Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The more he upsets Corbynites, the more likely he’ll be PM after the next election. He is currently very much on track.

Really?

He's still quite a long way behind. Behind despite the utter utter shambles of this government, Boris, Jenrick, Cummings debacle and all.

And despite having been handed a set of almost universally popular policies (many now being taken up by this government, having branded them previously as extremist and marxist) without the personal damage inflicted by being the one to moot them in the first place. Despite taking the first possible opportunity to distance himself from Corbyn by dumping on LRB.

We were told by the anti-Corbyn brigade that Starmer would be 20 points ahead by now, and he's done everything the centrists would have wanted but still he is not beating Boris and Cummings in the polls. BORIS and CUMMINGS. Ffs. He is behind them in popularity.

I was/am a Corbyn supporter, although if you can be bothered to check my posting history, you will see not an uncritical one. I actually voted for Starmer (though not without some thought). But I was never under any illusions that the problem was just Corbyn or that Starmer would waltz to an easy lead in the polls.

The problem that needs to be overcome is not within Labour. It is the tactics of their opposition. The willingness to lie, to unleash the right wing media and on-line dark arts in ways we have not seen before. The willingness to do whatever it takes to stay in power no matter what damage that may cause to our country or our democracy. Without a strategy to expose and counter this, I fear the indivdual 'leadership' is an irrelevance. And so far as I see little sign of that strategy. Winning debates at PMQs may make a few people on NSC political threads purr, but it won't win an election.

Anyway, four years to go. Where we are now and where we will be in a couple of years are worlds apart.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We were told by the anti-Corbyn brigade that Starmer would be 20 points ahead by now, and he's done everything the centrist would have wanted but still, not beating Boris and Cummings in the polls. BORIS and CUMMINGS. Ffs. He is behind them in popularity.

Who the hell said that Labour would be 20 points ahead? No-one with any sort of political brain would have said anything so stupid. What has happened is that Starmer has overtaken Johnson as preferred PM - which is pretty good going for someone who's only been in power for three months.

But it's going to be a tough ask to overtake the Tories in the polls - at least this year. First of all, Tories were 15% ahead in the GE, only eight months ago and there's always a honeymoon period for a new government, especially one so far ahead. Second, there's a national crisis and governments always muster support in times of crisis and third, Brexit is still a major factor and there a lot of voters who will opt for the Tories "to get Brexit done". I'm surprised that Labour is within five or six points of the Tories TBH. But I didn't factor in what a mess the government would make of Covid.

Let's see what the picture looks like in a year's time - or in two years. That's when we'll get a better idea

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The more he upsets Corbynites, the more likely he’ll be PM after the next election. He is currently very much on track.

He has a huge task ahead but he is calling out this mendacious government effectively and showing Johnston for the clown he is at PMQs; that's a good start from the Leader of the Opposition.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Very much on track!!!!!
Hang on.....let me remind myself of the last election result....oh yes.... Labour's heaviest election defeat for 80 years. Starmer will struggle to overturn that in a decade.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very much on track!!!!!
Hang on.....let me remind myself of the last election result....oh yes.... Labour's heaviest election defeat for 80 years. Starmer will struggle to overturn that in a decade.

I’d be inclined to, when thinking about the election in 2024, look at the current and future performance of this Government rather than last year’s election result where many Labour supporters ‘lent’ their vote over Brexit. You are assuming that the Country will forgive the Tories for their handling of the Coronavirus pandemic, I’m not quite so sure. Didn’t work for Labour after the 2008 global financial crash.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Very much on track!!!!!

After the cluster**** that is the current government, i'd be surprised if it lasted that long. I don't think it'll happen by the next GE as the tories will do and say anything to keep their grip on us proles, but i expect a closer margin than the last GE.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I’d be inclined to, when thinking about the election in 2024, look at the current and future performance of this Government rather than last year’s election result where many Labour supporters ‘lent’ their vote over Brexit. You are assuming that the Country will forgive the Tories for their handling of the Coronavirus pandemic, I’m not quite so sure. Didn’t work for Labour after the 2008 global financial crash.

In 4 years or so we shall, as a nation, be still right royally ####ed.

I'm not sure people will be falling over themselves to elect a Party hellbent on nationalising everything that moves.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Coronavirus will still be with us for a while, and the government will have to accept an independent inquiry into their handling at some point - that's not going to be pretty for them.

Brexit has only happened in name so far. The reality won't kick in until next year, and I fully expect it to be a rude awakening for many when the economic impact does kick in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Week by week Starmer is exposing Boris's shortcomings in PMQs. It is fascinating to watch Boris and his team floundering in the face of this forensic examination. Boris's latest tactic is to ridicule Labour's stance when supporting some Covid measures but questioning others as some sort of indecisive flip-flopping, when it is little more than providing constructive criticism at a time of national crisis.

Of course the bigger test is when Starmer is unleashed in front of the British public, and whether he can cut through with the common touch. For that he will need the support of those around him - Rayner, Dodds, Nandy, Thomas-Symonds, Lammy, Ashworth. Again, I think he's chosen this team well with Scotland, Wales, London and the North all represented in his inner circle, all places that need their hearts and minds won over by Labour once more.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Very much on track!!!!!

This is one of the common myths that gets stated.
In normal times and normal voting patterns this may have some credence.
But there is no Political majority which cannot be overturned in a single landslide election.

The tories are currently doing badly enough, to create the right sort of environment for a landslide defeat.

They will, of course, ditch Johnson and Cummings if they continue to be seen as toxic to the electorate.
But for now, the Tories have lost all the momentum they had back in December and Labour are the ones picking up in the polls

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Boris's latest tactic is to ridicule Labour's stance when supporting some Covid measures but questioning others as some sort of indecisive flip-flopping, when it is little more than providing constructive criticism at a time of national crisis.

And note how he criticises Labour for not working with the Tory government 100% over Covid but sacks Julian Lewis from the Tory parliamentary party because he's working with Labour.

Johnson's not the issue: he'll be gone this time next year. Starmer's task will be much harder once the Conservatives choose someone competent (unless they have a brain freeze and opt for Patel)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Really?

He's still quite a long way behind. Behind despite the utter utter shambles of this government, Boris, Jenrick, Cummings debacle and all.

And despite having been handed a set of almost universally popular policies (many now being taken up by this government, having branded them previously as extremist and marxist) without the personal damage inflicted by being the one to moot them in the first place. Despite taking the first possible opportunity to distance himself from Corbyn by dumping on LRB.

We were told by the anti-Corbyn brigade that Starmer would be 20 points ahead by now, and he's done everything the centrists would have wanted but still he is not beating Boris and Cummings in the polls. BORIS and CUMMINGS. Ffs. He is behind them in popularity.

I was/am a Corbyn supporter, although if you can be bothered to check my posting history, you will see not an uncritical one. I actually voted for Starmer (though not without some thought). But I was never under any illusions that the problem was just Corbyn or that Starmer would waltz to an easy lead in the polls.

The problem that needs to be overcome is not within Labour. It is the tactics of their opposition. The willingness to lie, to unleash the right wing media and on-line dark arts in ways we have not seen before. The willingness to do whatever it takes to stay in power no matter what damage that may cause to our country or our democracy. Without a strategy to expose and counter this, I fear the indivdual 'leadership' is an irrelevance. And so far as I see little sign of that strategy. Winning debates at PMQs may make a few people on NSC political threads purr, but it won't win an election.

Anyway, four years to go. Where we are now and where we will be in a couple of years are worlds apart.

Well put, it's going to take years to dismantle the rightwing established media circus that tears the left to pieces at every opportunity. We may never have a fair centre media in our life time which is a scandal as many left politicians are good people and have people rights and welfare at the top of their agenda.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And note how he criticises Labour for not working with the Tory government 100% over Covid but sacks Julian Lewis from the Tory parliamentary party because he's working with Labour.

Johnson's not the issue: he'll be gone this time next year. Starmer's task will be much harder once the Conservatives choose someone competent (unless they have a brain freeze and opt for Patel)

The only person suitable to take over from Boris is Rishi Sunak, but despite his qualities I fancy for such an inexperienced top line politician leading the UK out of the mess Boris has created will be too much for him. Similarly, the purge of all moderates from the party leaves Sunak with only rabid Brexiteers from which to select his Cabinet.

We don't even know yet Sunak's level of personal commitment to an apparent Hard Brexit policy.

The bottom line is I don't see he - or anyone else - would have much scope to change the course of the ship as it approaches the iceberg.

Although it will be hard to resist, Sunak would do well to let someone else like Raab or Gove take over from Boris and let them take the flak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here