KP

• Good Decision - He will save English cricket

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Bad Decision - Selectors are mental

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Fence - Have to wait and see how it unfolds

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters

I thought earlier that it would be around post 65 before someone raised this, even with Collingwood managing to get himself suspended for breaking the rules (twice) and now seeming to admit that the captaincy was too much for him.
Be interesting to see if anyone who posted prior to you has ever captained a club team for a season? Still, at least KP, or whoever, won't have to organise the tea.

Collingwood did not break the rules twice, the team did. Its just that the captain has to take sole responsibilty for the over rate.

I think he's the best captain we have. He's inspirational, and will lead from the front. Hopefully our other players will learn something from him. Plus, the 'tactics' people refer to aren't solely down to him. He'll have the coach, selectors, and other players to consult, so I don't see him being some sort of tactical disaster.

The ONLY problem with it him being captain is that it might ruin the form of our only truly class batsman. That's why I wasn't overly keen, but it's up to him to prove he can captain AND bat well.

Good luck KP:clap:

and I don't see KP as a consultative captain - I haven't seen much evidence of him calling on others for their opinions...........

But I have seen lots of evidence iof him giving others the benefit of his

No one knows what sort of a captain he'll be. He's NEVER captained any side he's played in before so this really is a bit of a wild card.

Except for this ENGLAND side at Lord's. Which I seem to remember sitting thorugh..............:D:D

England innings (target: 267 runs from 50 overs)
IR Bell lbw b Gillespie 27
AN Cook c McCullum b Southee 24
KP Pietersen* c Oram b Southee 6
RS Bopara b Vettori 30
OA Shah c sub (JAH Marshall) b Southee 69
LJ Wright b Vettori 6
TR Ambrose c sub (JAH Marshall) b Vettori 2
GP Swann c McCullum b Mills 12
SCJ Broad c Flynn b Mills 5
RJ Sidebottom not out 10
JM Anderson c Oram b Gillespie 2
Extras (b 1, lb 10, w 10, nb 1) 22

Total (all out; 47.5 overs) 215 (4.49 runs per over)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No one knows what sort of a captain he'll be. He's NEVER captained any side he's played in before so this really is a bit of a wild card.

f,

Well HE HAS captained the England ONE day side in THEIR last match

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
and I don't see KP as a consultative captain - I haven't seen much evidence of him calling on others for their opinions...........

But I have seen lots of evidence iof him giving others the benefit of his

would you like some

"KP is like a sponge," said Fletcher's former assistant Matthew Maynard. "Always soaking up information and never resting on his laurels."

Collingwood did not break the rules twice, the team did. Its just that the captain has to take sole responsibilty for the over rate.

I stand corrected. However, my personal view is that it is part of the Captain's role to ensure that the overs are bowled in good time and he has the opportunity/authority to change bowler(s) if their rate is too slow.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bad choice........ "Gifted " captains rarely come off.. look up the records as captain for Botham, Gower and Flinthoff and be surprised.:shootself

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not convinced by this really. Its like in the last Ashes when England went for Flintoff as captain over Strauss. It is what they would consider the popular choice but I am not sure it is. Pietersen is a great player but great players often don't make great captains e.g. Botham, Flintoff etc.

I would have gone for Strauss now but the problem is he is not guaranteed a place.

and will Vaughan ever come back.....

There's no prospect of the pressure letting up on Vaughan any time soon, however. "You've just got to deliver out in the middle," he said. "I am an experienced player and at the minute I am not delivering, so I will have to come up with a formula to give myself the best chance to deliver when the pressure is on. I've done it before, and I'm sure I'll do it again.
"I'm prepared to do anything to benefit the team, but I've got to get back to playing well and get back to the standard I've set myself. At the minute I'm not at that standard."
(On August 2)

Ravi Bopara has been brought in to take Vaughan's spot as batsman for the fourth Test at The Oval, a dead rubber which begins on Thursday. Vaughan has chosen to take a break from cricket and with South Africa already having sealed the series, it will be a good opportunity for Bopara - who has three Tests to his name - to try to shine.
(On August 4)

would you like some

"KP is like a sponge," said Fletcher's former assistant Matthew Maynard. "Always soaking up information and never resting on his laurels."

well agnew seems to disagree with you

BBC SPORT | Test Match Special Blog

and Smith doesn't think it is a good idea ....

South Africa captain Graeme Smith has warned the England and Wales Cricket Board that it could be making a big mistake by appointing Kevin Pietersen captain.

Smith said last night: "KP will always get you runs as a player. But I think the captaincy might curb his flair as a player. And you've got to look at who will make a difference in the dressing room.

"I thought they might appoint a younger bloke, like Alastair Cook, and build him up. That's what happened with me."

I think I would rather have Rob Key in the side than Bopara

Cherry-cheeked Kent batsman Robert Key had been marked down for great things - not least by headline-writers spotting an easy pun a mile off - since he helped England win the Under-19 World Cup in South Africa early in 1998. His trademark shot is a back-foot biff through the covers, while his off-drive on the front foot pleases the purists too. For a while his waistline expanded along with his burgeoning batting reputation, and he was 16 stone and counting before Alec Stewart had a quiet word. Over 1000 runs for Kent in 2001 were followed by a winter under Rod Marsh at the Academy in Adelaide. Key came back even leaner and hungrier, and more runs propelled him past Ian Bell - previously touted as the Next Big Thing - into the England side after Marcus Trescothick's broken thumb and Graham Thorpe's broken heart created a vacancy or two. A couple of gutsy innings followed in Australia, although he displayed a worrying propensity for getting out when seemingly set, especially just after a break in play. But in 2004, he burst back into the limelight, scoring 1000 first-class runs by the second day of June, and cracking a magnificent 221 against West Indies at Lord's, in his first Test appearance for over a year. The jury, however, was still out after a hit-and-miss winter in South Africa in 2004-05, when his culpable shot-selection in defeat at Cape Town was offset by an important half-century in the series-clinching victory at Johannesburg. He was appointed Kent's captain for the 2006 season, a role he took on "to enhance, not hamper" his career, and as captain of the England A team that took on the Sri Lankan and Pakistani tourists, it was clear he remained in the selectors' thoughts. This was confirmed when he was named in the Academy squad to be based in Perth during the winter's Ashes series, and in 2007 his one-day game, a self-confessed weakness, came to fruition as he led Kent to a memorable Twenty20 Cup triumph at Edgbaston. Come the 2008 season he was champing at the bit for a Test recall, as demonstrated by an unbeaten 178 for Kent against the New Zealand tourists, a performance that earned him the captaincy of the England Lions.
Steven Lynch (May 2008)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think I would rather have Rob Key in the side than Bopara

Cherry-cheeked Kent batsman Robert Key had been marked down for great things - not least by headline-writers spotting an easy pun a mile off - since he helped England win the Under-19 World Cup in South Africa early in 1998. His trademark shot is a back-foot biff through the covers, while his off-drive on the front foot pleases the purists too. For a while his waistline expanded along with his burgeoning batting reputation, and he was 16 stone and counting before Alec Stewart had a quiet word. Over 1000 runs for Kent in 2001 were followed by a winter under Rod Marsh at the Academy in Adelaide. Key came back even leaner and hungrier, and more runs propelled him past Ian Bell - previously touted as the Next Big Thing - into the England side after Marcus Trescothick's broken thumb and Graham Thorpe's broken heart created a vacancy or two. A couple of gutsy innings followed in Australia, although he displayed a worrying propensity for getting out when seemingly set, especially just after a break in play. But in 2004, he burst back into the limelight, scoring 1000 first-class runs by the second day of June, and cracking a magnificent 221 against West Indies at Lord's, in his first Test appearance for over a year. The jury, however, was still out after a hit-and-miss winter in South Africa in 2004-05, when his culpable shot-selection in defeat at Cape Town was offset by an important half-century in the series-clinching victory at Johannesburg. He was appointed Kent's captain for the 2006 season, a role he took on "to enhance, not hamper" his career, and as captain of the England A team that took on the Sri Lankan and Pakistani tourists, it was clear he remained in the selectors' thoughts. This was confirmed when he was named in the Academy squad to be based in Perth during the winter's Ashes series, and in 2007 his one-day game, a self-confessed weakness, came to fruition as he led Kent to a memorable Twenty20 Cup triumph at Edgbaston. Come the 2008 season he was champing at the bit for a Test recall, as demonstrated by an unbeaten 178 for Kent against the New Zealand tourists, a performance that earned him the captaincy of the England Lions.
Steven Lynch (May 2008)

The trouble is, he has had a run in the side and not done enough.

Shah is the one that has been harshly over looked time and again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rarely maybe, but not never... Ricky Ponting?

Ricky Ponting is my point entirely. He is limpet like as a batsman, he is not an explosive player who will cane a bowler for 14 runs in a over but an accumulator. Can you see Ponting trying to loft someone for 6 over long on when he is on 94 when and Australia are effectively 140 for 4 ?

He is a good leader and thats the point......the Aussies had Hayden and langer and Gilchrist to do the big hitting

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
well agnew seems to disagree with you

BBC SPORT | Test Match Special Blog

and Smith doesn't think it is a good idea ....

South Africa captain Graeme Smith has warned the England and Wales Cricket Board that it could be making a big mistake by appointing Kevin Pietersen captain.

Smith said last night: "KP will always get you runs as a player. But I think the captaincy might curb his flair as a player. And you've got to look at who will make a difference in the dressing room.

"I thought they might appoint a younger bloke, like Alastair Cook, and build him up. That's what happened with me."

Agnew's agreeing with Alec Stewart's rant which i thought was the most stupid things i've ever heard. In my mind anyone that chooses to lay all the blame on Pietersen for getting out on 94 deserves a shite cricket.

And Grame Smith is a fantastic cricketer , but a complete knob

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here