Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keeping it special : waiting for the Donny game

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The whole day will be amazing...

- It will be sunny.
- Town before the game will be full of Albion fans, smiling, chattering, full of little-kid excitement.
- Atmosphere will build as people make their way to the stadium, probably getting there far earlier than they would normally.
- Pre-match emotions will build - there will be warm hand-shakes, hugs, tears and thoughts to those who didn't make it.
- Then, around 2:55, the blue and white stripes will emerge into the dazzling sunlight to a full-on version of Sussex by the Sea. The crowd will go mental.
- We will stuff Donny, we really will. It's in the script.
- Meander back to town, cheeks aching from the non-stop smiles, and a few more beers as people reflect on the day, and look forward to the season ahead.

I can't wait, I really can't.

My oh my. These are indeed happy days.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I guess Donny will decide how many tickets they want soon, so we will know if we have an extra 1000 South Stand tix to sell.

Edit: Just checked the Donny website and apparently this game will take place at The Withdean Stadium!

I think our website has us playing at Withdean too, you would have thought we could get that right.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I was a "save it for Donny" man but as the finishing touches have been put to the Amex, I've found the photos on here more and more tempting. As such I'm almost certainly going to the Spurs game and might give the SSC a go too.

I really can't see attending either/both detracting from the Donny day though. The ramp-up games will be about the excitement of seeing the bright and sparkly stadium, but the Donny game is where it all begins: our first proper game in our proper stadium.

The whole day will be amazing...

- It will be sunny.
- Town before the game will be full of Albion fans, smiling, chattering, full of little-kid excitement.
- Atmosphere will build as people make their way to the stadium, probably getting there far earlier than they would normally.
- Pre-match emotions will build - there will be warm hand-shakes, hugs, tears and thoughts to those who didn't make it.
- Then, around 2:55, the blue and white stripes will emerge into the dazzling sunlight to a full-on version of Sussex by the Sea. The crowd will go mental.
- We will stuff Donny, we really will. It's in the script.
- Meander back to town, cheeks aching from the non-stop smiles, and a few more beers as people reflect on the day, and look forward to the season ahead.

I can't wait, I really can't.

that has genuinely just brought a tear to my eye. *dabs tear from eye* the waterworks will be pouring on the 6th

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
In theory I totally agree. However I have decided to do both ramp ups because I don't want any cock ups on the big day.

I want to know where the car parks are. I want to know where the entrance is, where the toilets and bar are and fully enjoy the Doncaster day to the full.

Imagine if you f*** up on the day and it spoils it. I want to be used to my seat come that first game so I can just sit back and enjoy.

Precisely why I am going to the Spurs game. I want to know things like that before the "big" day. I don't want to risk wasting time going to the wrong entrance, block or seat etc on the day of the Donny game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In theory I totally agree. However I have decided to do both ramp ups because I don't want any cock ups on the big day.

I want to know where the car parks are. I want to know where the entrance is, where the toilets and bar are and fully enjoy the Doncaster day to the full.

Imagine if you f*** up on the day and it spoils it. I want to be used to my seat come that first game so I can just sit back and enjoy.

Similar sentiments...doing Spurs as a dress rehearsal before the main event. It won't detract from Donny at all....I will be as joyful and tearful as the next man then. As you say, I can iron out the wrinkles, crack the parking, get the feel of the ground. Walk all round it...club shop, supporters bar etc...get the feel of everything.
Donny will be very special and I just want to soak it up

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Precisely why I am going to the Spurs game. I want to know things like that before the "big" day. I don't want to risk wasting time going to the wrong entrance, block or seat etc on the day of the Donny game.

I want ALL of these. It will be like my first fumble at a party with a girl. Perhaps I could take the analogy a bit further, and see finding my seat as actually losing my cherry, but perhaps with a more experienced lass, who has had a couple before me (SSC + Spurs) :thumbsup:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I will be a Amex Virgin at the tender age of 53 !!
Ive waited 13 years since The Goldstone went ande I have no intention of going to the meaningless freindlies (NO Offence meant ) as I want the real thing on the day, also the only down side of the Donny game at The Amex is that my eldest son cant make it as he will be at sea, so the first proper game that myself,him and his younger brother will be making is the Blackpool game, so two games that will be history in our family !!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm waiting too.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can't make the SSC cup game and failed to get a Spurs ticket, but now actually quite pleased that Donny will be my first visit. I intend to be in the supporters' bar at 12.01 precisely.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I'm waiting as well. I just want that uber amount of excitement on the 1st game of the season. Drinkies in town at 11, head off to the Amex at 12. Walk around the whole ground, soak up the atmosphere and head into the west lower for a beverage or 8 at about one. Go and sit in my seat, back to the bar. Sing my heart out enjoy the build up. Marvellous, cannot wait.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I can see both sides of this one - unfortunately decision taken out of my hands as I can't make the Donny game. Therefore, may as well get my first look next week rather than "save the experience" for Gillingham.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
I think quite a few people will be showing a tear or two ecspecially if they play right here right now before the players come out

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Yep, as I just posted in another thread, after all this time at Withdean and the anticipation watching the stadium being built quite literally day-by-day on the webcam. I want my first experience to be perfect. I've pictured it in my head twenty dozen times. Getting off the train at Falmer Station surrounded by the buzz of fans going through the same emotions. The anticipation and excitement as the perfect stadium proudly sits ahead. Having a browse through the new Seagulls Store and probably buying half a dozen things just for the sake of it (I hope they have a plentiful supply of flags).

Going through the turnstile for the very first time with the swanky new Season Ticket card. Looking around the clean and polished concourse that I'll soon become very familiar with. Standing in line for my Butternut Squash pie, recently baked on-site at the stadium and taking a swig of Albion Ale to wash it down. And then, the moment that you walk up the stairs and out into the stand - seeing the glorious West Stand ahead and the green grass of our new home. The stands packed with not a single seat in the house empty, and.... atmosphere at an Albion home game.

I'm pretty sure that, even at 30 years old, I'll have more than a few tears in my eyes. The best part is that I know for sure that I wont be the only one.

just how id have imagined it, cant wait

ezmally

Sep 16, 2006
Hastings
Yep, as I just posted in another thread, after all this time at Withdean and the anticipation watching the stadium being built quite literally day-by-day on the webcam. I want my first experience to be perfect. I've pictured it in my head twenty dozen times. Getting off the train at Falmer Station surrounded by the buzz of fans going through the same emotions. The anticipation and excitement as the perfect stadium proudly sits ahead. Having a browse through the new Seagulls Store and probably buying half a dozen things just for the sake of it (I hope they have a plentiful supply of flags).

Going through the turnstile for the very first time with the swanky new Season Ticket card. Looking around the clean and polished concourse that I'll soon become very familiar with. Standing in line for my Butternut Squash pie, recently baked on-site at the stadium and taking a swig of Albion Ale to wash it down. And then, the moment that you walk up the stairs and out into the stand - seeing the glorious West Stand ahead and the green grass of our new home. The stands packed with not a single seat in the house empty, and.... atmosphere at an Albion home game.

I'm pretty sure that, even at 30 years old, I'll have more than a few tears in my eyes. The best part is that I know for sure that I wont be the only one.

:cry: Well said that man. Beautiful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here