it remain so. Although NWA , Public Enemy , Cypress Hill , Snoop seemed to get by without it's wholesale use in their material ....gangsta rap is where it finds it's home , you need to have spent some time in the good ol' US of A to appreciate where it finds its roots.

Plenty of rappers stateside get by without it just fine. The more conscious lyricists tend to shun it, as do the non-African Americans, generally.

You might want to listen to some Snoop and NWA again (emphasis on the N). The latter even had a track that explained why they use the word.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
For people who claim not to be racist at all, in no way shape or form whatsoever, there’s a few on here that spend an inordinate amount of time letting everyone know about the latest thing they disapprove of that black people/Muslims are doing or the latest anti-racist act they find intolerable. Seems odd for a non-racist to feel the need to repeat the same point about what they dislike about certain black people, endlessly in dozens and dozens of similar posts.

Bitches, all I hear is they keep bitching
Sideman, pick a side, man, stop switching
What is this? These n!ggas got me on the hit list........

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

People have already been warned about using the N word, whether it’s quoting or not. Just saying

And it’s refreshing to see one of you chaps admitting to being racist, or at least answering the call when accused.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

One of them has the N word in their name :)

But I get what you’re saying.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

Well, you seem to be prepared to judge a teacher as misguided for saying it once to a class with explicit reference to it being offensive, but not judge K&K.

That makes no sense to me given we live in times where people’s careers (like this teacher) can hang in the balance for a single indiscretion (if indeed it is an indiscretion).

This is in direct counterpoint to K&K who can a) use it indiscriminately and frivolously in their music plus, b) be celebrated by the virtuous anti racism campaigning FA and BBC and front the England team’s anthem.

If it is not a controversial term and society has no problem with its use, then let’s just move on and stop harassing teachers. if it is controversial then let’s continue to call it the n-word in polite society. That doesn’t stop rappers using it in their shallow ditties celebrating sexism, racist stereotypes and finding words that rhyme with Versace.

What is to be........I would let black people make the call, then we can move on from teachers potentially losing their livelihoods.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
People have already been warned about using the N word, whether it’s quoting or not. Just saying

And it’s refreshing to see one of you chaps admitting to being racist, or at least answering the call when accused.

You're a rat, you don't flip and stack, you're just chief
You're lying, it's written all over
You ain't the gyaldem sugar, you're the gyaldem chauffeur
You're the gyaldem's joker
She's sitting on your face, you're the gyaldem's sofa
(Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I still think shouting POO BUM WILLY very loudly would get you more attention with your target audience (and possibly, look less desperate) :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here