Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Fence - Have to wait and see how it unfolds

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
the best bastman in the world, but i dont know about captain, Vaughan was an immense captain, can Pieterson live up to him?.
Not even in the top 5 batsman in the world in my opinion. Time is right for a change, but pieterson is not the man, give it to either Collingwood or Strauss.
Number 8 (test batsman) according to the ICC rankings: http://www.iccreliancerankings.com/
Name Country
1 S. Chanderpaul WI
2 M.E.K. Hussey AUS
3 Mohammad Yousuf PAK
3 R.T. Ponting AUS
5 K.C. Sangakkara SL
6 D.P.M.D. Jayawardena SL
7 M.L. Hayden AUS
8 J.H. Kallis SA
8 K.P. Pietersen ENG
10 Younis Khan PAK

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think the stupid shot yesterday showed that he definetly doesnt have the right character to be england captain.

They should have made Strauss captain.
That'll be Andrew Strauss who also got out with a stupid shot then?? As did Cook and Bell.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Not sure about KP. As has already been said his batting will probably suffer with the extra responsibility.

I laughed when fat bob was mooted for the post but the more i think about it the more sense it makes

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure about KP. As has already been said his batting will probably suffer with the extra responsibility.

I laughed when fat bob was mooted for the post but the more i think about it the more sense it makes

But it does not make any sense even bringing Key back. His batting is not that great, at best he is flat track bully, his test average is not brilliant and is bumped up by a double century against the Windies.

I have no idea why people seem to think he is a brilliant captain, yet Kent have been decent at 20/20 cricket for the last couple of years, but in the 4 day format they have done nothing.

Also there is the fact he is seemingly Freddie’s drinking buddy....

Somebody (I forget who, think it was a 5live guy rather than a TMS guy) was on the radio this morning saying that this is one of the side-effects of the central contract system; England players aren't playing for their counties any more, so generally have little captaincy experience if they are in the running for the England captaincy (i.e. a long-term established member of the side).

It would be a massive MASSIVE change in dynamic to appoint Key as captain. There are several others (such as Strauss and Pietersen) who would be annoyed I suspect if anyone was brought in from outside to do the job. I really can't see an alternative to Pietersen. I think he will learn on the job, and will probably be a strong aggressive captain a bit like Ponting (on occasion) and Smith are for their countries.

weird that Cricketing nouse, understanding the game, tactics, hasn't come into this debate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bopara has been brought in for Vaughan. Also Broad and Harmison are in the squad so every chance they will play.

weird that Cricketing nouse, understanding the game, tactics, hasn't come into this debate.

I thought earlier that it would be around post 65 before someone raised this, even with Collingwood managing to get himself suspended for breaking the rules (twice) and now seeming to admit that the captaincy was too much for him.
Be interesting to see if anyone who posted prior to you has ever captained a club team for a season? Still, at least KP, or whoever, won't have to organise the tea.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I'd call switch hitting an example of cricketing nouse.
i'm sure KP had absolutely no understanding of the game or tactics whatsover, i mean how can his cricketing knowledge hope to match ours merely by playing test matches and being the ODI assistant captain?

I'd call switch hitting an example of cricketing nouse.
i'm sure KP had absolutely no understanding of the game or tactics whatsover, i mean how can his cricketing knowledge hope to match ours merely by playing test matches and being the ODI assistant captain?

Doesn't make him a captain, doesn't necessarilly make him a great captain. My comments are not anti Pieterson.

The Captain position in cricket is a mix of football manager (75%) and football captain (25%). Great players don't necessarily make good captains let alone good managers.

To me the last few days have indicated the amateur nature of our cricket.

Well KP had got the job and I hope he flourishes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that KP will be more successful as a one-day skipper than as a test match skipper.

He only plays the game one way, regardless of the situation of the match, whereas Michael Vaughan could adapt.

I admire Vaughan for acting decisively. It would have been easy to hang on in there, but he's told plenty of out-of-form England players to return to their counties and get some runs/wickets under their belts so its admirable to pracxtises what he preaches.

I think he's the best captain we have. He's inspirational, and will lead from the front. Hopefully our other players will learn something from him. Plus, the 'tactics' people refer to aren't solely down to him. He'll have the coach, selectors, and other players to consult, so I don't see him being some sort of tactical disaster.

The ONLY problem with it him being captain is that it might ruin the form of our only truly class batsman. That's why I wasn't overly keen, but it's up to him to prove he can captain AND bat well.

Good luck KP:clap:

No one knows what sort of a captain he'll be. He's NEVER captained any side he's played in before so this really is a bit of a wild card.

As captain, the tactics on the field are totally down to him. Other can give their opinions but HE is the only one to make the decisions. And if they go wromg he has to carry the can (and he's never struck me as being one who can admit to shortcomings!) byt who knows, we'll see.......

Could be an inspired fantastic choice (like Graeme Smith or Ricky Ponting) or a hugeand embarressing failure (like Botham, Flintoff,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here