Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Starmer's single biggest problem is that he is as dull as dishwater. Steady and boring. Maybe he will start to become slightly more attractive over the next decade in opposition, as eventually, as always happens, the government starts to lose appeal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Starmer's single biggest problem is that he is as dull as dishwater. Steady and boring. Maybe he will start to become slightly more attractive over the next decade in opposition, as eventually, as always happens, the government starts to lose appeal.

But that shouldn't be the issue. I don't want some flamboyant showman who plays to the cameras but makes crap decisions. Politics and running the country shouldn't be about entertainment, it should be about substance.

Take PMQs for example, all the reviews of it tend to refer to the theatre of the session rather than if anything of substance came out it.

As a comparison, would you want a flamboyant Dr, prone to the odd mistake and gamble but entertaining nonetheless, or a dullard that will save your life?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But that shouldn't be the issue. I don't want some flamboyant showman who plays to the cameras but makes crap decisions. Politics and running the country shouldn't be about entertainment, it should be about substance.

Take PMQs for example, all the reviews of it tend to refer to the theatre of the session rather than if anything of substance came out it.

As a comparison, would you want a flamboyant Dr, prone to the odd mistake and gamble but entertaining nonetheless, or a dullard that will save your life?

Exactly. Countries very much need to be led by competent legislators. Instead the Facebook generation wants an X-Factor style contest and referenda for everything.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

In the era of Trump and Johnson, steady and boring is EXACTLY what we are desperate for!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In the era of Trump and Johnson, steady and boring is EXACTLY what we are desperate for!

I think the public will tire of Johnson's waffle, lies and bluster long before the next election. He's going to be eviscerated at PMQs every week - the guy has no attention to detail and is going to be facing the sharpest, most analytical leader of the opposition since Thatcher took on Sunny Jim (and he was no fool). It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Johnson dumped within the next couple of years - the Tories are much more ruthless than Labour when it comes to dumping liabilities.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the public will tire of Johnson's waffle, lies and bluster long before the next election.

the same public that watch Love Island and Mrs Brown's Boys? think he has a longer lease there than with the politicans. PMQs is just theatre for followers of politics and general public consumption is reduced down to one or two quotes. if covered at all, the reports are usually partisan regardless of what was said or how.

hopefully Keir will bring some much needed focus on topical issues and not seemingly pick something from a hat.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
the same public that watch Love Island and Mrs Brown's Boys? think he has a longer lease there than with the politicans. PMQs is just theatre for followers of politics and general public consumption is reduced down to one or two quotes.

I disagree. Iain Duncan Smith was displaced as leader within a couple of years - before he even fought an election. The Tories booted him out as he was such a poor performer; he couldn't lay a glove on Blair at PMQ.

The Tories booted out Thatcher just a few years after she'd won a whopping majority - for the third time. May lasted two years as leader, Douglas Home last two years as leader, Eden lasted two years as leader, Howard lasted three years as leader - they're absolutely ruthless if they smell blood in the water.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
More good news for Starmer.

Momentum splintering... here is the new 'Forward Momentum' (aka The People's Front of Judea)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just watched PM Questions from yesterday....

Unlike JC, didn't simply reel off a list of preset questions, but actually listened to the answers and then asked questions of them.

Think its fair to say Starmer might seem dull but for many Tories he seems pretty dangerous. Will be harder in future for Johnson to hide...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Unlike JC, didn't simply reel off a list of preset questions, but actually listened to the answers and then asked questions of them.

Think its fair to say Starmer might seem dull but for many Tories he seems pretty dangerous. Will be harder in future for Johnson to hide...

Agreed. He was totally in control of the situation. I particularly liked his "no, I don't need correcting" comment -- he's prepared and expecting certain responses, so he can get his point across. They ought to be on notice that they can't get away with their usual trite responses at PMQs for now at least. It will be interesting to see the first Johnson-Starmer altercation. Two completely different characters, with their own distinctive styles.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Missed that can you post a link?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agreed. He was totally in control of the situation. I particularly liked his "no, I don't need correcting" comment -- he's prepared and expecting certain responses, so he can get his point across. They ought to be on notice that they can't get away with their usual trite responses at PMQs for now at least. It will be interesting to see the first Johnson-Starmer altercation. Two completely different characters, with their own distinctive styles.

That was a tremendous riposte. Took the type of lazy, inaccurate answer we've come to expect in recent years, sharpened it up and used it to eviscerate Raab. Comprehensively outwitted.

Unfortunately, we seem to have reached the point in this country though where anyone that tears apart a politician's argument is regarded as over-stepping the mark and a lot of people will still side with the bumbling BJ. It's a bizarre state of affairs. I'm not sure when the public lost sight of the absolute fact that MPs work for us and, as such, can rightly be expected to be fully accountable for their actions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was a tremendous riposte. Took the type of lazy, inaccurate answer we've come to expect in recent years, sharpened it up and used it to eviscerate Raab. Comprehensively outwitted.

Unfortunately, we seem to have reached the point in this country though where anyone that tears apart a politician's argument is regarded as over-stepping the mark and a lot of people will still side with the bumbling BJ. It's a bizarre state of affairs. I'm not sure when the public lost sight of the absolute fact that MPs work for us and, as such, can rightly be expected to be fully accountable for their actions.

It is unpatriotic to criticise the PM at a time of crisis.

:facepalm::wrong::thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If only Starmer had been Leader of the Opposition at the last Election.....

If only he'd been leader at the 2015, Cameron was there for taking. Instead we got Corbyn which made room for racism and xenophobia to get a grip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here