Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight talking out of his arse

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Repugnant Toad said:
Aging though they may be, I'd call Rodger and Blackwell established "tier two" players; the latter in particular could have gone on for years if he hadn't picked up the injury he did. Plus, Ingimarsson, although of course he was only on loan, also Roberts.

It's not an extensive list, I'll grant you, but there is some precedent there.
But in the present context, it's strikers we're looking at here, a much rarer breed.

Repugnant Toad said:
Aging though they may be, I'd call Rodger and Blackwell established "tier two" players; the latter in particular could have gone on for years if he hadn't picked up the injury he did. Plus, Ingimarsson, although of course he was only on loan, also Roberts.

No precedent whatsoever.

Blackwell and Rodger both ageing players on their last contracts like Guy Butters and Jason Dodd. Blackwell was almost 34 when his terrible injury happened - please compare with GNW's age. Roberts, fantastic keeper, but an utter crock with very little games per season across his career, hence his low valuation. Ingimarsson, like McShane and Sidwell, fine loan players, but not ours.

You'll have to to better than that. My point stands.

We have not signed an established tier 2 player (say, 2 or 3 seasons of acheivement like GNW) in the prime of his career (say mid to late 20s).

If we had signed GNW, it would have been a first for our club under Dick Knight.

It was never going to happen unless GNW took some kind of bizarre decision to undervalue himself. And why should he? He can sit on his arse in the Burnley Reserves for the next 18 months earning roughly £300k to £400k if he wants or find a mug club like Millwall to do it while he plays in League 1.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Repugnant Toad said:

Both Rodger and Blackwell had spent some time out of the game injured before they joined us - the latter's last game before joining us was for Wimbledon on 20 January 2001 - therefore we were prepared to gamble where other clubs could not have been bothered.

I'm presuming you mean Rodger regarding the injury in your first sentence.

Bromley shrimp said:
3 Excellent well made points Berkshire.

Just checking, I haven't wandered into the "Things you will NEVER hear an ALBION fan say!" thread by mistake, have I?

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Jim in the West said:
What bugs me reading all this is that a large number of people appear to believe we have a God-given right to be told every last detail of the club's financial affairs. We have one of the most open & honest regimes of any club in the league, and yet STILL some folks on here want to whinge and moan.

I presented 2 fundmental alternatives in the hope that I might be enlightened as to the plight of the club by someone with more of a grasp. Silence has prevailed in this regard. These are by no stretch details of the financial affairs.

Bromley shrimp said:
I presented 2 fundmental alternatives in the hope that I might be enlightened as to the plight of the club by someone with more of a grasp. Silence has prevailed in this regard. These are by no stretch details of the financial affairs.

Your two alternatives have been discussed endlessly on this board, over and over and over again. Don't mistake silence for a lack of enthusiasm to go over the same old ground constantly. Use the search facility - Virgo money, annual accounts, etc. Threads started by Ben's Grandad is usually another winner.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
The Large One said:
1. No, Falmer is the bag. Pay attention.
2. And where do you think that money goes? Stop and think before shooting your mouth off.
6. Fund a player scheme isn't run by the club.
7. No he doesn't. If a manager wants to go, he sends them on their way. I told you that yesterday. Do keep up.

As for the last paragraph, what is your alternative? And for once, can we have an answer from the real world?
I respect you for attempting to challenge me:rolleyes:

O.k then large one,so the letters we all received i.e raffles to raise money are also not done by the club? ???

Falmer isn't in the bag though is it,yes it still looks good,but if we keep getting delays year after year we would end up folding at this rate.

three key points are what makes this club debatable:glare:

1, 10 years homless

2, more debts than ever before???

3,potless

You can't argue with these facts,the zamora money and the virgo money would pay for the falmer campaign alone:ohmy:

Then you look at all the other income such as harding,coppell etc etc,plus quiet a few sky games.My point is if we had never sold these players would knight have forked out these millions?

Knight hasn't paid for falmer nor has the board,they don't even fork out much at all thinking of it:(

How much have the board forked out of there own pockets in 6 years or so?

Put anything on the fatboy slim has done more:rolleyes:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BS.

We are running at a loss every week!!

We lost over £1m last season and that was including the Virgo transfer.

We have spent £2.5m bringing Withdean upto the required standard of the football league. Coupled with the £3m spent on the planning application and appeal.

Did you conveniently forget we have spent £5.5m alone on two projects?

Plus we rent the stadium. Ecovert charged a kings ransom.

In your eyes, what has DK done wrong?

Last edited:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
BarrelofFun said:
BS.

We are running at a loss every week!!

We lost over £1m last season and that was including the Virgo transfer.

We have spent £2.5m bringing Withdean upto the required standard of the football league. Coupled with the £3m spent on the planning application and appeal.

Did you conveniently forget we have spent £5.5m alone on two projects?

Plus we rent the stadium. Ecovert charged a kings ransom.

In your eyes, what has DK done wrong?
He runs the club on a shoe string thats the prob,i know the losses etc.Thats because our board have no money and has relied on the sale of players etc to get them out of the sh-t.

Yes we have spent 2.5 million on the withdean,but thats over 6 years or so.Debts are mounting thick and fast,the board have got lucky in the sale of players for large amounts,but that won't always happen will it.

You can't run a club on a shoe string budget with our facilities,if you really think fans won't get frustrated after so much crap you are so so wrong.The fans have turned there back on the withdean.That will make things even worse,yet you can't blame the fans can you?

:smokin:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
berkshire seagull said:
He runs the club on a shoe string thats the prob,i know the losses etc.Thats because our board have no money and has relied on the sale of players etc to get them out of the sh-t.

Yes we have spent 2.5 million on the withdean,but thats over 6 years or so.Debts are mounting thick and fast,the board have got lucky in the sale of players for large amounts,but that won't always happen will it.

You can't run a club on a shoe string budget with our facilities,if you really think fans won't get frustrated after so much crap you are so so wrong.The fans have turned there back on the withdean.That will make things even worse,yet you can't blame the fans can you?

Bold quote - The club makes a loss, because the board have no money??? The reasoning is lost on me there.

The club is run on a shoe string budget because it is not possible to make any money from the club, due to the stadium!!

No, you can't blame the fans. You can blame the planning system, Archer, LDC and Falmer Parish council.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
berkshire seagull said:

O.k then large one,so the letters we all received i.e raffles to raise money are also not done by the club? ???

Falmer isn't in the bag though is it,yes it still looks good,but if we keep getting delays year after year we would end up folding at this rate.

1, 10 years homless

3,potless

You can't argue with these facts,the zamora money and the virgo money would pay for the falmer campaign alone:ohmy:

Then you look at all the other income such as harding,coppell etc etc,plus quiet a few sky games.My point is if we had never sold these players would knight have forked out these millions?

Knight hasn't paid for falmer nor has the board,they don't even fork out much at all thinking of it:(

1. I was only talking about the Forty Notes Fund. That is run on donations only, and not by the club. There are no prizes like the raffles, 'Legends' etc. If the club didn't run these, people would be screaming that we are missing a trick.

2. 10 years homeless. Nine actually, but well spotted. Clearly, you have been in a coma in that time and need updating as to why we have not moved into our new stadium yet. Don't got down the Ben's Grandad route of assuming that a board with a stinking great bid wad of cash would have got us in sooner. They wouldn't. If you keep up with events, you'll know why it's folly to blame the board.

3. More debts than ever before? Says whom? Even if it were the case, you could understand why? The likes of you not coming to games is one of those contributing factors. So have a good hard look at yourself before you shout your mouth off.

4. Potless? If that were the case, we would not be a allowed to be trading. Yet, somehow we are. Amazing that isn't it?

5. The income the club has received over the past 9 years has gone on a whole host of expenditure. For instance, there's the cost of planning permission for Withdean, rebuildiing Withdean, paying for the Falmer planning and inquiries, salaries of the players, office staff and shop staff, agents' fees, contracts, health insurance, transfers, continuous upgrading of the ground, transport to away games, including overnight hotel bills, paying off Bill Archer, marketing, printing, rent, rates, lighting, heating, corporate hospitality, bus and train costs as part of your match ticket (somethin you wouldn't know about) stewards, policing, Ecovert, groundstaff...

Fatboy Slim has put seven figure sums in, so has Derek Chapman and Dick Knight himself. But the club must ultimately be self-financing. Unfortunately, one of its primarry sources of revenue is badly curtailed by playing at Withdean, and one of it main expenditures shows little sign of abating for the time being.

So if you really want something positive to come out of this, get off your soap box, stop f***ing moaning, put your hand in your pocket, and help the club. If that is beyond you, your right to complain is seriously diminished.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
berkshire seagull said:

1, 10 years homless

3,potless

I've read this thread from start to finish and you sir have spoken utter shit.

Ten years homless. Yep, but whose fault is that. Maybe point the blame at the previous board for selling the Goldstone and Falmer Parish and LDC for trying to derail Falmer

More debts than ever before. Probably. Maybe due to the fact that again we have the finances of a league 1 club, whilst trying operate in the Championship. Your advice in splashing the cash would be to increase that debt.

Potless? Makes me wonder if you are indeed a fan. 2 championships and a play off trophy in recent seasons.

If indeed you want to splash the cash (without bankrupting us)can you tell me where the money is coming from?

DK is not a wealthy man, so he cant dig into his pockets

The finances of withdean simply means we operate as a league 1 club.

Another chairman/board/benefactor. Where are they?

I can tell you what would have happened if Virgo/Harding/Cullip/Currie weren't sold. We would have gone under.

The point is, the finances of this club mean we operate at league 1 standard. We are punching above our weight. Yes more than likely we are heading back to that level. So bleedin what. Its not nice, but I'll accept it as long as Falmer becomes a reality.

Only when Falmer comes along can we a) operate at a financial level akin to Championship level and so attract players of that leagues calibra and b) be a worthy place for up and coming players and more importantly see a future with us.

I'm just so glad that we have DK on board and not someone of your mentality. I really do seriously wonder about your intelligence

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
DIFFBROOK said:

Ten years homless. Yep, but whose fault is that. Maybe point the blame at the previous board for selling the Goldstone and Falmer Parish and LDC for trying to derail Falmer

More debts than ever before. Probably. Maybe due to the fact that again we have the finances of a league 1 club, whilst trying operate in the Championship. Your advice in splashing the cash would be to increase that debt.

Potless? Makes me wonder if you are indeed a fan. 2 championships and a play off trophy in recent seasons.

If indeed you want to splash the cash (without bankrupting us)can you tell me where the money is coming from?

I can tell you what would have happened if Virgo/Harding/Cullip/Currie weren't sold. We would have gone under.

The point is, the finances of this club mean we operate at league 1 standard. We are punching above our weight. Yes more than likely we are heading back to that level. So bleedin what. Its not nice, but I'll accept it as long as Falmer becomes a reality.

Only when Falmer comes along can we a) operate at a financial level akin to Championship level and so attract players of that leagues calibra and b) be a worthy place for up and coming players and more importantly see a future with us.

I'm just so glad that we have DK on board and not someone of your mentality. I really do seriously wonder about your intelligence
Couldn't agree more. DK may not be the perfect chairman but I think has has been above board wherever he can all the time he has been chairman. Still it seems that there are plenty of fools out there who want him to risk the future of the club for the chance of staying one more year in the championship. Me - I'd rather have a club that's still around for me to take my kids to.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
DIFFBROOK said:

You just hit the nail on the head,we would have gone under,so was archer and bellotti much diffrent,bellotti and archer never sold players for 1-1.5 million did they?
Not taken into affect they where both cu-nts???
Yes two championships etc,that in my view is down to mickey adams,dick employed him yes,but do you think dick exspected this much success with sod all funds available to adams(i think not) fact is you like many of your cliques on here think dick and the board are gods:O

Did dick really do his homework about the withdean and its costs?

Im just looking at a clear picture of the last 9 years in which you don't see,the truth is clear to see regardless of what you see.You can blame king kong or superman,but the facts speak for themselves.

This must be the longest running saga in football history,so something certainly must be wrong??? you will say the council,the lack of land etc,which is always the case mmmmm.

:cool:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Spiros said:
Couldn't agree more. DK may not be the perfect chairman but I think has has been above board wherever he can all the time he has been chairman. Still it seems that there are plenty of fools out there who want him to risk the future of the club for the chance of staying one more year in the championship. Me - I'd rather have a club that's still around for me to take my kids to.
At this rate your kids will be taking there kids???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
berkshire seagull said:
YThis must be the longest running saga in football history,so something certainly must be wrong??? you will say the council,the lack of land etc,which is always the case mmmmm.
Because that's the truth, fuckwit. Deal with it.

Face it, you haven't the first single clue what you're on about, yet you spout it anyway. You're just too plain f***ing weird for words.

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
berkshire seagull said:
At this rate your kids will be taking there kids???
Maybe, but it's the planning system and the opponents to Falmer that are slowing things down, not DK. At least if the club's being run the DK way it will still exist. If we splash the cash like some on here want then we'll disappear in no time under a mountain of debt - which is just what LDC want.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
The Large One said:
1. I was only talking about the Forty Notes Fund. That is run on donations only, and not by the club. There are no prizes like the raffles, 'Legends' etc. If the club didn't run these, people would be screaming that we are missing a trick.

2. 10 years homeless. Nine actually, but well spotted. Clearly, you have been in a coma in that time and need updating as to why we have not moved into our new stadium yet. Don't got down the Ben's Grandad route of assuming that a board with a stinking great bid wad of cash would have got us in sooner. They wouldn't. If you keep up with events, you'll know why it's folly to blame the board.

3. More debts than ever before? Says whom? Even if it were the case, you could understand why? The likes of you not coming to games is one of those contributing factors. So have a good hard look at yourself before you shout your mouth off.

4. Potless? If that were the case, we would not be a allowed to be trading. Yet, somehow we are. Amazing that isn't it?

5. The income the club has received over the past 9 years has gone on a whole host of expenditure. For instance, there's the cost of planning permission for Withdean, rebuildiing Withdean, paying for the Falmer planning and inquiries, salaries of the players, office staff and shop staff, agents' fees, contracts, health insurance, transfers, continuous upgrading of the ground, transport to away games, including overnight hotel bills, paying off Bill Archer, marketing, printing, rent, rates, lighting, heating, corporate hospitality, bus and train costs as part of your match ticket (somethin you wouldn't know about) stewards, policing, Ecovert, groundstaff...

Fatboy Slim has put seven figure sums in, so has Derek Chapman and Dick Knight himself. But the club must ultimately be self-financing. Unfortunately, one of its primarry sources of revenue is badly curtailed by playing at Withdean, and one of it main expenditures shows little sign of abating for the time being.

So if you really want something positive to come out of this, get off your soap box, stop f***ing moaning, put your hand in your pocket, and help the club. If that is beyond you, your right to complain is seriously diminished.
We can put our money in our pocket til the sun stops shining,it does nothing year after year???

Money does talk in football,if you can't see that then what can you see?

If people wanna moan then so be it,but to 12-13 years for a stadium,i find that bloody pathetic :censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here