Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My second choice would be Panesar.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I think he's the best captain we have. He's inspirational, and will lead from the front.

Isn't that just a way of saying he's bloody good?

So surely, if it fucks his batting, then he won't be particularly inspirational?

Slightly unrelated, but where are we touring this winter? Who have we got to play and (hopefully) sort ourselves out against before the big one next summer?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
The ONLY reasons in KP's favour:

He's our best player
If it transforms him like it did Beckham (granted, different sport) then we'll have one HELL of a player.
He's guaranteed a place in the teams anwa

BUT.
If it buggers his form with the bat then the team are F*CKED. Ashes next year, roll on the good old days of being buggered on home soil.
Tactically sound? Did you see that MENTAL shot the other day? The man is ego-driven - he's an individual, not really much of a team player. I can't really see him making key decisions in the field.

Silly. Should have made Bell captain and bought Key back. :nono:

I think shots like the ones he played the other day to get out will become more occassional if he is given the role of captain. As previously mentioned, Pietersen has an edge to his personality and his game. Only very talented quieter players make good captains (Fleming, and for a while, Vaughan), which is why although Bell has done a good job of late, he is not captain material. As for Key, he has never performed consistently for England, but it might be an idea to bring him in to see how he does. Pietersen would be my first choice for captain, he is a fired up individual and is passionate about the game, not to mention his amazing talent. Good luck KP, lets hope people give you a chance:clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I think shots like the ones he played the other day to get out will become more occassional if he is given the role of captain.

But wouldn't that be a BAD thing?

Don't get me wrong, i'm pissed off with the TIMING of that particular shot (and for once, the execution), but the fact that KP plays the shots are what makes him the brilliant player he is.

I wouldn't want him to change his style if he became captain, I'd just want him to learn to ENGAGE HIS BRAIN from time to time when we're under the kosh!

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
But wouldn't that be a BAD thing?

Don't get me wrong, i'm pissed off with the TIMING of that particular shot (and for once, the execution), but the fact that KP plays the shots are what makes him the brilliant player he is.

I wouldn't want him to change his style if he became captain, I'd just want him to learn to ENGAGE HIS BRAIN from time to time when we're under the kosh!

Sorry I put it badly, that's what I meant. I don't mean he'll change as a player, but he may just calm down a bit and take more responsibility when in the same situation. He won't change as a player, but he may show more composure. You can tell he really hurts when he gets out, playing for England means an awful lot to him. That is the commitment we need from our captain. Vaughan's quiet approach worked with what was a very talented squad that we had when we toured WI, SA and of course, the Ashes victory. However, now that younger players have been experimented with on a more regular basis(Broad, Panesar, Anderson, Cook), what they need is a stronger personality to lead them on. I think people are very quick to neglect the fact that his score at Headingley was what helped keep us in the game for longer than we would have expected at the end of Day 2. Other players made bigger mistakes in the game and although KP realy should have kicked on, Colly's knock more than made up for it.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I honestly think he will be named captain of both, he is definitely captain material. But the one thing, which has me abit concerned is. Is his performance with the bat, if he starts doing badly whilst being captain. It could effect him, and his performance at the moment.

WPersonally I'd make Strauss the captain for the final Test, bring in Key at the Oval as a batsman, and if he gets runs make the decision between him and Strauss.

Theoretically, I think that's a good plan. Unfortunately, the resignation of Collingwood tells us that the management team have said they will be going for a joint test and one-day team captain, and Key has no chance of being considered for the one-day role.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
the best bastman in the world, but i dont know about captain, Vaughan was an immense captain, can Pieterson live up to him?

Not even in the top 5 batsman in the world in my opinion. Time is right for a change, but pieterson is not the man, give it to either Collingwood or Strauss.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see how people could suggest Collingwood as he is in the same position as Vaughan struggling to hold his place on his batting and his case his poor bowling.

I would take a backward step to go forward and bring in Ramprakash as a batsman. He struggled previously as a test batsman but has matured since then. Also try to talk Trescothick into playing test cricket again. There are not enough youngsters who are good enough and this has been done in the past and been a benefit. In the past they brought back Illingworth as captain, Brian Close to face the WI fast bowlers and even Rev David Shepherd for 1 game and he scored a ton.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I'm coming round the idea. I was frustrated when ho got out on 94 but lets not forget that it was his aggression and confidence that got him to 94 in the first place. Take someone like Gilchrist who is similar to KP in the way that he was always aggressive. He got out in some stupid ways sometimes but he was never criticised. Criticise those that didn't contribute enough in the test match and threw their wickets away too easily. Cook, Bell, Vaughan and Ambrose spring to mind.

My concern with KP as captain would be that the pressure of the captaincy affects his batting in terms of reigning it a bit and not being so aggresive. The aggressive approach is part of what makes him great.

Surely there is no way the coach, slection panel etc would not know how KP is perceived by the rest of the team and people liek Vaughan and Collingwood would have been asked their thoughts.

I'd quite like to hear what Warne has to say about it. If he reckons he'll be a good captain, thats good enough for me.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As they want a single captain for both the Test and ODI it really has to be Pietersen. I don't really understand the criticism of him for his shot on Friday. Bell, Cook and Vaughan all got out to stupid shots, and not shots they'd usually play. If KP hadn't played the way he did, we wouldn't have a had a shot at winning the match and in doing so he took much of the pressure off COllingwood

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
As they want a single captain for both the Test and ODI it really has to be Pietersen. I don't really understand the criticism of him for his shot on Friday. Bell, Cook and Vaughan all got out to stupid shots, and not shots they'd usually play. If KP hadn't played the way he did, we wouldn't have a had a shot at winning the match and in doing so he took much of the pressure off COllingwood

Agree 100%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here