Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kerry Mayo

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I'm sorry Munkfish but you're wrong on this one. We all have a laugh at times at some of the passing and some of the mistakes that Mayo makes but I thought he had a pretty decent game the other night.

I appreciate where Sir DC is coming from but I don't remember at any point thinking 'Oh shit that blokes gonna do Mayo here', do you? I don't care if the opposition manager thinks that the left side was the weak link, with the pace of Mayo and Butters I would expect him to think that! However their experiance meant they were always a step ahead of the attackers and were always in control.

Now i'm not saying that if we came up against some good right sided players that we wouldn't have a problem, I'm just saying that on Wednesday Mayo did nothing to deserve this abuse! :glare:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
If Mayo had been released in the summer, a section of support would have been up in arms as it would have been another experienced pro going, leaving us with just kids. It would have also meant either relying on the untried Rents or Lynch playing at left back and at the beginning of the season. Lynch was needed as a centre back as we had a number of injuries there and did well enough in that position (until he started to believe NSC!!).

Mayo has not been spectacular this season, however more often than not he has been solid, the worry is at 28 he has got very slow and that should not happen for a few more years.

Also I wonder if there are some reservations about playing Rents and Cox on the left side as there would be no aerial presence at all.

Finally is Rents the long term answer in that position? Personally I am not overly sure, he looks good, but Cobbs is a year younger and already looks better. It is actually a nice position to be in, knowing that yes Mayo might hold that position for another season or so, but there are some decent options coming through.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately there's a section of both NSC and Withdean who get on Mayos back before he even touches the ball. Yes he's had a couple of absolute stinkers this season and yes he looks like he'll be done for pace at times but Wednesday night certainly wasn't one of those occaisons. He had a solid and at times impressive game and this allowed Cox to get forward and torment the Dons.

We've just won the last 2 games scoring 7 and conceeding 1 and yet the first thing some Brighton fans can do is run home to their keyboard and post a thread slagging an individual player :shootself

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
alright then - are you really prepared for this ?

Adam El-Abd
Adam Hinshelwood
Adam Virgo
Adrian Newhouse
Alan Blayney
Albert Jarrett
Alex Frutos
Alex Revell
Alexis Nicholas
Andrew Whing
Andy Ansah
Andy Arnott
Andy Crosby
Andy Petterson
Ashley Neal
Ben Andrews
Ben Roberts
Bobby Zamora
Charlie Oatway
Chris Iwelumo
Chris May
Chris McPhee
Chris Wilder
Christer Warren
Colin Kazim-Richards
Craig Maskell
Damien Hilton
Dan Beck
Dan Harding
Daniel Marney
Daniel Webb
Danny Cullip
Danny Davis
Danny Hinshelwood
Danny Mills
Darius Henderson
Darragh Ryan
Darren Carr
Darren Currie
Darren Freeman
Dave Beasant
David Cameron
David Lee
David Martin
David Yelldell
Dean Blackwell
Dean Cox
Dean Hammond
Dean Wilkins
Dele Adekola
Denny Mundee
Derek Allan
Derek Coughlan
Dirk Lehmann
Doug Loft
Duncan McArthur
Emeke Ifejiagwa
Eric Saul
Federico Turienzo
Florent Chaigneau
Gary Bull
Gary Elphick
Gary Hart
Gary Hobson
Geoff Pitcher
Geoff Woolsey
George Parris
George Santos
Gifton Noel-Williams
Glen Thomas
Graeme Atkinson
Graham Barrett
Greg Berry
Guy Butters
Ian Baird
Ian Chapman
Ian Culverhouse
Ivar Ingimarson
Jake Robinson
James Virgo
Jamie Campbell
Jamie Moralee
Jason Dodd
Jason Peake
Jeff Minton
Jimmy Case
Joe Dolan
Joe Gatting
Joel Lynch
John Byrne
John Humphrey
John Piercy
John Ryan
John Westcott
Junior Lewis
Junior McDougald
Keith McPherson
Kerry Mayo
Kevin McGarrigle
Kevin Nicholls
Lawrence Davies
Lee Doherty
Lee Johnson
Lee Steele
Leon Knight
Lorenzo Pinamonte
Maheta Molango
Mark Cartwright
Mark Fox
Mark McCammon
Mark Morris
Mark Ormerod
Mark Walton
Mark Yeates
Martin Ling
Martin Thomas
Matthew Wicks
Michael Mahoney-Johnson
Michel Kuipers
Mickey Bennett
Nathan Jones
Nicky Rust
Paul Armstrong
Paul Brooker
Paul Emblen
Paul Kitson
Paul Linger
Paul McCarthy
Paul McDonald
Paul McShane
Paul Reid
Paul Rogers
Paul Sturgess
Paul Watson
Peter Smith
Phil Andrews
Phil Hadland
Phil King
Phil Stant
Rami Shaaban
Richard Barker
Richard Carpenter
Robbie Pethick
Robbie Reinelt
Rod Thomas
Ross Flitney
Ross Johnson
Ross McNally
Russel Osman
Ryan Palmer
Sam Rents
Sam Williams
Scott Ramsey
Scott Thomas
Seb Carole
Shaun Wilkinson
Simon Fox
Simon Morgan
Simon Rodger
Simon Royce
Stafford Browne
Staurt Myall
Steve Barnes
Steve Claridge
Steve Foster
Steve Melton
Steve Sidwell
Stuart Jones
Stuart Munday
Stuart Storer
Stuart Tuck
Terry Streeter
Tommy Elphick
Tommy Fraser
Tony Browne
Tony Rougier
Tony Stokes
Trevor Benjamin
Valur Gislason
Warren Aspinall
Wayne Gray
Wayne Henderson
Will Packham
Zeke Rowe
Zesh Rehman

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Guinness Boy said:
Unfortunately there's a section of both NSC and Withdean who get on Mayos back before he even touches the ball. Yes he's had a couple of absolute stinkers this season and yes he looks like he'll be done for pace at times but Wednesday night certainly wasn't one of those occaisons. He had a solid and at times impressive game and this allowed Cox to get forward and torment the Dons.

We've just won the last 2 games scoring 7 and conceeding 1 and yet the first thing some Brighton fans can do is run home to their keyboard and post a thread slagging an individual player :shootself

Cox gets forward despite Mayo, not because of Mayo.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
Interesting thread

Mayo gets slagged and yet the one goal that MK Dons scored came when Adam Hinshelwood lost his man.

I haven't seen one comment on NSC about their goal, but had it been a tight 0-0 affair then that mistake by Hinshelwood would have cost us the game.

However, Hinshelwood is a :thumbsup: according to the unwritten rule of NSC, whereas Kerry is a :tosser:

Please note: I am not advocating that Hinshelwood should have received a barrel load of criticism and am quite content that ome moment of aberation has not been mentioned, but I just think that posters need to take a reality check every now and then

H

helsinki seagull

:flameboun makes me so angry! there is a section of So Called brighton fans who have to have a player to criticise no matter what! remember Storer,remember WENDY and many others all got the same treatment! WE should applaud Mayo he has been a stalwart for this club thro' all the worst times of the clubs history and experienced pro's with a thorough knowledge of the game have seen fit to play Kerry.. Just get off the guys back..
This club would be a poorer place without Kerry Mayo

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Lord Bracknell said:
I now understand that Fraser's suicidal pass in a backwards direction was not a "backpass", because (a) it didn't involve the goalkeeper and (b) it wasn't made by Mayo.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Well, yes. It's fairly common football terminology, a pass in a backwards direction and a "backpass" are not the same thing.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
so just to conclude TLO is a absoulte twat and hides behind everyone elses constructive remarks.

And that the majority think mayo can still do a job!?

we can only wait and see!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here