Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
While lockdowns haven't directly been Starmer's fault, he's done nothing to challenge the governments utter punishment of the pub and restaurant industry. So IMHO the landlord was right.

IMO Starmer and the opposition were in a no win situation due to Covid, How would it look if they were seen to be going against the government in a pandemic? when they needed to be seen to pull together.
As Johnson was braying at him at every PMQs.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I used to vote Labour, but they don't seem to have any identity anymore.
Sir Keir just seems to be a fill-in. I feel I only have one option, to vote for the conservatives until we become some meaningful opposition again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did find it amusing when Sir Kier cooly handed the muppet his glasses back.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Punishment? Strange word.

Agree. I'm not sure exactly what people expect should have been done. Johnson delayed every lockdown despite protests from Labour, to the point that the lockdowns had to be more severe and extended. Pubs and hospitality are about meeting people, exactly what an airborn transmitted virus would thrive on. It's tough on the trade but nobody planned this.

This ranting landlord is understandably pissed off he's lost money but his ire should be directed at Johnson. Doesn't matter what Starmer could or should have said, Johnson and this government do what they chose,

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Laughable. Have you bought that old chestnut that "there's no evidence that CV19 spreads in pubs"?

Feel free to provide the evidence .... the government hasn't despite numerous requests from the industry.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I used to vote Labour, but they don't seem to have any identity anymore.
Sir Keir just seems to be a fill-in. I feel I only have one option, to vote for the conservatives until we become some meaningful opposition again.

I either don't believe this or don't understand. How can someone who claims to have voted for a left leaning party suddenly decide to vote the diametrically opposite party as if it's the only alternative.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I either don't believe this or don't understand. How can someone who claims to have voted for a left leaning party suddenly decide to vote the diametrically opposite party as if it's the only alternative.
There's millions like him unfortunately

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree. I'm not sure exactly what people expect should have been done. Johnson delayed every lockdown despite protests from Labour, to the point that the lockdowns had to be more severe and extended. Pubs and hospitality are about meeting people, exactly what an airborn transmitted virus would thrive on. It's tough on the trade but nobody planned this.

This ranting landlord is understandably pissed off he's lost money but his ire should be directed at Johnson. Doesn't matter what Starmer could or should have said, Johnson and this government do what they chose,

Are you genuinely saying that pubs would’ve been open far more in the last 13 months if Corbyn or Starmer had been PM?

Across Europe, governments of all political persuasions have had very long lockdowns, some are still in the midst of them. I follow events in some European nations closely, desperate to get back to visiting, businesses/business leaders/regional leaders are livid.

Why would the UK have been different to the rest?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I’m confused.

There’s an entire NSC thread about Starmer owning Boris at PMQ’s, destroying him every week over the last year.

Which one’s the reality?

I'm not saying that at any Stage, Johnson was besting him, he just kept pointing out that Starmer should be backing him not opposing. (with pre written insults thrown in)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Feel free to provide the evidence .... the government hasn't despite numerous requests from the industry.

You haven't understood the point. There is no evidence, which is the point I was making, so I can't provide the evidence. But that's the nonsense that the industry have come up with. And that's because it's a pretty much impossible thing to collect evidence on.
What we do know is that the virus spreads indoors and when people congregate in close distances to one another. We have an abundance of evidence for that. The government finally took notice of the experts who had been telling them this through September, into October, onto November and into December, before they eventually did something about it -- probably because they were listening to siren voices claiming that shutting down hospitality constituted punishment.
And then they locked down. And then the number of cases started to fall. And then the number of hospitalisations began to fall. And then the number of deaths began to fall.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Are you genuinely saying that pubs would’ve been open far more in the last 13 months if Corbyn or Starmer had been PM?

Across Europe, governments of all political persuasions have had very long lockdowns, some are still in the midst of them. I follow events in some European nations closely, desperate to get back to visiting, businesses/business leaders/regional leaders are livid.

Without wanting to put words into [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION]'s mouth, he's saying that if you act early and strictly, you prevent the virus getting out of hand and can come out of lockdown earlier (hence drew indicating that Starmer was calling for locking down earlier -- which is what happened), whereas if you react too late, it'll lead to a longer, stricter lockdown.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm saying the lockdowns may have been shorter if they had been introduced sooner, as per the science. There was talk of a two week circuit breaker back in Sept. It was over a month before we had lockdown in November and by then it had taken hold again. More severe but shorter lockdowns would have impeded the spread. Remember the lockdowns were to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed (it came pretty damn close in the last lockdown but hey, people had a better xmas!!!).

We could have had several circuit breaker lockdowns but then periods of businesses trading under covid guidelines eg. 2 week circuit breaker, 6 week trading, 2wk circuit breaker, 6 weeks trading etc etc. All the time keeping the borders closed for all travel and enforcing the rules during lockdown, not engaging and educating!!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

I do find this 'show me the evidence or it can't possibly be true' line VERY tiring. Heard it from all sorts - pubs, theatres, nightclubs... The evidence is common sense... If you crowd a load of people into a poorly ventilate tight space, with their mates, for several hours whilst plying them with alcohol the virus is obviously going to spread. We know enough about the virus for this to be obvious, we don't need some stupid big expensive study (that're you not going accept paying for) to tell us this and the fact one doesn't exist isn't a sign of some big evil cover up or that the government is out to PUNISH your particular sector (I mean really? :mad: ) It's more just a good example of why those people are the ones in charge and you're an angry pub landlord...

In short, the landlord is a plank and those sympathising are no better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here