Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
On McKenna, I'm not sure he was the Messiah that a lot of people think. A lot of Ipswich's wins last season seemed to come very late and to be inspired by Omari Hutchinson, who was a Chelsea loanee. They won't be able to rely on a repeat against better teams with more quality on the bench that can enable them to see games out.
Really? After promotion, they won 16 out of their first 21 games (losing just two of the other 5). They won 12 out of the remaining 25.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Is Marcelo Gallardo back in work yet? If not could he be a left field option?

I am not too bothered that we haven’t employed a young Ipswich manager who has no experience of any top flight management.
Gallardo's not yet out of work. Rumoured to be leaving his Saudi team, but not gone yet.

I'd agree about McKenna. He could be brilliant, but there are so many young managers who have has great success in the Football League who get eaten up and spat out by the ruthless and skewed competition of the EPL. Edwards and Kompany didn't get sacked last year, but both got relegated. Heckingbottom joined the list.

In the last ten years: Scott Parker twice, Steve Cooper, Daniel Farke, Xisco Munoz, Slaven Bilic, Marco Bielsa, Dean Smith, Chris Wilder, Neil Warnock, Slavisa Jokanovic, Chris Hughton, David Warner, Aitor Karanka & Alex Neil have all been sacked within two seasons of getting promoted and none have gone on to anything much of note. Only Frank, Dyche, Howe, Nuno and Benitez seemed to last the course for a bit. Only Howe and Nuno went on to manage teams contesting for European spots, both after gaining a few years of EPL experience. The latter didn't last five minutes at Tottenham.

I don't hold any special knowledge and McKenna could be great, but if he is, he will be an exception. Yes, he got the double promotion, but the last manager/physio to acheive that didn't last out the first season in the EPL, has been regularly sacked by teams lower and lower down the pyramid and is now in charge at League 2 Tranmere Rovers.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Still free after the Saudis gave him the tin.

Never coached in Europe. Would certainly be a wild card but might go down well with our South Americans?
It looks likes he's definitely gone then: https://www.breakinglatest.news/wor...assr-who-scored-twice-from-cristiano-ronaldo/

I've been checking for confirmation for a while now and it all seemed a bit murky. He was paper linked with AC Milan a couple of weeks ago. I don't know whether we did ever talk to him when he was linked last time around. I don't know whether I've been fooled by the internet puff pieces written about his time at River Plate, but his style suits us and he has spoken specifically about having to adapt each time star players are bought by richer clubs. To me he just seems right up our street.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It looks likes he's definitely gone then: https://www.breakinglatest.news/wor...assr-who-scored-twice-from-cristiano-ronaldo/

I've been checking for confirmation for a while now and it all seemed a bit murky. He was paper linked with AC Milan a couple of weeks ago. I don't know whether we did ever talk to him when he was linked last time around. I don't know whether I've been fooled by the internet puff pieces written about his time at River Plate, but his style suits us and he has spoken specifically about having to adapt each time star players are bought by richer clubs. To me he just seems right up our street.

Think he's on at least 10 Milly A year there !!! Probably not gonna happen

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Is there a chance this is agent talk to try and improve our offer? I personally think we should move on if he's not that into us. He'd probably be gone in a year if he did remotely well with us anyway. Same as with Ipswich.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pochettino just left Chelsea for much the same reason that RDZ left us. He wouldn't want to work with our model.

Don't think Poch would consider us.
Pochettino met the club, and had a tour of the training ground in the 9 days between Potter's departure and RDZ's appointment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've been vultures for years, signing wonderkid youngsters from clubs all over the world.

One could even argue that when we signed Potter from Swansea that's a bit "big club comes knocking".

It's the nature of the beast :shrug:
None of that really the same as going in for a just promoted manager - that’s quite rare. Swansea weren’t promoted when we went in for Potter.

If it’s ’the nature of the beast’ - why was there such upset at Potter leaving? :shrug:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Pochettino met the club, and had a tour of the training ground in the 9 days between Potter's departure and RDZ's appointment.
Really? He’d be my first choice but unless he feels he has a point to prove and stability whilst not being booed by his own fans it might just appeal, otherwise it’s not happening.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really? He’d be my first choice but unless he feels he has a point to prove and stability whilst not being booed by his own fans it might just appeal, otherwise it’s not happening.
So I was told at the time, by somebody I'd trust to believe it to be true.

But no - personally I thought him taking the job was very unlikely - both then - and now.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
None of that really the same as going in for a just promoted manager - that’s quite rare. Swansea weren’t promoted when we went in for Potter.

If it’s ’the nature of the beast’ - why was there such upset at Potter leaving? :shrug:
Because people were/still are sad/angry.

People have more emotions than they have thoughts. No one is soberly looking at this lad taking a job, to secure the future safety and well-being of him and his family, and then continue thinking "HE IS EVIL!!! TRAITOR!!!", because everyone would do the same thing regardless if they're willing to admit it or not.

The upsetness doesn't originate from some kind of cold calculated analysis. Its all hormones.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Internal promotion …. Guy from Fulham whose name escapes me!

You're thinking of Mike Cave, he is Assistant Technical Director, deputy to Weir. His entire background is Fulham Academy (performance - development - manager - director), NOT recruitment!

He is currently covering, but certainly no way a replacement.

Screenshot_20240528-130549~2.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We are both set up to allow managers less control over signings than both RDZ and Pochettino would like.

I don't think Poch is a realistic option but I think the 'control over signings' thing is very different between us and Chelsea. I've always understood that here, the coach identifies areas/types of players for strengthening the squad/team and also gets some input at the front and end of the process (suggestions for players). Then, at the back end, when the recruitment team have done their stuff, I thought they are party to signing off the choice of player from what the recruitment team have selected.

I always got the impression at Chelsea that players just 'arrive' with no input from the coach. And the reported 'suggestions' offered to the coach on selection, tactics and dressing room briefings :wink:

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I'd wager some fans of the clubs we've plucked our exciting youngsters from would think us vultures, in those transactions we're the big club swooping in for their assets.

As for the Potter upset - for me personally it was more to do with him gutting the backroom on his way out. But more generally speaking - football fans are an emotional bunch. There's always going to be anger or sadness when someone moves on. We were basically dumped by our bearded girlfriend.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'd wager some fans of the clubs we've plucked our exciting youngsters from would think us vultures, in those transactions we're the big club swooping in for their assets.

As for the Potter upset - for me personally it was more to do with him gutting the backroom on his way out. But more generally speaking - football fans are an emotional bunch. There's always going to be anger or sadness when someone moves on. We were basically dumped by our bearded girlfriend.
Even on this bit though, he didn't gut the backroom team. He took with him two staff, Bruno and Roberts. All of the rest were staff he brought with him to Brighton in the first place and you expect to leave with him.

My issue was more that those two chose to leave rather than with him for bringing them, and even with Bruno, he wasn't guaranteed a job under RDZ who brought about 15 coaches with him...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here